SV Boost in older 34mm platforms

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

SV Boost in older 34mm platforms

Post by LowRange » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:39 pm

Anyone stick the SV Boost spool into a 1st gen Steez, Megabass IS or TD-Z yet? I hear just moving the spool from the new Zillion to the Steez TW makes the spool a lot faster. I can imagine it's real fast in the old Steez but maybe not the strong magnet IS reels.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: SV Boost in older 34mm platforms

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:37 pm

Give it a try and let us know πŸ˜‰! I'm curious as well.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:58 am

I just got a Boost spool and stuck it in a Ringa SSS. I love how that reel handles but I have never found a spool, other than a 1012sv, that I like in it. It's only got 10 points of adjustment to the brake so it's harder to fine tune then most other reels. So far I am really like how the Boost spool works in it, but I only got in a little yard casting before the snow came. I will test more later this week and update.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:29 pm

Houndfish wrote: ↑
Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:58 am
I just got a Boost spool and stuck it in a Ringa SSS. I love how that reel handles but I have never found a spool, other than a 1012sv, that I like in it. It's only got 10 points of adjustment to the brake so it's harder to fine tune then most other reels. So far I am really like how the Boost spool works in it, but I only got in a little yard casting before the snow came. I will test more later this week and update.
Are the magnets on older round reels, such as the Ringa, on the weaker or stronger side?

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:09 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote: ↑
Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:29 pm
Are the magnets on older round reels, such as the Ringa, on the weaker or stronger side?
On the Ringa I would say weaker, but it's hard to say but most every spool I have tried only works well at a narrow range of brake adjustment. The 1012sv gives the best distance/control from like 3/8-3/4oz range and a SV103 spool w/ an Alphas SV inductor seems like the best in the 1-3oz range. But neither are really "great". It's a shame as I love love love how the reel feels in hand on most of the different rods I have tried. I try every new spool I get to see if I can find one that really shines.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:25 pm

Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:09 pm
On the Ringa I would say weaker, but it's hard to say but most every spool I have tried only works well at a narrow range of brake adjustment. The 1012sv gives the best distance/control from like 3/8-3/4oz range and a SV103 spool w/ an Alphas SV inductor seems like the best in the 1-3oz range. But neither are really "great". It's a shame as I love love love how the reel feels in hand on most of the different rods I have tried. I try every new spool I get to see if I can find one that really shines.
Have you tried anything with a fixed inductor? I've found that the 34mm KTF Neo plays well in most everything, even reels with weaker magnets. Super consistent and never feels out of control.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:10 pm

Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:25 pm
Have you tried anything with a fixed inductor? I've found that the 34mm KTF Neo plays well in most everything, even reels with weaker magnets. Super consistent and never feels out of control.
Hogsticker2, I apologize if I misread / misunderstood your post, but the KTF Neo is with moving inductor, isn't it?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:27 pm

Dalleinf wrote: ↑
Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:10 pm
Hogsticker2, I apologize if I misread / misunderstood your post, but the KTF Neo is with moving inductor, isn't it?
It is indeed. I was thinking of the newer Zpi spools. Brain fart. The Neo is still an excellent spool in everything I've tried it in. Seems very consistent throughout the braking range.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:30 pm

Share your love for both the zpi nrc’s and the 34mm KTFs.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:52 am

No, but only because my ZPI PG will not fit in the Ringa. It's an issue I had with the stock sv103 spools, the inductor was so tall that I would rub as the spool revolved.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:02 pm

Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:52 am

No, but only because my ZPI PG will not fit in the Ringa. It's an issue I had with the stock sv103 spools, the inductor was so tall that I would rub as the spool revolved.
I've solved this problem with certain reels by adding another shim washer under the friction pad that sits under the palm plate bearing. It was a game of fine tuning and sanding another of the shim washers to move the spool away from the magnet side without causing any rubbing or sticking on the gear plate side.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:27 pm

Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:52 am

I had the same issue with my SV103. I didn't like the stock spool, so I sold the reel. Good to know about the Ringa.