Daiwa Luvias Airity vs 21 Shimano Excense

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Daiwa Luvias Airity vs 21 Shimano Excense

Post by jprice92 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:57 am

Looking to get my first high end spinning reel, does anyone has experience with both or either of these reels? I’ve used shimano stradics for years but interested in the higher end stuff. It’ll be used for mostly soft plastics and small cranks.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa Luvias Airity vs 21 Shimano Excense

Post by Firstoutfisher » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:39 am

If you are trying to decide between these two reels I recommend checking out i_fish on youtube. In my opinion he does the best spinning reel reviews of anyone out there.

He has a video on the 21 excense and the luvias airity.

The '21 excense is a vanquish with a new paint jobs,sealed bearings,more felt washers in the drag stack and a metal handle.

The luvias airity is an exist LT with new paint job and a spool support bushing instead of the bearing in the exist.

Can't go wrong with either reel but personally I think the luvias airity is a better bang for the buck and the paint job looks way better than the excense.

jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jprice92 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:04 am

Thanks! What size luvias airity would you get? I’ll be using it for soft plastics and small cranks. There are so many different models.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:48 am

jprice92 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:04 am
Thanks! What size luvias airity would you get? I’ll be using it for soft plastics and small cranks. There are so many different models.
what kind of rod will it be paired up with and what weight baits will you be throwing?

jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jprice92 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:21 am

Pairing it up with a mega bass windbuster, throwing less than 1/2 ounces with cranks, drop shots, and senkos.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:38 am

jprice92 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:21 am
Pairing it up with a mega bass windbuster, throwing less than 1/2 ounces with cranks, drop shots, and senkos.
I’d think the LT 3000XH would be great for that application. I only went up to the LT 4000 for light salt application. I have an exist in the 3000 and the airity in the 4000 and the airity is just as refined minus a bearing and the anti-reverse switch. It’s a good value reel and as high end as it gets for the money IMO.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:46 pm

I agree that the new Exsence was underwhelming...the paint looks very cheap and it didn't feel nearly as refined as the Certate/airity/exist LTs I have. Drag is also weirdly sticky on startup, even at extremely light drag settings, unlike the aforementioned Daiwas which are smooth as can be.
jprice92 wrote:
I would look at the LT3000S-C or LT3000 for that slower IPT if you're going to throw cranks and finesse swimbaits/spybaits a lot. Makes those techniques much more natural to do all day.

jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jprice92 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:26 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:38 am
jprice92 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:21 am
I’d think the LT 3000XH would be great for that application. I only went up to the LT 4000 for light salt application. I have an exist in the 3000 and the airity in the 4000 and the airity is just as refined minus a bearing and the anti-reverse switch. It’s a good value reel and as high end as it gets for the money IMO.

So is the reel considered salt water safe? That would be nice to have it pull double duty light saltwater stuff.

jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jprice92 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:29 pm

reason162 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:46 pm
I agree that the new Exsence was underwhelming...the paint looks very cheap and it didn't feel nearly as refined as the Certate/airity/exist LTs I have. Drag is also weirdly sticky on startup, even at extremely light drag settings, unlike the aforementioned Daiwas which are smooth as can be.
jprice92 wrote:
Yeah I agree I really wanted to like the new excense but the paint job doesn’t do it for me. Do you think the airity is worth the step up over the certate? Being the airity is jdm only kinda worries me what I’d do if something did go wrong with the reel, although I’ve never had it happen before.

I would look at the LT3000S-C or LT3000 for that slower IPT if you're going to throw cranks and finesse swimbaits/spybaits a lot. Makes those techniques much more natural to do all day.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:37 pm

Go here and translate it with your browser if you want to see specs and descriptions of the different models

https://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/item/s ... ineup.html

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:57 pm

jprice92 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:26 pm
So is the reel considered salt water safe? That would be nice to have it pull double duty light saltwater stuff.
Saltwater is tricky. You''re talking about an expensive reel that uses magseal...so you can't do much self maintenance, and since you're buying JDM there's no warranty to speak of.

In my experience with magseal vs Shimano's x-protect (or w/e they call that mechanical labyrinth system they use) - Shimano plays a little better in the salt, esp in the surf where you might get a splash or two of sandy water or god forbid, a quick submersion in said water. I think the magseal - using magnets after all to create the barrier - can actually attract sand and other particles. I have a Certate LT that went grindy after a season in light surf and a twin power that stayed as new.

Freshwater only - I will choose Daiwa Certate/Airity/Exist every time. Saltwater...in that 3-4k freshwater size? I'd probably get a USDM Stradic or Vanford and call it a day.

OR - go the other way and get a Stella/Exist with that lifetime warranty, send it in every year etc.

jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jprice92 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:29 pm

reason162 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:57 pm
jprice92 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:26 pm
Saltwater is tricky. You''re talking about an expensive reel that uses magseal...so you can't do much self maintenance, and since you're buying JDM there's no warranty to speak of.

In my experience with magseal vs Shimano's x-protect (or w/e they call that mechanical labyrinth system they use) - Shimano plays a little better in the salt, esp in the surf where you might get a splash or two of sandy water or god forbid, a quick submersion in said water. I think the magseal - using magnets after all to create the barrier - can actually attract sand and other particles. I have a Certate LT that went grindy after a season in light surf and a twin power that stayed as new.

Freshwater only - I will choose Daiwa Certate/Airity/Exist every time. Saltwater...in that 3-4k freshwater size? I'd probably get a USDM Stradic or Vanford and call it a day.

OR - go the other way and get a Stella/Exist with that lifetime warranty, send it in every year etc.
I had no idea The Stella and exist had lifetime warranties….I have a Stradic fl 3000 now for salt but those warranties do make the Stella and exist more appealing now.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:41 pm

jprice92 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:29 pm
I had no idea The Stella and exist had lifetime warranties….I have a Stradic fl 3000 now for salt but those warranties do make the Stella and exist more appealing now.
Both of these platforms are probably due for a refresh. If you're going to plonk down the cash for one of them might as well wait for the latest/greatest model :)

jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jprice92 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:42 pm

Very true

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:44 pm

reason162 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:41 pm
jprice92 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:29 pm
Both of these platforms are probably due for a refresh. If you're going to plonk down the cash for one of them might as well wait for the latest/greatest model :)
I think that is one of the reasons we have the luvias airity and new excense rolling out for decent price right now. They're basically rebranded old exist/stella then they will release their new iteration of the exist stella.