Project T 22: 2 new Tatulas

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Project T 22 #6: another Tatula

Post by LowRange » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:14 am

I wonder if the 32mm spools for the 20 Tatula SV drop in?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:24 am

Let's hope this one isn't a geary scratchy nightmare out of the box like my 17 Tatula SV, Coastal SV and Fuego CT. Only my old 14 Tatula Type R and Tatuala 153 was smooth out the box and has acceptable levels of smoothness today. Never buying another Tatula platform unless I can take it out of the box at the counter and test the smoothness. No more online Tatula buys for me.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:33 am

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:51 am

I hope I am wrong but the mag dial does not look recessed enough to me.

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:32 pm

Low range

The reel appears to be much narrower so a drop in from an SG is very unlikely

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:50 pm

LowRange wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:24 am
Let's hope this one isn't a geary scratchy nightmare out of the box like my 17 Tatula SV, Coastal SV and Fuego CT. Only my old 14 Tatula Type R and Tatuala 153 was smooth out the box and has acceptable levels of smoothness today. Never buying another Tatula platform unless I can take it out of the box at the counter and test the smoothness. No more online Tatula buys for me.
Thats weird. My 2 Tatula TTU 100 reels are the smoothest reels I've ever used under $200, and vith were purchased used. The '17 Tatulas I had were also smooth, though not as smooth as the 2 Tats I have now.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:29 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:50 pm
LowRange wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:24 am
Thats weird. My 2 Tatula TTU 100 reels are the smoothest reels I've ever used under $200, and vith were purchased used. The '17 Tatulas I had were also smooth, though not as smooth as the 2 Tats I have now.
I added bearings to the handles of my tats, but they are stock internally otherwise. My '17 sv tw's are reasonably smooth, but not buttery like my '19 tat 100's. Of course they don't feel glued together like my steez sv tw's, but impressive for the price. Those 100's can cast pretty dam far as well.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:42 pm

joekaz wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:51 am
I hope I am wrong but the mag dial does not look recessed enough to me.
Recessed about the same about at the 1st gen alphas Alphas, Zillion, Steez and the like. Never had a problem with mag dials until the original Tatula came out and then changed up the dial.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:54 pm

I hope your right LowRange, but the latest Tatula 100 has the dial access on the top but it still doesn't work for me. In my case the problem is also the ridge that sticks out that is below the mag dial with all of the Tatula's and this new one looks like it has a ridge to.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:58 pm

https://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/item/r ... index.html

Hyper gears, hyper frame and hyper side plates, 6.3 oz. My best attempt an an Alphas size comparison. Appears to be the same platform. No mention of super duper free so I'm guessing it a full length shaft spool. Sorta like how the Zillion TW SV came out before the Tatula CT maybe? Sort of a dumbed down Alphas but I actually like the looks of it better with an old fashioned (proper) mag dial arrangement, palm filling palming plate for palming with 3 fingers in front of the trigger like god intended and black paint. Also Magforce Z. SV is for skipping only [-(

Last edited by LowRange on Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:59 pm

joekaz wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:54 pm
I hope your right LowRange, but the latest Tatula 100 has the dial access on the top but it still doesn't work for me. In my case the problem is also the ridge that sticks out that is below the mag dial with all of the Tatula's and this new one looks like it has a ridge to.
Yep it has that. I do prefer the old dials with the rounded edge that wasn't made from buzz saws like the new dial style. Also I am imagining things on the palming plate. It looks the same as the Alphas TW except for the mag dial.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:03 pm

LowRange wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:59 pm
joekaz wrote:
Yep it has that. I do prefer the old dials with the rounded edge that wasn't made from buzz saws like the new dial style. Also I am imagining things on the palming plate. It looks the same as the Alphas TW except for the mag dial.
I don't like the new dials either but the ridge I am talking about is the ridge on the side plate.

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:12 pm

One thing I have noticed with all Tatulas is that They do not like being reeled without the spool installed. Without the spool to support the pinion it tends to flop around a lot and that can damage the gears. I have also noticed a lot of variability in the Elites and 2020 SV reels. Before eventually purchasing a long cast the first several I picked up felt a little rough. The one I bought was exceptional smooth and remains so. Same with the 3 2020 SVs I have. I don't like ordering them without actually feeling them either.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:12 pm

joekaz wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:03 pm
LowRange wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:59 pm
joekaz wrote:
I don't like the new dials either but the ridge I am talking about is the ridge on the side plate.
That's classic Daiwa. It keeps you from scrolling the dial from the bottom when you wrap a finger around the face plate or place it on the blank when palming. Only the cutout on top of the dial allows access to scroll in the older Daiwas. You have to take your thumb off the top of the frame and then place it over top of the dial to scroll settings. The newest reel actually have the dial in this location for whatever reason.

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:23 pm

I wish they would have gone with the Steez CT/Zillion route with the Mag dial but it's not a huge deal to me. I'm just happy I am gonna have a reel similar in size to the Steez CT with Air Rotation that doesn't cost 700 bucks to fumble around on rock piles along New River. I get nervy every time I use the CT worried I'm gonna put a scratch on it....knock on wood, I've never fallen hard enough to drop a reel but there is always a first time.