Project T 22: 2 new Tatulas

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Project T 22 #6: another Tatula

Post by Firstoutfisher » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:31 pm

Interesting, I have been looking forward to something like this! Hopefully the size of the reel will be comparable to something like the lews SLP frame. Been looking for a comfortable palming reel for my topwater rod.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:29 pm

LowRange wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:12 pm
joekaz wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:03 pm
LowRange wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:59 pm
joekaz wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:54 pm
I hope your right LowRange, but the latest Tatula 100 has the dial access on the top but it still doesn't work for me. In my case the problem is also the ridge that sticks out that is below the mag dial with all of the Tatula's and this new one looks like it has a ridge to.
Yep it has that. I do prefer the old dials with the rounded edge that wasn't made from buzz saws like the new dial style. Also I am imagining things on the palming plate. It looks the same as the Alphas TW except for the mag dial.
I don't like the new dials either but the ridge I am talking about is the ridge on the side plate.
That's classic Daiwa. It keeps you from scrolling the dial from the bottom when you wrap a finger around the face plate or place it on the blank when palming. Only the cutout on top of the dial allows access to scroll in the older Daiwas. You have to take your thumb off the top of the frame and then place it over top of the dial to scroll settings. The newest reel actually have the dial in this location for whatever reason.
The OG Zillion does not have the ridge. That is why I still have a few.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:50 pm

LowRange wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:58 pm
https://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/item/r ... index.html

Hyper gears, hyper frame and hyper side plates, 6.3 oz. My best attempt an an Alphas size comparison. Appears to be the same platform. No mention of super duper free so I'm guessing it a full length shaft spool. Sorta like how the Zillion TW SV came out before the Tatula CT maybe? Sort of a dumbed down Alphas but I actually like the looks of it better with an old fashioned (proper) mag dial arrangement, palm filling palming plate for palming with 3 fingers in front of the trigger like god intended and black paint. Also Magforce Z. SV is for skipping only [-(

Agreed, its the same frame as the Alphas SV TW. It actually resembles the Steez CT a little more, due to the extended front end. Might even be the same nose piece?
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

zpelletier
Angler
Angler

Post by zpelletier » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:13 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:12 pm
Keep the Current Fuego CT but drop the price. It's not a $109 reel. It's just not. It should mrsp for $75.
While I don’t disagree, I’m just curious what’s out there that you do think is worth $109, or even $99, that currently retails for that price?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:36 pm

zpelletier wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:13 pm
LowRange wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:12 pm
Keep the Current Fuego CT but drop the price. It's not a $109 reel. It's just not. It should mrsp for $75.
While I don’t disagree, I’m just curious what’s out there that you do think is worth $109, or even $99, that currently retails for that price?
SLX. Fuego CTs are big and nasty feeling compared to the SLX.

zpelletier
Angler
Angler

Post by zpelletier » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:14 am

LowRange wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:36 pm

Okay, I was just curious. I have an SLX and it feels very smooth for $99, I just hate the big blue “slx” on the side. They should make all the slx like the new slx dc xt. But I’ve never seen a fuego in person, they seem so popular I couldn’t imagine they’re that bad. I agree that Daiwa should restructure their pricing and lineup, I think it would make them much more competitive if they did. This new reel seems like it would be a good competitor for Shimano if the price is right.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:18 am

zpelletier wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:14 am
LowRange wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:36 pm

Okay, I was just curious. I have an SLX and it feels very smooth for $99, I just hate the big blue “slx” on the side. They should make all the slx like the new slx dc xt. But I’ve never seen a fuego in person, they seem so popular I couldn’t imagine they’re that bad. I agree that Daiwa should restructure their pricing and lineup, I think it would make them much more competitive if they did. This new reel seems like it would be a good competitor for Shimano if the price is right.
They are good workhorse reels with a large aftermarket and compatable parts. Individually they are often scratchy, have ticks on the retrieve or are buzzy. Not always but the quality control let's a lot get through with the Fuego CTs. I'm convinced they are assembled with reject parts from the Tatula CT line.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:21 pm

The latest issue of B.A.S.S. Times has an ad for the new Tatula SV70. It looks like the 80 with a chrome clutch bar. The pic only shows the palm side.

Kimbro1014
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kimbro1014 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:03 pm

Joekaz, Can you post a pic of the ad?

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:31 pm

Kimbro1014 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:03 pm
I tried, but I couldn't get it to go with my lame phone.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:43 am

There is definitely a 70 SV version of this reel coming out. In the video Seth mentioned that the "the 80 is just like the 70 but no SV spool" "same aluminum frame and side plate, same handle..." I initially thought he was comparing it to the Steez 70 but the Steez isn't aluminum. The footage is likely cut from a longer video where Seth is speaking about both reels. I'll be getting one of the two for sure. Worried that the SV version will be too choked off and the Magforce Z version may not be skip friendly. Going to get a 100 to drop my Elite spool in for this spring and wait for the reports of on the water use here with the 80 and 70 SV.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:45 am

Laughed pretty good at the reject Tatula parts line... I have always wondered if they use molds or spool designs from previous reels, like the current JDM Alphas SVTW and find a way to add a longer shaft (remove free floating spool) and cheapen the aluminum. I know a ton of people don't like them but cookie cutter parts that interchange help production cost a ton.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:07 pm

I see Daiwa is now a supporting sponsor for the Bassmaster tournament trail. I am thinking the new Tatula 80 and SV 70 will be Bassmaster Classic releases coming up in early March.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:37 pm

joekaz wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:31 pm
Kimbro1014 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:03 pm
I tried, but I couldn't get it to go with my lame phone.
To post pics use this link.
https://imgbb.com/
Select image board for the link type. When it generates the link just copy and paste the link and it will automatically embed. The link will be a something like

[ img]filename[/img] without the space

zpelletier
Angler
Angler

Post by zpelletier » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:13 am

joekaz wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:07 pm
I see Daiwa is now a supporting sponsor for the Bassmaster tournament trail. I am thinking the new Tatula 80 and SV 70 will be Bassmaster Classic releases coming up in early March.
I hope so, I’d love to grab the 80 and I’d prefer to not wait for iCast