High end spinning reels...Am I doing it wrong?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
setsail26
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

High end spinning reels...Am I doing it wrong?

Post by setsail26 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:43 pm

I have a couple Vanquishes, an Exsence, and now have a Certate based on the amazing reviews. I've always been a shimano guy, but agree that the certate is smoother and has a better drag than the shimanos I have. However, on both the Certate and the Tatula I used to have there have been significant line management issues. I often get line wraps on the lower part of the spool or below the spool. I fish with 6 or 10 bound braid. Always close the bail by hand. Don't overall the spools. Can't remember ever having this issue with shimano spinners. Is it just me? Do the shimanos have better line lay? Trying hard to really like daiwa given what seem like equal or better reels at lower price points. Any tips for me? Thanks for any help.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: High end spinning reels...Am I doing it wrong?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:47 pm

I never fill a Daiwa as full as a Shimano. I've learned that Daiwas just dont take as well to over-filling as Shimano reels. It's due to the reverse-taper spools, I think. However, its always seemed to me that, if not overly full, they cast very well compared to similar-size and similar quality Shimano eggbeaters.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:19 pm

So this is part of my mantra for spinning reels (and casting reels come to think of it!). I truly prefer Shimano for warm water species (walleye, bass, etc), almost exclusively for their line management. I use light lines and more finesse / slack-line techniques for those warm water species. I also don’t need much line capacity. I’m generally running 4-15lb braid depending on species/presentation.

On the other hand, I vastly prefer Daiwa for cold water species (salmon & steelhead) with their line capacity for size/weight and their drags. Definitely more hefty techniques, longer casts, significantly longer running fish when they are big. That being said, I figure out prrreeetttyy quickly if I’ve overfilled a Daiwa spool with braid 🤬🥴 I’m generally running 20-40lb braid depending on species and presentation.

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:23 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:47 pm
I never fill a Daiwa as full as a Shimano. I've learned that Daiwas just dont take as well to over-filling as Shimano reels. It's due to the reverse-taper spools, I think. However, its always seemed to me that, if not overly full, they cast very well compared to similar-size and similar quality Shimano eggbeaters.
^ This.

I had the same issues when trying out Daiwa spinners for the first time. Take some line off and was perfect going forward. Line lay on the Daiwa reels I have (Certate and exist) is excellent, no difference in my opinion to Shimano.