Shimano Core 101MG Issue?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
joeim8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Shimano Core 101MG Issue?

Post by joeim8 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:07 pm

Hi all,

I was hoping someone may have some insight on an issue I have every once in a while with one of my Shimano Core reels.

So every once in a while typically while fishing something such as a jerk bait the spool will just go into free spool. I have never had this issue happen with any of my other Cores and any other caster so just looking for general trouble shooting and where to start looking as well as maybe just parts to replace.

Like I said it maybe wile happen 2-4 times if using for like 2+ hours but obviously it sucks when it happens as it results in a backlash.

I can't even re create it when I want to it is so random. Drag is set good, button seems to work well so it's just weird and random and I'm not sure its really getting any worse with time maybe slightly more frequent so I'm not sure if something is past its wera point and needs changed maybe?

Thanks for any thoughts.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Shimano Core 101MG Issue?

Post by slipperybob » Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:38 pm

Probably not the same issue, but I was once goofing around with some of my older reels and gotten to a point where sometimes the spool does not fully engage. I mean it clicks when I turn the handle but began to notice that while jerking the rod that...wait the spool suddenly seem to not be engaged. Anyway turns out that the yoke was getting semi stuck and not fully engaged. I cleaned the reel out apply new grease and much less compared to factory grease level and didn't have problem with that anymore. However I really hadn't fish those reels either for years.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:11 pm

The only thing i could think of is a damaged or dirty anti reverse bearing. If its happening on a jerking motion, it would make sense, but i don't know about going full free spool, tho.

joeim8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by joeim8 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:03 am

Thanks for the replies fellas.

So weird I've probably owned over 40 Cores, Metaniums, Curados etc and this is a first, I guess I'll take apart and inspect.

Does anyone have a short list of parts it could be, I'll just order them all at once and replace them. Not worth the time and shipping fees to try to save a buck.

Any other thoughts guys?

Jayce
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jayce » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:26 pm

Check the pinion - yoke - springs - posts - AR bearing basically the parts that make the main gear to spool engagement.
Might be some wear and tear on the parts or over/lack of lubrication.