2 zillions, 3 spool options. Help me pick

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
vncnt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

2 zillions, 3 spool options. Help me pick

Post by vncnt » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:27 pm

Gentlemen,

I’ve got a Zillion sv tws xxhl and new zillion boost xhl. Both have stock spools, but I’ve also got a TDZ type-r spool I can drop in. My dilemma is this: the older xxhl is paired with a gen 1 MB Orochi xx emtf and the newer xhl is on a gen 2 Orochi xx perfect pitch and I need help deciding what my spool configurations should be. On the Emtf, I throw senkos, ikas, and finesse jigs with fluoro . The PP will be one spool for pitching jigs on fluoro and one spool for braid and frogging. What should I do?

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: 2 zillions, 3 spool options. Help me pick

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:39 pm

The TDZ spool will only fit in the new Zillion SV TW1000.

The Type-R spool is extremely fast. Not sure how the magnets would make it perform in the TW1000. It can be a great pitching spool and distance caster with aerodynamic baits.

I'd go boost with flouro for versatility and Type-R for bombing a frog. If you like to skip a frog, you may be in trouble with the Type-R.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:36 pm

vncnt wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:27 pm
Gentlemen,

I’ve got a Zillion sv tws xxhl and new zillion boost xhl. Both have stock spools, but I’ve also got a TDZ type-r spool I can drop in. My dilemma is this: the older xxhl is paired with a gen 1 MB Orochi xx emtf and the newer xhl is on a gen 2 Orochi xx perfect pitch and I need help deciding what my spool configurations should be. On the Emtf, I throw senkos, ikas, and finesse jigs with fluoro . The PP will be one spool for pitching jigs on fluoro and one spool for braid and frogging. What should I do?
What I would do is get a Morethan PE 1000 spool and try not to smile when you cast it.. that is if i am correct and that spool fits your platform.. I know it fits in my steez / IS /SV103XS platforms and I love it so much that I finally found another
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:01 am

vncnt wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:27 pm
Gentlemen,

I too use the dual or even triple spool approach with the PP. HLC for #50 braid/frogs, stock spool with #40 braid for skipping and pitching and then a Ray's spool for 16# flouro and pitching.

I would use the Boost spool with braid and frogs and then the Type R+ as a pitching spool.

You may have to do a role reversal depending on how the R+ behaves. They can be too fast for pitching in some reels but behave themselves when cast. My R+ was that way in my TD-S 105HL. I could lob cast it fine but as soon as that inductor seated on a pitch the spool would overrun. While it might fare better with frogs, big frogs and capacity are going to be a concern. Just don't swing for the fences every cast and you'll be fine.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:31 am

here's the ones i have
Attachments
mazG.jpeg
mazG.jpeg (148.73 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

vncnt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vncnt » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:51 am

Thanks for the input. So many options with aftermarket spools. This is almost as much fun as fishing…