Zillion TW G Questions

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
filthyPhil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Zillion TW G Questions

Post by filthyPhil » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:59 pm

My brother wants one and I'm thinking about getting him one for his birthday. My main concern is are there any click/tick problems, and are the stock spool bearings any good? I bought two different Steez models last year and both had the unsolvable click/tick and the stock bearings severely limited casting distance. He's not a big Daiwa fan as it is and I know if it has any issues out of the box it will become an expensive paperweight for his desk. He prefers JDM models, is the gearing the only difference between the two?

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Zillion TW G Questions

Post by SSS » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:01 am

Used mine for the whole season, no tick. Curious if somebody did get it, tho. Have not heard anyone complain about it on a Zillion as of yet.

I don't believe the bearing had anything to do with the casting distance (unless you put some high viscocity oil in them). Bearings inside the steez are as good as they come inside a fishing reel. The ones in the Zillion are a bit worse, but they're still excellent bearings not worth replacing. Casting distance not being that high is because of the SV spools. You won't be able to cast as far as with many other aftermarket spools. The SV boost spools inside the Zillion do cast a bit further, but i personally sold mine. Handle color and gear material/weight are the only difference as far as i am aware.

filthyPhil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by filthyPhil » Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:05 am

SSS wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:01 am
Used mine for the whole season, no tick. Curious if somebody did get it, tho. Have not heard anyone complain about it on a Zillion as of yet.

I don't believe the bearing had anything to do with the casting distance (unless you put some high viscocity oil in them). Bearings inside the steez are as good as they come inside a fishing reel. The ones in the Zillion are a bit worse, but they're still excellent bearings not worth replacing. Casting distance not being that high is because of the SV spools. You won't be able to cast as far as with many other aftermarket spools. The SV boost spools inside the Zillion do cast a bit further, but i personally sold mine. Handle color and gear material/weight are the only difference as far as i am aware.
Thanks for the input. I replaced the stock spool bearings and the pinion bearing with cheap abec 5 bearings and the reel casted great. Never could resolve the click/tick.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:36 am

filthyPhil wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:05 am
SSS wrote:

Thanks for the input. I replaced the stock spool bearings and the pinion bearing with cheap abec 5 bearings and the reel casted great. Never could resolve the click/tick.

What the above said regarding no ticks and good bearings. For me, the initial excitement of the boost spool wore off. Yes, it has faster start up and you can clearly perceive the duel breaking at the beginning and end of the cast. As for pitching with certain baits, you can get really good with using the spool to an advantage. But for all around casting, I get better distance with less fuss with a standard SV spool without boosters.

filthyPhil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by filthyPhil » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:39 am

Polkfish1 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:36 am
filthyPhil wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:05 am
SSS wrote:

What the above said regarding no ticks and good bearings. For me, the initial excitement of the boost spool wore off. Yes, it has faster start up and you can clearly perceive the duel breaking at the beginning and end of the cast. As for pitching with certain baits, you can get really good with using the spool to an advantage. But for all around casting, I get better distance with less fuss with a standard SV spool without boosters.
Thanks for the input. My brother fishes from a boat so he is more accuracy vs distance.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:46 am

Did not know you had a Zillion go bad on you Phil, sorry to hear that. I have fished a 7.1 JDM model for a while now, it feels great. If I ever do have gear issues, I will probably replace them with the brass USDM version.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:49 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:46 am
Did not know you had a Zillion go bad on you Phil, sorry to hear that. I have fished a 7.1 JDM model for a while now, it feels great. If I ever do have gear issues, I will probably replace them with the brass USDM version.
I think Phil was referring to his Steez SV TW.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

filthyPhil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by filthyPhil » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:16 am

About to pull the trigger on a JDM for $280.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:12 pm

filthyPhil wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:16 am
About to pull the trigger on a JDM for $280.
Do it, mine has been nice. I really wanted to try the new Alphas or a Metanium, but after trying the new Zillion it will be hard to just not buy a second...