Project T 22: 2 new Tatulas

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Project T 22: 2 new Tatulas

Post by LowRange » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:50 am

*topic changed to reflect the content*
https://youtu.be/zJnAbyr3n0U

Looks like there is some sort of new Tatula coming out. Looks like it is going to have a glossy finish paint with a ghost spider under a white D vector logo and some sort of silvery thing going on with the handle side plate. Maybe. Silver lock nut or something. Hard to tell. Most likely an aesthetically updated Tatula 100.

Would be nice to see it get the Elite long cast spool. [-o< That's a great all around spool. Wish it existed for the short shaft reels. It's that good. Excellent distance and control. Bombs light weight and heavy baits alike and skips like an SV in my Fuego CT junker. Really like that spool but dont want to spend $250 to get it now TTT is out of the $45 spools.

Last edited by LowRange on Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Project T 22 #6: another Tatula

Post by LowRange » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:59 am

This shot is interesting. It shows what looks like a much more compact reel. Mag dial looks huge compared to the front side of the reel. Notice the dorky cutout to access the dial is gone. Looks like they may be returned to the old and proper way of scrolling the dial from the top like, idk, every reel prior to the Tatula. I wonder if this is a 32 mm spool reel to compete with the tiny Lews and Curado 150 MGL. Also sort of makes the classification of the 34mm Zillion HD make a little more sense if the new normal is 32 mm. A new new Tatula CT? A Tatula 700 CT? A Tatula Hyper 70?

Also not all footage is of the new Tatula. They mix some some current Tatula footage in I suspect. They did reuse the footage of Seth from the Zillion HD video. He does his weird palming cast and face in the vid
Last edited by LowRange on Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:55 am

I was hoping for a Tatula BFS (as lame as another Tatula sounds). Daiwa to compete with the Curado BFS and SLX BFS. Less than $200 solid performing BFS reel.

I do think Chinese BFS reels are gaining traction for that price market.

On topic, I think a 100 sized HLC would be nice on the new frame. Swimbaits are gaining popularity every year so, maybe another reel geared toward them will come too
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:09 am

ffs this is not funny anymore. But Daiwa did came out with two cool alphas variants and the new zillion, so i can't really blame them since last year.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:05 am

i posted on the other new reels thread about seeing the vid yesterday morning. i'm interested to see what this new reel is.

i know everybody loves to hate on the tats, but other than 1 steez ct all of my other reels are tat sv's. they've been real workhorses for me.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:21 am

That third picture could be a bigfoot sighting, hard to tell what is going on there. Concerning the others, I would love to see Daiwa take advantage of their Steez CT frame. Even if it were an aluminum/carbon(zaion) side plate version it would be nice for more to be able to afford those ergonomics...

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:51 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:21 am
That third picture could be a bigfoot sighting, hard to tell what is going on there. Concerning the others, I would love to see Daiwa take advantage of their Steez CT frame. Even if it were an aluminum/carbon(zaion) side plate version it would be nice for more to be able to afford those ergonomics...
The Alphas SV TW is virtually identical to the Steez CT in size and palmability. They also have compatible gear sets. It is also under 6 oz before adding line, so bot a huge difference, weight-wise.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:00 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:51 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
The Alphas SV TW is virtually identical to the Steez CT in size and palmability. They also have compatible gear sets. It is also under 6 oz before adding line, so bot a huge difference, weight-wise.
Nice, I didn't know this. I just made another thread questioning if I should still get an Alphas or try something weird like a round reel. Be hard pressed to not go ahead and order an Alphas after learning this, so much cheaper than the other options I asked about.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:49 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:51 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
I don’t own either but I played around with both side by side and the front of the Alphas felt wider to me, typical T-wing. The Steez CT on the other hand was more like an Aldebaran or non-t-wing reel fit when palming

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:14 pm

93EC56AD-6449-4FAD-90B5-13754BF912E8.jpeg
93EC56AD-6449-4FAD-90B5-13754BF912E8.jpeg (146.69 KiB) Viewed 6205 times
Pretty much identical to the steez ct

