ID this spool please (solved ZPI RC001)

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

ID this spool please (solved ZPI RC001)

Post by LowRange » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:45 am

I ordered two reels from tackleberry for the 1st time and was slapped with $91 in shipping leaving me to believe this 3rd party service I used uses shipping to bake in some some additional profit. Anyways they are both lefty flipping frame Daiwas but one of them has what might be a black ZPI spool but I'm not sure. The reels were a $70 TD-X 105HL and $40 TD-S 105H. Total cost was $210 after fees and shipping. What I thought looked like a great deal ends up not being such a great deal but maybe this spool can save me. If this is a ZPI techno formula in black, how desirable are they? What are they like braking profile wise? Would any collectors be interested in trading a shallow ZPI for this deep one or are they worth less than the shallow spools?

Last edited by LowRange on Mon May 30, 2022 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: ID this spool please

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:25 am

Looks like a ZPI RC001 in “winners black”. Yes I said black, even though it is more of a forest green with flakes. Price I would say $80-100 in excellent to mint. In average condition 60-80. With no box I would probably lean to the latter. They also should have the stock ZPI spool bearing.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:36 am

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:25 am
Looks like a ZPI RC001 in “winners black”. Yes I said black, even though it is more of a forest green with flakes. Price I would say $80-100 in excellent to mint. In average condition 60-80. With no box I would probably lean to the latter. They also should have the stock ZPI spool bearing.
What's the braking profile on these like in comparison to an SV or R+ spool?

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:45 am

It is a fixed inductor. I would say something in the middle. Far from wild yet no where near as tame as a SV103. Great spools still today in terms of looks and performance. That one holds a good bit of line so good for casting 3/8-3/4 oz baits on heavier line

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:06 am

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:45 am
It is a fixed inductor. I would say something in the middle. Far from wild yet no where near as tame as a SV103. Great spools still today in terms of looks and performance. That one holds a good bit of line so good for casting 3/8-3/4 oz baits on heavier line
Sounds kinda average. I'll probably sell it or see if someone with the RC 002 wants to trade so I can use the 002 for pitching. Thanks.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:38 pm

LowRange wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:06 am
Fishing4Fun wrote:
Sounds kinda average. I'll probably sell it or see if someone with the RC 002 wants to trade so I can use the 002 for pitching. Thanks.
Dont sell it before you give it a try. They are really impressive, tbh.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:54 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:38 pm
LowRange wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:06 am
Fishing4Fun wrote:
Dont sell it before you give it a try. They are really impressive, tbh.
I will take your advice.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:54 pm

Yep it was a silver inductor winners black ZPI spool. It has a pine green color to it. Dropped in the green Steez LTD Seems very controlled compared to my Amo or Ray's Long Cast fixed inductors. This one will actually work in an old Steez. Initial impressions are that it should make a fine skipping spool.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon May 30, 2022 3:26 pm

I have been fishing this spool along with a 1010 from an FX68 in the Steez LTD on a Levante Jerkbait special. The 1010 with 20# braid/leader and the ZPI with 8# Big Game mono. Here are my impressions of how the two compare.

Basically they are polar opposites. The 1010 is fast and long bombs very well in the old weak magnet Steez but still has good control for casting into the wind as long as the bait sails well against the wind. Its my favorite jerkbait spool because of the stupid distances it can achieve. I mean down to the last 1.5 level wind passes worth of line on it distance with a 3/4 oz 110 max LBO. When throwing poppers along the bank the spool requires a lot of thumb to not overshoot and end up on the bank even at max dial. Its not that it overruns its that it just casts too far even at maximum brake settings. I like to be able to dial in my reels into zombie mode when shooting at the bank.

This is were the ZPI spool shines. It can be set up to toss baits at the bank with pin point accuracy with lots of adjustment left on the dial and is very effortless when casting which lends itself well to one handed target casts. When set up to long bomb it does pretty good but nothing like the 1010.

Pretty typical linear vs nonlinear braking results. The linear is effortless, smooth casting and consistent but the non linear beats it out in raw distance. The ZPI might be a decent skipper in this platform but I haven't tried it much yet. I did earlier in the season and it didn't do so well but the was the 1st skip of the season and it takes an outing of doing it to get dialed back in again. I did a few skips and then put the jerkbait back on. Jury is still out.