The end all beat all Shimano DC system

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

The end all beat all Shimano DC system

Post by LowRange » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:12 pm

Shimano noob here. I have like 3 total and none are DC reels
For years I heard of the legendary casting abilities of the Antares DC and when newer DC reels were introduced I heard how they were "watered down", "over braked" or just "not the same" as the original legend.

Long story short: I want to add another Shimano to the arsenal and I want a DC reel too so why not make my next Shimano a DC reel? I also want to locate a reel for a future enthusiast chatterbait and spinnerbait rig. Why not combine all of this into a single combo and slap a DC Shimano onto a Valkaryie MH or something? This is my line of thinking.

So, what is the end all beat all DC Shimano for casting these baits including right into the wind? Are the old reels really better than the new ones?

Shadowcaster1969
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: The end all beat all Shimano DC system

Post by Shadowcaster1969 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:25 pm

It depends on which casting performance characteristics is most important to you.

If anti-backlash for casting into a head wind with low density lure is what you are looking for, then all DC reels with the correct DC setting will do the job for you. But the earlier models do constraint your casting distance precisely because of this anti baclash control, unless you are casting very high density lead or tungsten jigs.

If it is distance you are looking for then there is the 2021 Antares DC. The "X" mode on the 2021 Antares DC allow you to really cast your lure out there, but the trade off is that it will not let you get away with a sloppy casting stroke and will backlash on you... massively! But if "X" mode is not for you then the other 3 modes will keep you line tidy in most casting situations.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:52 am

The only dc reel i currently own is the 2015 met dc. Certainly not overbraked unless you're using the highest settings.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:56 am

I think you need to consider why you truly want a DC.

- For backlash prevention: it is lipstick on a pig and you will better off in the long run learning a standard braking system.
- Night fishing: an advantage when you can not see the bait land.
- Distance: if casting aerodynamic baits, perhaps X mode would out cast a standard reel. But with a spinnerbait or jerkbait, I'd take an SV spool all day any day.

My biggest gripe, I can't stand the sound all day long. I enjoy the sounds of nature and that damn whizzing noise is god awful. Had to ask my buddy to leave the DCs at home when in my boat.

One last thing I noticed with the DC reels, is they feel very heavy and unbalanced. My OG Zillions are about the same but feel so much lighter as the weight is distributed evenly and not concentrated on one side of the reel. (Now owns 3 Zillion TW SV after trying mine and the DCs were sold. He also has a boat so it wasn't forced haha)

A top end DCs is pricey and you should definitely test one out before you buy. Its just really hard to beat a standard Metanium or Zillion these days. You could have both of those or one Anteres DC.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:08 am

I come from a gas turbine background and I may be biased but I love the sound of my conquest dc reels.
I’ve got one on and expride and one on a poison glorious
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:45 am

Good points. I have always heard how amazing the casting distance was on the old Antares DC but without solid numbers then its could just be a case of one man's idea of amazing is another man's idea of normal. I was thinking of getting a dedicated spinnerbait and chatterbait rod and a DC reel. I would then battle it out between the LIN10 Black Jungle and DC reel to see who gets the chatterbait rod and who gets the deep crank all around X4 FX 711.

The LIN has a stock spool that brakes very strongly and can tame coily non braid with a spinnerbait on the end into strong wind but I never use this spool. Instead I have a freak of nature 1016 that requires high mag dial to tame but it will absolutely launch deep cranks with 30# braid but that reel lives on the 711. On a chatterbait stick the LIN would use the stock spool.

I kinda hate the idea of a DC reel on the 711 because I will also pitch with that rod and change the spool out to something shallower and lighter weight with flouro when I'm pitching docks just to have a 3rd or 4th pitching presentation on deck instead of this highly versatile rod sitting in a locker. This means that the DC reel makes more sense on a chuck and wind stick like a chatterbait rod.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:58 am

My suggestion would be to begin by reading the articles on several of the DC reels we've written up both in the "Reels" and "Enthusiast" tabs above.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:03 am

I use an Antares DC on an X7 Diablo Fast Move for spinnerbaits and chatterbaits, and I absolutely love it. I'm also looking to create a rig for chatterbaits, as I use them enough now to warrant it. I was thinking about pairing a new Conquest DC and the MH Valkyrie you spoke of. Hope this helps some.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:11 am

If you want the Antares DC 21 then get it... but you have to really want it to love it. It's blockier than other options, but it casts great and it a joy to fish. I run mine on a Conquest 843c w/ 30lb No-Fade braid as a do-it all combo on the boat deck. It is very versatile, the reel is capable of casting a wide range of lures and much lighter lures than previous generations.

