Daiwa TD Advantage uses?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Daiwa TD Advantage uses?

Post by LowRange » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:58 pm

I have always wanted one of these for the fishing collection and when it came time to get one I told myself it was going to be an Alphas 150 or Black Widow II. Well I saw what looks like an excellent condition Black Widow II for Tatula money so I got it. I'm in the collect old Daiwas and big bait phase of my enthusiasm so this reel just sorta made sense. What are the uses for these? They seem like massive, bigger than Z2020, low profiles. Just add it to the big bait reel collection and wait until the right rod materializes?

For those really confused what a TD Advantage or Black Widow II is let alone a huge Alphas: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwablackwidow2.html

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Daiwa TD Advantage uses?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:27 am

I had 7 of these back when they were popular. I had two 153HST, one 153HSTA, one 153H7, one BWII, one 150H and one 150P. They are absolute tanks and were actually very nice reels for the time frame. The 150 size has a deep spool that holds 190 yds of 12# line. The 150P was my deep cranking/swimbait reel. I had an extra spool for that one that had 20# Big Game that went in when I tossed swimbaits and it worked great. The only downside was the weight at almost 9 oz. Thats a lot for a general purpose bass reel, but lightweight for swimbaits. Of course, being heavy and so well built is why they are so tough and dependable.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:30 am

There was also the TD Tierra 153 and the Alphas 150 built on the same platform.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:06 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:27 am
I had 7 of these back when they were popular. I had two 153HST, one 153HSTA, one 153H7, one BWII, one 150H and one 150P. They are absolute tanks and were actually very nice reels for the time frame. The 150 size has a deep spool that holds 190 yds of 12# line. The 150P was my deep cranking/swimbait reel. I had an extra spool for that one that had 20# Big Game that went in when I tossed swimbaits and it worked great. The only downside was the weight at almost 9 oz. Thats a lot for a general purpose bass reel, but lightweight for swimbaits. Of course, being heavy and so well built is why they are so tough and dependable.
What's the spools size on these? A really wide 36mm it are they a taller spool?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:16 am

Seems like a wide 36mm with no spool shaft, similar to the Zillion TWS. It's been a while since I've had one in my hands, so I cant say for sure.

Kimbro1014
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kimbro1014 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:18 pm

I’ve always dug the looks of the Black Widow. I’ve never seen one in person but always thought it would’ve been a cool reel to customize.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:52 pm

My 1st two Daiwa reels were the Advantage and the Aggrest the Advantage was an absolute tank, so smooth you'd think it didn't have any gears. If I recall correctly, it was a bit of an backlash machine.

bmadd
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bmadd » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:36 pm

I still use a 153HST. Makes a great small swimbait reel or deep cranking reel. At the time, I used them for most everything and they were great for spinner baits. But the heavy part was a downside.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:15 am

Got the BW2 in. What a neat reel. Its about the same size as my old Tatulas/Zillion HD. It's not nearly as big as I thought it was going to be. The spool is the same 36mm wide spool as the Tatula HD and Zillion HD but with different shaft lengths and partially exposed Magforce Z. It palms like a backwards old Tatula or Zillion HD which is actually better because its wide in the palm and narrow up front unlike the Tatulas which get that backwards. Put a Fuego CT drag star and goofy orange camo knobs on it. Just got to replace the red caps with black to make it match better. I want to do some sort or kayak big bait and light duty musky stick build on a rod for it. Might even use a bit of that goofy orange camo on the grips too.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:20 am

LowRange wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:15 am
Got the BW2 in. What a neat reel. Its about the same size as my old Tatulas/Zillion HD. It's not nearly as big as I thought it was going to be. The spool is the same 36mm wide spool as the Tatula HD and Zillion HD but with different shaft lengths and partially exposed Magforce Z. It palms like a backwards old Tatula or Zillion HD which is actually better because its wide in the palm and narrow up front unlike the Tatulas which get that backwards. Put a Fuego CT drag star and goofy orange camo knobs on it. Just got to replace the red caps with black to make it match better. I want to do some sort or kayak big bait and light duty musky stick build on a rod for it. Might even use a bit of that goofy orange camo on the grips too.

If you want to fish mono on it, the deep 150 spools from the same series drop right in.
Those hold 190 yds/12# mono, or about 85 yds/25# big game.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:54 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:20 am
LowRange wrote:

If you want to fish mono on it, the deep 150 spools from the same series drop right in.
Is the 150 spool actually deeper? I noticed that half of the range of motion of the MagZ is outside the spool thanks to an extended curved lip just to house the centrifugal weights but Diawa didnt take the arbor all the way down to the spool shaft like they could have. It is deeper than the deepest MagZ 36mm spool I have which the the Tatula 153 and TD Zillion but only by a tiny amount. Not looking for more capacity just kind of curious to why they did what they did.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:21 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:54 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
LowRange wrote:

Is the 150 spool actually deeper? I noticed that half of the range of motion of the MagZ is outside the spool thanks to an extended curved lip just to house the centrifugal weights but Diawa didnt take the arbor all the way down to the spool shaft like they could have. It is deeper than the deepest MagZ 36mm spool I have which the the Tatula 153 and TD Zillion but only by a tiny amount. Not looking for more capacity just kind of curious to why they did what they did.
The spool is a solid core, no wiffle. The mag z is entirely outside the spool. I had and sold a 150P back in early spring. I think it's still listed here in the TT Classifieds.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:07 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:21 pm
LowRange wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:54 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
LowRange wrote:

The spool is a solid core, no wiffle. The mag z is entirely outside the spool. I had and sold a 150P back in early spring. I think it's still listed here in the TT Classifieds.
Interesting. My BW2 is like this pic in that the MagZ sticks out but most of it still resides within the ID of the spool. All this design does is shift the the MagZ partially outwards with the circled area being an extension at the widest part of MagZ. This design just bumps the MagZ outwards slightly and allows for a deeper spool but for whatever reason then didnt take it to the extreme which this design allows for.

bmadd
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bmadd » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:09 am

I have been wanting to add a new drag star to my Advantage but couldn't determine what would work. Now I know! Good looking BW!