Daiwa TD-S 105?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Daiwa TD-S 105?

Post by LowRange » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:43 am

Anyone know the history on these and what other reels share compatible parts? I have two of these on the way. One is a righty and the other is the lefty flipping frame version. Interestingly they don't look like just a black TDS or TDX but have more of a TD-Z esque shape. They are also Magforce V reels. Interesting reels and cheap. Going to make the TD-S 103H into a skipping reel with an SS SV spool and the lefty 105HL into a pitching reel with a Type R+ spool. That's the plan anyways.
Last edited by LowRange on Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Daiwa TD-S black limited?

Post by y2k88 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:55 am

Tdx is the poor brother to tdz.
Tds is the poor brother to tdx

Not sure there was anything limited about them...

Daiwa named similarly for their tdz spin reels.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:21 pm

They are TD-S but have a redesigned frame and side plate to give it a more ergonomic shape over the regular TD-S. I assume they are mechanically identical to a TD-S on the inside. I wonder if they were JDM only? Anyways the righty is going onto a cheap shorty rod for skipping and the lefty is going to be my venture into the flipping daiwas. If I like it I'll track down a higher end flipping frame reel.

Weird black TD-S
"Normal" TD-S

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:23 pm

Weird black flipping TD-S

Normal flipping TD-S

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:33 pm

From a Daiwa reel evolution these strike me as either inspired by the Air Metal TD-X/TD-Z or predate those reels as the 1st of their kind to feature this shape. I can't find any hard into out to date these reels. Can anyone ball park it based on the box? Either way I think they are really neat.

Top profile of this thing

Top profile of a TD-Z 105HL

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:14 pm

I'd say they date to the time of the Procaster-Z given the similarities. They might even use the same frame. I'm guessing these came about right around the same time as the TD-Z as an updated last hurrah for the TD-S name as a Procaster with a TD-Z inspired shape? These might have been JDM only given the shallow 105 spools. Seems plausible.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:54 pm

They are the same reel as the TD-V 103, the black and gold ones that Walmart used to sell ~15 yrs ago. The spools are not compatible with TDZ spools. The shafts are longer.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:56 pm

FWIW, they are really solid, dependable reels.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:08 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:54 pm
They are the same reel as the TD-V 103, the black and gold ones that Walmart used to sell ~15 yrs ago. The spools are not compatible with TDZ spools. The shafts are longer.

I used to have one of those. I didnt remember what it was other than it was a black and gold Team Daiwa that came on a Daiwa rod with gold guides. These are a black Procaster which is the same platform as these TD-S but the TD-S get different side plates and nose plate. I bet they date to the same time though.

One of the TD-S I have coming has a TDX spool in it so they must be conpatable with the TDX which I believe is compatable with the 103 spools after a bearing swap and playing with some shim removal.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:43 am

The TD-V was a Wal-Mart exclusive in the early 2000s. The "best" of the TD-S and TD-X reels were the Air Metal JDM versions outside of the USDM HSD and HSDF. The Air Metal versions (though I don't think the TD-S in it) came in 103P, 103H, and 105H (there is one on the auction site right now). They are nice reels and outside of a few bearings (which can be added), star wheel (which also can be added), they are a TD-Z in a more goldish color.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:35 am

Looks like it is some variant of the procaster. There are the procasters, the black walmart procaster TD-V and this TD-S with new side plates and face plate to have a more TD-Z or TD Zillion appearance.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:56 pm

Got the reel in and tore it down. What a strange reel. It's like it's an old early 2000s Daiwa but trying to be a TD Zillion at the same time but 34 mm.

Aluminum frame, handle side plate and set plate. It has a small plastic top plate too for whatever reason. Takes 34mm spools in that my SS SV103 spool dropped right in and was centered. Backed off the tension and got it to side side to side even. Acts just like it is in the SS SV103. Magnets seem strong too. This actually might play better with more spools than the weak magnet SS SV and old Steez. It also has a multi stack drag with keyed washers too and is butter smooth in drag and gearing. With an SV spool in it is like a really cheap and old SV103.

It palms like a cross between a Z200 and TD Zilllion. Like a more slender and pointy Z200 or a tall and long TD Zillion.
Its tall and long like the Z but not as square up front and more contoured and rounded off like a TD Zillion or TD-Z. Its roughly the same width and length as the old Tatula/new 150/200 but sits up higher on its reel seat like a Z200.

I added a carbon handle and it came with a TD-Z drag star already on it. Spool tension knob is compatable with the old Tatulas, Pixy and Alphas. No room to run a wide style knob though.

Still no idea when these were made or even what market they were aimed at. No one seems to have heard of them over here and the only ones for sales are old Japanese sites. Maybe they were JDM only. Can't wait to get the left flipping frame on in.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:09 pm

One more showing the length and height.
And one with some red parts. Can't help but feel like this is an early iteration of the design language that lead to the TD Zillion.

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:09 pm

LowRange wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:14 pm
I'd say they date to the time of the Procaster-Z given the similarities. They might even use the same frame. I'm guessing these came about right around the same time as the TD-Z as an updated last hurrah for the TD-S name as a Procaster with a TD-Z inspired shape? These might have been JDM only given the shallow 105 spools. Seems plausible.

You are correct. They were a little better than the Z model not by much though. Didn't last but a year or two from what I remember. I think they were in Walmart
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:28 pm

jwfflipper14 wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:09 pm
LowRange wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:14 pm

You are correct. They were a little better than the Z model not by much though. Didn't last but a year or two from what I remember. I think they were in Walmart
That's the TD-V. Basically a black Procaster of the same vintage. These TD-S all seem to be JDM from what I can tell. The few that are for sale all come from Japan except the two I got. The one description I can find is "TD-S reborn in the neo compact gripping tower" same place also describes the TD-Z and Air Metal TD-X as having the same "neo compact gripping tower" shape. They certainly have a TD-Z shape but bigger and longer. It's like an older platform was TD-Zified.