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:50 pm

Daiwa just keeps making new Tatula without discontinuing the old ones. We still have the original 2014 Tatula 100 and HD 150 as the 19 150/200. The original Tatula was "replaced" with the Tatula CT. The Tatula CT was replaced with the new 19 Tatula 100. The Tatula CT was updated in 2020 as a Tatula CT. Now I hear the 17 Tatula SV is still around? They just make new Tatulas and sell them along side the old models. Not fair. Why can't there be a bunch of Zillions.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:03 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:50 pm
Daiwa just keeps making new Tatula without discontinuing the old ones. We still have the original 2014 Tatula 100 and HD 150 as the 19 150/200. The original Tatula was "replaced" with the Tatula CT. The Tatula CT was replaced with the new 19 Tatula 100. The Tatula CT was updated in 2020 as a Tatula CT. Now I hear the 17 Tatula SV is still around? They just make new Tatulas and sell them along side the old models. Not fair. Why can't there be a bunch of Zillions.
This sums it up very well. Shimano has done similar with the Curado but NO WHERE near that extent. We still have the original Curado 70, in the form of the Curado BFS and the 70 MGL has some slight differences. The Curado 200 was different from previous generations though and those generations seem to disappear. Having the original Tatula's around would be like if Shimano rebadged the Curado I and still sold it to this day.
Now I am a Daiwa fan, and I think the original Tatulas were solid reels. I use my Type R original with 50lb braid on a Heavy rod and it still fishes smooth and great. This being said though, I would like to see them branch out. I wonder if they will use the T-wing forever now? Is that a key identifying factor of Daiwa from here on out???

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:12 pm

I personally think Diawa needs to move some reels down market and build a proper Curado competitor.

Make a new Tatula from scratch that trickles down the Boost braking and is Zillion in form factor. Make two pr 3 platforms even. A tiny 32mm, 34mm and 34/36mm wide spool variants. Maybe keep the original Tatula platform around for the wide spool versions as HD reel but fix the non handle side plate dial issues like they did with the Zillion HD and Catalina TW. These reels can also share gears and guts with updated Tatula CT

Make the current matte black Tatula 100 the new Fuego 100 at $100. Also make a Fuego SV using this platform.

Keep the Current Fuego CT but drop the price. It's not a $109 reel. It's just not. It should mrsp for $75.

If they want to keep the Tatula CT around then give it the Elite Long cast spool and thicker knobs and a recessed mag dial. I actually like the blue color and of the updated CT. It is easily the moat classy and high end looking Tatula. Keep this one around for the guys that find the new Tatulas too small. It will also help keep the costs down considering there would be multiple reels in production using this platform. The bottom barrel Fuego CT, Tatula HDs and this Tatula CT.

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:38 am

Episode 7 is up now. This episode introduces the Tatula 80. It appears to be similar in size to the Steez CT and Alphas TW, with a 32mm Magforce spool. The sideplate screws are on the inside of the frame like the CT and Alphas. Very early in the video Seth Feider mentions a "70" as well and the SV spool, perhaps alluding to another model geared more toward finesse with the 80 aimed more at conventional sized baits.

This reel will fill a hole in the Tatula series, particularly in Japan, where bait finesse fishing has been really hot for years. I for one am glad to see this reel as it will likely bring a lot of the feel of the Steez CT at a price point that is significantly less expensive. Plus I have always liked the air rotation provided by the long spool shaft on the other Tatula models as I find myself flicking the drag star with my finger while palming the reel with the rest of my hand, in effect fishing one handed with jigs. With a Tatula one flick will usually spin the handle enough to take up the slack, with reels without this feature it may take a couple of flicks.

Edit....Found another video on 2022 Online Show about the Tat 80 and one about new 2022 Exist. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i5rbr00ohLE
Last edited by daiwafan on Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:06 am

This will kind of fill a void like a cheaper Alphas would. I could see them bring the Alphas SV TW to America and call it a Zillion SV80. Nice to see they are utilizing the smaller frame size.

Yeah after watching the video he definitely gave away the fact that a "70" is probably coming. I am assuming that will be the SV version, much like the Millionaire and Alphas were, might even get a 30mm spool like them. I am sure it got lost in translation, because in English it is quite obvious the Tatula 80 is following another reel.