If you want something that is going to be the most comfortable and still have great capabilities to be that one "go to overall setup" and you HAVE TO have a DC reel, get the Metanium DC. It's going to fit better with more reel seats which gives you more options on rod setups, and is more comfortable in hand for long periods of time. Antares DC does have slightly better fine tuning due to more brake settings, but the biggest difference I found was is when casting fluorocarbon. Metanium DC is picky about fluoro if you don't match the rod perfectly to the lure. This will make you run it on setting 3 or Auto and will reduce cast distance. I personally prefer braid to fluoro on all DC reels, if not straight braid for some applications.

If you want the best casting, smoothest reel that Shimano makes and want it to fit more rods and fit your hand better... then get the Antares A. Hands down the best LP baitcast reel Shimano has made to date. I wish I would have bought another one vs the Antares DC personally. The Antares A HG is noticeably smoother than the Antares DC HG, lighter, way better feeling in the hand, and casts a freakin mile.

P.S. Believe it or not, I actually backlash my DC Reels way more than my non-DC reels. If you want something that’s going to bomb lures, adjust quickly for wind, skip with quicker setting changes, have the power for cranking chatterbaits, etc… get a Daiwa Steez A. I love my DC reels, but quick adjustments through the day for lure changes or condition changes I found Daiwa reels are just better. I still own more Shimanos tho…

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:39 pm

RMCatchNrelease wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:56 am
I think you need to consider why you truly want a DC.

- For backlash prevention: it is lipstick on a pig and you will better off in the long run learning a standard braking system.
- Night fishing: an advantage when you can not see the bait land.
- Distance: if casting aerodynamic baits, perhaps X mode would out cast a standard reel. But with a spinnerbait or jerkbait, I'd take an SV spool all day any day.

My biggest gripe, I can't stand the sound all day long. I enjoy the sounds of nature and that damn whizzing noise is god awful. Had to ask my buddy to leave the DCs at home when in my boat.

One last thing I noticed with the DC reels, is they feel very heavy and unbalanced. My OG Zillions are about the same but feel so much lighter as the weight is distributed evenly and not concentrated on one side of the reel. (Now owns 3 Zillion TW SV after trying mine and the DCs were sold. He also has a boat so it wasn't forced haha)

A top end DCs is pricey and you should definitely test one out before you buy. Its just really hard to beat a standard Metanium or Zillion these days. You could have both of those or one Anteres DC.
Agree with all points 👍

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:59 am

I have to agree. Especially watching my buddy backlash the DC on a regular basis. He did run straight flouro so perhaps braid is the ticket.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:07 am

With the 7’2” poison Adrena and conquest DC I can out cast any other setup I have with spinnerbaits AND I have the same reel in the nondc version.

So my experience is vastly different from yours. I’m not sure how mines is set but with the flick of my wrist or sling of my arm I out distance myself routinely with other high performance setups
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:48 am

goldrod wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:07 am
With the 7’2” poison Adrena and conquest DC I can out cast any other setup I have with spinnerbaits AND I have the same reel in the nondc version.

So my experience is vastly different from yours. I’m not sure how mines is set but with the flick of my wrist or sling of my arm I out distance myself routinely with other high performance setups
Is that the 100 or 200? The 100 line capacity looks a little low for long bomb casts. I've been able to empty my wild 1016 of 50# braid rather easily with a frog. I have 30# X9 on it now and can't spool it with a deep crank yet because the ones I have been using kinda suck at casting. The 3/4 and 1 oz dark sleepers can almost spool the wild 1016 of 30# X9 though they get the line down to what the stock 100 DC spool arbor appears to be.

This would really only be a concern if it ends up on my FX 711. If it ends up tossing spinnerbaits then there is more than enough capacity. The Conquest DC price is also more affordable than the new Antares DC. I'm in no hurry though and can wait out a used reel or a sale on the Antares though.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:00 am

Ordered the MH Valkyrie \:D/ Now I just need a reel. I'd be pretty happy with the LIN10 Black Jungle with either the stock spool or T3 MX spool. Both have pretty strong braking profiles at the end of the cast to handle spinnerbaits and strong wind. Maybe use the wild 1016 with braid and chatterbaits.

If I go with the BJ then would need a reel to go on the FX 711 which is my deep crank and off shore dark sleeper and swim jig rod among other things. A used 16 Antares DC on X mode with a 30-40 # braid sounds like a nice pairing especially bombing deep cranks into the wind on braid. On the other hand If I leave the Black Jungle on the FX 711 then a Scorpion DC could go on the MH Valkaryie. I would see no need for an X mode then.

That X mode does tempt me with the FX 711. My deep crank casting performance has not met expectations due to the baits tumbling and spiraling in the wind. I live in the wind swept plains. You go outside and you encounter a minimum of 10 mph winds 90% of the time. That's just normal. Thar wild 1016 is a bomber with frogs and stuff but hasn't been as impressive with deep cranks. Maybe X mode is a step up. :-k

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:03 am

Also where can I get 16 Antares DC gears? In case I have to do a gear swap due to a buzzy use reel or one that it too fast or slow.