Steez TW ticking sound/vibration

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Steez TW ticking sound/vibration

Post by LowRange » Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:25 pm

filthyPhil wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:40 am
LowRange wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:09 am
filthyPhil wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:51 am
Bought a Steez A and SV both brand new this spring and both had the click/tick. Sold both on marketplace for what I had in them and probably wont buy another daiwa. It's a shame, I had wanted a steez so bad for years but my experience with the two ruined me on the whole brand. You shouldn't have to switch gears or spools on a $500 reel to get it to perform normally.
What you may have been hearing is the spool pin clicking around in the pinion yoke. With this applying pressure to the spool and turning the handle makes it go away. I agree that is is a nuisance. All my Daiwas do it. It's not something that happens on the water. It's still annoying to hold a $500 marvel in your hand only to turn the handle and here click click click are you crank on it.
Swapped bearings and spool pins to no avail and finally said screw it out of frustration and got rid of them. Left a really bad taste in my mouth seeing as how the older TDZ and Zillions were such great reels. I will say the clicking didn't affect the performance but was an annoyance issue. I hope daiwa gets this issue resolved for future models but after my experience I will stick with shimano and lews for the foreseeable future.
They didn't do it on the water dis they? Only when cranking on a reel with no bait attached?

filthyPhil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by filthyPhil » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:24 pm

LowRange wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:25 pm
filthyPhil wrote:
LowRange wrote:
filthyPhil wrote:
Bought a Steez A and SV both brand new this spring and both had the click/tick. Sold both on marketplace for what I had in them and probably wont buy another daiwa. It's a shame, I had wanted a steez so bad for years but my experience with the two ruined me on the whole brand. You shouldn't have to switch gears or spools on a $500 reel to get it to perform normally.
What you may have been hearing is the spool pin clicking around in the pinion yoke. With this applying pressure to the spool and turning the handle makes it go away. I agree that is is a nuisance. All my Daiwas do it. It's not something that happens on the water. It's still annoying to hold a $500 marvel in your hand only to turn the handle and here click click click are you crank on it.
Swapped bearings and spool pins to no avail and finally said screw it out of frustration and got rid of them. Left a really bad taste in my mouth seeing as how the older TDZ and Zillions were such great reels. I will say the clicking didn't affect the performance but was an annoyance issue. I hope daiwa gets this issue resolved for future models but after my experience I will stick with shimano and lews for the foreseeable future.
They didn't do it on the water dis they? Only when cranking on a reel with no bait attached?
They would make the clicking during the retrieve while fishing. I popped the spools, inspected the pins and re inserted them with no improvement. Never really thought to try it without a lure attached.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:07 pm

filthyPhil wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:24 pm
LowRange wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:25 pm
filthyPhil wrote:
LowRange wrote:
filthyPhil wrote:
They would make the clicking during the retrieve while fishing. I popped the spools, inspected the pins and re inserted them with no improvement. Never really thought to try it without a lure attached.
If it happens under load then its not the "problem" mine have. All mine except a Fuego are tick free under load. They all clickety clack with no bait tied on and I start winding in imaginary

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:13 am

Mine will not happen when turning the reel in hand. I bought a magnifying glass to examine all internals, no help. Greased and cleaned, no help. Some casts it will not happen, other days it did it all day. I will give Bryan at Tackle Trap a shout today and see where they have gotten on it.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:52 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:13 am
Mine will not happen when turning the reel in hand. I bought a magnifying glass to examine all internals, no help. Greased and cleaned, no help. Some casts it will not happen, other days it did it all day. I will give Bryan at Tackle Trap a shout today and see where they have gotten on it.
But when you were turning it by hand, did you apply some slight pressure on the spool with your thumb? This is important because on mine, if i don't, its as smooth as new.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:10 pm

I actually felt the strange subtle tick though the knobs when fishing one of my Alphas. It was weird. I chalked it up to something like a coil of flouro falling into a gap between the ropes of already laid line on the spool while under tension. Sort of rolling off the top of a coil of line and snapping down into a groove. Maybe this is nonsense and the mystery tick was something mechanical in the reel. Only happened once.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:04 pm

LowRange wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:10 pm
I actually felt the strange subtle tick though the knobs when fishing one of my Alphas. It was weird. I chalked it up to something like a coil of flouro falling into a gap between the ropes of already laid line on the spool while under tension. Sort of rolling off the top of a coil of line and snapping down into a groove. Maybe this is nonsense and the mystery tick was something mechanical in the reel. Only happened once.
I initially convinced myself that could be going on with my Steez too, just line laying into the spool, because the reel is so smooth otherwise. I will call before long and ask how it is going, doesn't really matter though, I cannot fish so well with just having surgery anyways.
SSS wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:52 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:13 am
But when you were turning it by hand, did you apply some slight pressure on the spool with your thumb? This is important because on mine, if i don't, its as smooth as new.
Yeah putting pressure on the spool did nothing for mine. There was no rocking inside the spool pin, I even took the pinion out and checked it on the spool pin separately. Interestingly I did find that the Zillion SV TW spool SHAFT is thinner than the stock Steez A spool shaft, I assume they built it thicker for heavier duty work? I feel bad that maybe Tackle Trap is busy and I dumped an issue on them. Maybe I should have taken Digitaka up on the offer to return it???

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:19 pm

Hi,

I had a similar sound with a Steez A that I had purchase almost 5 years ago. Also happened very early in its life.

For me the issue originated from the silver pin that is right over the wormshaft that is supposed to stabilize the reel's two side (not sure what it is called). In my Steez it was loose (eventually even fell out). You might want to see if it is loose and if your problem persists when you stabilize this pin.

Cheers!

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:48 pm

Which part exactly?Image

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:03 pm

SSS wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:48 pm
Which part exactly?Image
That would be item number 36. Its the silver long pin that connects both sides of the reel.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:54 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:03 pm
SSS wrote:
Which part exactly?
That would be item number 36. Its the silver long pin that connects both sides of the reel.
Can't be the reason in my case since this part can't add any ticking vibration while the spool is under load.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:00 pm

SSS wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:54 pm
freelancer27 wrote:
SSS wrote:
Which part exactly?
Can't be the reason in my case since this part can't add any ticking vibration while the spool is under load.
Hmm,

would you be able to make a video? (Easy option since uploads here are tricky: Upload it onto google drive and share the link)

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:49 am

freelancer27 wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:00 pm
SSS wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:54 pm
freelancer27 wrote:
SSS wrote:
Which part exactly?
Hmm,

would you be able to make a video? (Easy option since uploads here are tricky: Upload it onto google drive and share the link)
Can't do a vid, the real is fully disassembled :crying: But what i can say is that the ticking vibration you feel is exactly the same as you would by lightly hitting the frame of the reel with your fingernail. Its a very slight tick, but when the reel is as smooth as it is, its very easy to feel it and its incredibly annoying. I have also counted it ticking 7 times with a full revolution of the handle.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:35 am

Ok, no worries.

Do you have a 7.1:1 gear ratio?

Since you checked already each possible bearing. Did you check item 98 ( not sure what its called)?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:15 am

freelancer27 wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:35 am
Ok, no worries.

Do you have a 7.1:1 gear ratio?

Since you checked already each possible bearing. Did you check item 98 ( not sure what its called)?
That would be the anti reverse roller bearings or AR bearing.