Daiwa TD-S 105?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa TD-S black limited?

Post by LowRange » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:35 pm

Add one more addition to the things that make this reel interesting. It has a non disengaging level wind. When drag is pulled the level wind tracks back and forth. I like my new weird TDZ Procaster 103.

Also edited title to reflect the model name. I don't think these are really a limited edition reel. That was just the seller making up nonsense. They are somewhat rare though.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa TD-S 105?

Post by LowRange » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:55 am

Still doing some digging on these. I think the TD-S has USDM and JDM versions. The righty USDM TD-S 103 being a lower spec charcoal grey TD-X 103. The lefty TD-S 103HSDL being a lower spec charcoal grey lefty TD-X 103HSDL. This is not to be confused with the TD-Z shaped TD-X 103HL that I assume came later?

A few questions still remain.

Did the US market ever get the TD-Z looking lefty flipping frame TD-X 103HL or did we only get the Procaster based TD-X 103HSDL? Did we get both and one replaced the other? What in the heck is up with the JDM TD-Z looking restyled Procaster called a TD-S 105H? How old is that thing?

Putting the peices of the puzzle together we have what I think looks like:

USDM TD-S 103
USDM TD-X 103
USDM TD-S 103HSDL
USDM TD-X 103HSDL

And then we have the JDM reels

JDM TD-S 103/105H
JDM TD-X 103/105
JDM TD-S 105HL
JDM TD-X 103HL