Project T 22: 2 new Tatulas

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
zpelletier
Angler
Angler

Re: Project T 22 #6: another Tatula

Post by zpelletier » Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:38 am

dennis_rf wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:20 am
Does anyone know where the 80 and 70 have their bearings located? It’s the same amount (7 + RB) as the Alphas so I’m wondering if they actually do have that double supported pinion. I personally wouldn’t mind the long shaft, double support is the deal breaker with Tatulas.
For the 70, Daiwa’s website says it has “Hyper Double Support”

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:23 pm

Headed back home from the Classic Expo.
Big shout out to Bronzefly who hooked me up with a Tatula 80. I’ll get the bearings changed out and fish it tomorrow a little bit.

rto
Angler
Angler

Post by rto » Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:08 pm

daiwafan wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:23 pm
Headed back home from the Classic Expo.
Big shout out to Bronzefly who hooked me up with a Tatula 80. I’ll get the bearings changed out and fish it tomorrow a little bit.
Any chance you'd post a picture of the schematic?

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:28 pm

zpelletier wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:30 pm
Anyone planning on getting the 70 or 80?

Just curious
It looks like the 80 is going to be available first, so I am going to try that one, but If I can feel the mag dial sticking out on my index finger, it is a no go for me.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:15 am

zpelletier wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:38 am

For the 70, Daiwa’s website says it has “Hyper Double Support”
My gut feeling says it’s rather a copy-paste-error than reality :D
rto wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:08 pm
Any chance you'd post a picture of the schematic?
Daiwa seems to not include schematics anymore, at least for the last 3 alphas + zillions I got from Japan.

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Project T 22: 2 new Tatulas

Post by daiwafan » Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:46 am

Schematic
Attachments
image.jpeg
Schematic
image.jpeg (89.78 KiB) Viewed 4175 times

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:47 am

Parts lists
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (100.44 KiB) Viewed 4175 times
Last edited by daiwafan on Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:51 am

Tatula 80 and Steez CT
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (98.85 KiB) Viewed 4173 times

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:06 am

Again
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (97.25 KiB) Viewed 4172 times

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:26 am

Wow so it is actually pretty small. This bearing argument has left me confused. I wish someone with the Alphas could clear it up for us. The new Zillion has nine, 2 spool, 2 mainshaft, 2 pinion, 1 anti reverse, and 2 in the handle. The Alphas has one less, it scares me into thinking they removed a mainshaft bearing. That or it has ZERO knob bearings and one on the levelwind (would be better), the old Alphas/SV105 had 2 mainshaft bearings.

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:07 am

Yeah it's small. I don't own one of the new Alphas TWS reels but I imagine it's pretty much the same size. The Tatula 70 is identical except for the smaller SV spool. I got to handle the 70 too but it will not be available for another month or so.
I was told that the 70 will not be available for the JDM, US only. I don't fully understand why unless they don't want to dilute the sale of more BFS specific models like the Alphas and Alphas Air.

The 80 I bought from Bronzefly is exceptionally smooth and is the 7.1 ratio. My buddy bought an 8.1 and I didn't reel it but will later today as we are going fishing later.

I am also gonna weigh the spool once I get to my shop, tear it apart and install air bearings in it before taking it out to try and catch a New River Smallie. I asked Marc Mills if he had weighed the spools of the 70 and 80 yet but he had not and we did not have access to a scale at the booth.

I think I will do the initial field test with it mounted on a Steez Utility player but it won't stay on that rod as I love it with a Steez reel on it.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:53 am

daiwafan wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:07 am
Yeah it's small. I don't own one of the new Alphas TWS reels but I imagine it's pretty much the same size. The Tatula 70 is identical except for the smaller SV spool. I got to handle the 70 too but it will not be available for another month or so.
I was told that the 70 will not be available for the JDM, US only. I don't fully understand why unless they don't want to dilute the sale of more BFS specific models like the Alphas and Alphas Air.

The 80 I bought from Bronzefly is exceptionally smooth and is the 7.1 ratio. My buddy bought an 8.1 and I didn't reel it but will later today as we are going fishing later.

I am also gonna weigh the spool once I get to my shop, tear it apart and install air bearings in it before taking it out to try and catch a New River Smallie. I asked Marc Mills if he had weighed the spools of the 70 and 80 yet but he had not and we did not have access to a scale at the booth.

I think I will do the initial field test with it mounted on a Steez Utility player but it won't stay on that rod as I love it with a Steez reel on it.
When you say that the 70 is identical except the smaller 30mm spool, do you mean it is identical to the Alphas TW? That would be a dream come true. A black Alphas TW with a round mag dial and 30mm spool compatible with the Steez CT. Probably not the case. I can't imagine Daiwa doing that and basically making a poor man's Steez CT.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:57 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:26 am
Wow so it is actually pretty small. This bearing argument has left me confused. I wish someone with the Alphas could clear it up for us. The new Zillion has nine, 2 spool, 2 mainshaft, 2 pinion, 1 anti reverse, and 2 in the handle. The Alphas has one less, it scares me into thinking they removed a mainshaft bearing. That or it has ZERO knob bearings and one on the levelwind (would be better), the old Alphas/SV105 had 2 mainshaft bearings.
The alphas knobs have all bushings from the factory. Main shaft has 2 bearings plus the RB.

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:51 am

LowRange wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:53 am
daiwafan wrote:

When you say that the 70 is identical except the smaller 30mm spool, do you mean it is identical to the Alphas TW? That would be a dream come true. A black Alphas TW with a round mag dial and 30mm spool compatible with the Steez CT. Probably not the case. I can't imagine Daiwa doing that and basically making a poor man's Steez CT.
Identical to the Tatula 80

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:05 am

daiwafan wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:51 am
LowRange wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:53 am
daiwafan wrote:

Identical to the Tatula 80
Ah, I figured as much. Thanks for clearing that up.