Project T 22: 2 new Tatulas

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Project T 22: 2 new Tatulas

Post by Chode » Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:45 pm

How's the casting distance on these? Do they feel choked off?

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:24 am

Chode wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:45 pm
I don’t think so. I finally tried a tatula and think the distance is fine. If anything, I find that the latest tatula requires a bit more care than the effortless free floating sv spools in zillions, etc, particularly against the wind. The tatula spool does not stop on a dime like the free floating spools, but it not faster overall. Took a minute to wake the thumb up casting into the wind.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:55 am

Polkfish1 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:24 am
Chode wrote:
I don’t think so. I finally tried a tatula and think the distance is fine. If anything, I find that the latest tatula requires a bit more care than the effortless free floating sv spools in zillions, etc, particularly against the wind. The tatula spool does not stop on a dime like the free floating spools, but it not faster overall. Took a minute to wake the thumb up casting into the wind.
Hmmm, gotcha. Sounds like it's more finicky in general. Picked up the tw80 last night on AliExpress during their singles day sale for $104 so figured the price justified it.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:38 pm

Chode wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:55 am
Polkfish1 wrote:
Chode wrote:
Hmmm, gotcha. Sounds like it's more finicky in general. Picked up the tw80 last night on AliExpress during their singles day sale for $104 so figured the price justified it.

Exactly. Distance wise, I can match a zillion cast for cast at similar break settings. But with fluro on a windy day, I’m more careful with the tat. Free floating sv spools spoiled me over the years.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:09 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:38 pm
Chode wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:55 am
Polkfish1 wrote:
Chode wrote:

Exactly. Distance wise, I can match a zillion cast for cast at similar break settings. But with fluro on a windy day, I’m more careful with the tat. Free floating sv spools spoiled me over the years.
Haha i hear ya on being spoiled with the zillion. Thx a lot for the review polk.