Aldebaran 51HG ('15) vs. Curado 71HG MGL

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Aldebaran 51HG ('15) vs. Curado 71HG MGL

Post by KlingerNOK » Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:29 pm

Besides weight, how do these reels compare to each other? Thinking about upgrading one of my Curado 71HG's that I use for jerkbaits and small swimbaits with 10lb fluoro. Basically just have an itch for a new reel and I've never had one of the magnesium reels from Shimano and I have seen some decent deals on used Aldebarans.
Thought about going in that direction instead of a Curado 71HG MGL.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Aldebaran 51HG ('15) vs. Curado 71HG MGL

Post by Drakestar » Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:10 pm

It’s kind of a night/day difference. I still have a couple pre-gen Curado 70s, one 70 MGL, one pre-MGL Aldebaran and an Aldebaran MGL. I used to run a Curado 70 on my jerkbait setup and it works well. Not sure I’d want to use the 70 MGL instead; it’s a great little reel, but feels too heavy to me. I switched to both Aldebaran models at one point of another, both do the job very well. IMO a well-maintained Aldebaran (meaning you clean, grease and oil it every few months) will do just as well casting-wise as the MGL.

The Aldebaran feels airier than the 70 and particularly the 70 MGL. Not just because of the weight, but rigidity. Don’t get me wrong, the Aldebaran doesn’t feel flimsy or fragile, it’s just… well, airy. It doesn’t buckle, there’s just not much there and it’s feels like the reel is less rigid. IMO at least. I don’t like cranking on it, but for jerkbaits it’s perfect.

If you’re getting a used Aldebaran (any reel really) be prepared to open, clean and regrease it. Also check the drag stack right away and replace the carbon washers if they’re worn down. I remember doing this on my original Aldebaran (which was a used Japanese import) - they’re just a few dollars on eBay and renewing them made all the difference.

LuS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LuS » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:18 am

I’ve had both; nothing against the curado 70 frame but the aldebaran frame’s palm-ability and light weight made it an instant favorite personally. May not be quite as tough but I tend to not be rough on reels anyway.

If I was going into rougher spots - sketchy bank fishing spots, rough water, etc - I might take the curado 70 but if I have to do that I’ll go to the SLX or it’s derivatives as it’s less of an investment to put thru the wringer and handles almost as well as the curado (just as palmable, if less smooth).
Luca :)

Nwlfish
Angler
Angler

Post by Nwlfish » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:56 pm

My aldebaran screeches a little bit when I hook into big reds. Also feels like the frame is warping a bit

Preston
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Preston » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:29 am

KlingerNOK wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:29 pm
Besides weight, how do these reels compare to each other? Thinking about upgrading one of my Curado 71HG's that I use for jerkbaits and small swimbaits with 10lb fluoro. Basically just have an itch for a new reel and I've never had one of the magnesium reels from Shimano and I have seen some decent deals on used Aldebarans.
Just some more context. I value the feel of my gear as much as the performance, maybe even more. If my gear doesn't feel right, it messes with my head and my fishing enjoyment. Feel is subjective, obviously. :D

I love the feel of my Curado mgl 70, scorpion bfs, scorpion mgl 150, conquest bfs, and even the slx xt. I've grown to dislike the feel of the Aldebaran. At first I liked it. The kind of hollow, light weight feel was neat, but I've honestly grown to dislike it, a lot. Like considering parting with my Aldebaran. There is something about the weight, feel, and sound of the Aldebaran that has me grabbing other reels every time I go out.

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:28 pm

PursuitFishing wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:29 am
KlingerNOK wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:29 pm
Just some more context. I value the feel of my gear as much as the performance, maybe even more. If my gear doesn't feel right, it messes with my head and my fishing enjoyment. Feel is subjective, obviously. :D

I love the feel of my Curado mgl 70, scorpion bfs, scorpion mgl 150, conquest bfs, and even the slx xt. I've grown to dislike the feel of the Aldebaran. At first I liked it. The kind of hollow, light weight feel was neat, but I've honestly grown to dislike it, a lot. Like considering parting with my Aldebaran. There is something about the weight, feel, and sound of the Aldebaran that has me grabbing other reels every time I go out.
100% the curado 70 mgl feels nicer to me than my hollow alde 30 mgl. I even put new gears in the alde and it still has sort of buzz. It's so light and empty feeling that it feels cheap to me. Its a casting and pitching machine tho.

peterJDM
Angler
Angler

Post by peterJDM » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:50 am

I think you will find the Aldebaran to be great with what you intend to use it for. Expride 6'6 Medium is my go-to for OneTen/Jr jerkbaits and it's magical with the Aldebaran. Super lightweight combo.