The end all beat all Shimano DC system

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: The end all beat all Shimano DC system

Post by goldrod » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:36 am

LowRange wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:48 am
goldrod wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:07 am
With the 7’2” poison Adrena and conquest DC I can out cast any other setup I have with spinnerbaits AND I have the same reel in the nondc version.

So my experience is vastly different from yours. I’m not sure how mines is set but with the flick of my wrist or sling of my arm I out distance myself routinely with other high performance setups
Is that the 100 or 200? The 100 line capacity looks a little low for long bomb casts. I've been able to empty my wild 1016 of 50# braid rather easily with a frog. I have 30# X9 on it now and can't spool it with a deep crank yet because the ones I have been using kinda suck at casting. The 3/4 and 1 oz dark sleepers can almost spool the wild 1016 of 30# X9 though they get the line down to what the stock 100 DC spool arbor appears to be.

This would really only be a concern if it ends up on my FX 711. If it ends up tossing spinnerbaits then there is more than enough capacity. The Conquest DC price is also more affordable than the new Antares DC. I'm in no hurry though and can wait out a used reel or a sale on the Antares though.

Shimano 20 Calcutta Conquest DC 100 HG Right
I personally have not had any issues with line capacity
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:43 pm

Back to the topic at hand I have heard over and over and over again over the years that the old Antares/Calais DC beats out all other newer DC reels on casting distance. Is this true? Without hard numbers to quantify casting distances or at least before and after a cast pics of spools you just to infer from "it casts really far" and hope your idea of normal isn't their idea of a long cast.

Topics like these and about a billion more have shown up over the years and the old Antares DC is supposed to be some distance monster.
http://tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=80998
viewtopic.php?t=71283
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=50428

Also this post. It's from 2014 but from Bantam1
Bantam1 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:39 am
I have fished both and traded my Exsence DC for a Metanium XG. While it is an awesome reel, I find the braking to be too aggressive. The newer DC tech is for easy casting, not distance casting. I like that it has X-Ship and uses the Curado D tooling. I just couldn't get it to do what I expected it to do in the distance department. The Calais/Antares DC wins in that category from my "unbiased" opinion.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:10 am

With the exchange rate lately I ended up getting a Antares DC from Digitaka for $521 to my door, not that I needed it or even love DC reels but I like wasting money on Shimano reels. I have had other DC reels in the past and currently own a Metanium and Conquest but I have to admit my Antares A and Metanium 20 outcast the DC reels in most reel world fishing situations but for some reason I just can stop buying DC reels.