Reel Talk hosted by Goldie

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Reel Talk hosted by Goldie

Post by goldrod » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:18 pm

I have the 2022 Zillion HD ( Thanks again Mr. Kimbrough)
I have it mounted on my valkyrie 7'6" with 25lb floro and 3/4 tungsten weight to see how I would like it and the knobs were a bit funky and the reel had some grease that I wiped off but didnt go any further than that. The reel is the truth and its SILKY smooth and the power is great. After some time on the water I began to like the knobs and dont think I will replace them..
The reel reminds me of a shimano bantam but albeit a bit more refined. Casting 3/4 weights is one thing pitching them and having the soft entry into the water is another in my humble opinion.. The reel to me is a certified hit but the one thing i failed to to is see if the spool fit into any other of my reels and I did not. If you have the rod Im talking about you know its quite hefty but the reel balances it out
Its a refined light wight bantam

I saw Mr. Tim comment on MB rods and I true concur and I guess that why i've brought more of the old models than new
That being said i have the new Tomohawk rod and its a very peculiar rod to me.. I think its labeled as a square bill rod but I have used it for traps. I really wanted to have a TDZ on it but unfortunately the Conquest took its spot and the combo just is so comfortable and here's the strange thing.. the rod is like this, if you can feel your lure you dont have a bit but if you dont feel nothing ....Fish ON! I am throwing OSP blitz Max and Evergreen flat force on 16lb floro and you know that the conquest just spits it out with ease.. like EAZY.. Its just a superb combo. So what I am saying is the right reel takes that rod from mediocre to special in a sense..I am not sure how else to explain the bites.. Maybe i need more vicious strikes I've caught fish up to 4lbs on it and it just handles them.. Like Floyd Mayweather in the ring when he's showing off his elusiveness that rod bobs and weaves with the fish and its just not chance they are coming off.. NoW.. I sold my laminglas 705Sr rod to get this rod.. and its lighter , has a longer handle which is where I feel the 705 could have been better.

I now have three tws reels.. I have been a skeptic for a long time so I jumped in the game with a Steez A.
I have two steez A both are 7.1. One has the ZPI PG spool and the Other the Morethan 1000PE spool.. Ian tuned the ZPI one and installed some bearings Ive not heard of. They are both Great reels but i can tell the difference in the tuned one yet the none tuned one is not lacking compared to most other reels..
What I will say is they provide power and Precision so much so that I think I am better at casting then I really am. Maybe i was the last to take the leap but i you are like i was and wanting to start somewhere in the TWS family, the steez A has been a pleasure to use

Roboworm,,
I had their drop shot baits. probably 25 packs,, i had to get rid of them.. for me the only drop shot lure that is worth it is the beast coast Magic flick. I challenge anyone to try them and not like them over whatever your currently using.

I have a few projects I am working on but I won't post any prematurely without some time on the water.. I am working on my boat but i had a setback and such is life is all I can say to that..

Back on the reel side of things The Conquest DC and Non DC reels in the 100 size are just good at every thing. Its the only reel that has dethroned a TDZ variant of my and I think mine are pretty special. So that should give you some inclination to how good they are. Now there's probably someone saying " oh, but what about the Zillion HD reel"? IMHO it is a reel that is built with only a few things in mind, Punching flipping swimbaits ( the spool is rather deep, that was another reason I started with floro) , Big lures for big sticks and I dont think its an apple to apple comparison. Its freaking silk though.. Om gosh its just sweet silk like almond milk lol..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Reel Talk hosted by Goldie

Post by LowRange » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:23 pm

Nice. I have that rod and the old Zillion HD on it. Stock spool for big baits and a Catalina spool for punching. I want to get the new Zillion HD and put it on a 72H PA as an all around MH+ and jig stick. The two should look good together too. How's the casting distance on the new HD?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:33 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:23 pm
Nice. I have that rod and the old Zillion HD on it. Stock spool for big baits and a Catalina spool for punching. I want to get the new Zillion HD and put it on a 72H PA as an all around MH+ and jig stick. The two should look good together too. How's the casting distance on the new HD?
In my humble opinion it’s effortless
I only wiped away excess grease but I can kiss the entry with 3/4 weight and that says a lot out of the box to me.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Kimbro1014
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kimbro1014 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:57 am

I’ve got a couple of weeks on my Zillion HD and a few more weeks on my JDM Zillions. What I’m learning is it’s a new surprise every time I take them out. As I steadily learn to let the rod do the work, I’m bombing 3/16 weighted Texas rigs with a GYCB Stretch 40 (Zillion), 3/8 ounce jigs (Zillion HD), and Steez Rattle Traps (Zillion) almost equal distances. Last trip out I comfortably got down to the 5 setting on the brakes. Today I got down to the 2 setting. Depending on the lure the sweet spot is mostly setting 4 as any lower they’d quickly remind me if I tried to force the cast. I don’t know where the limit is but as I get better I love these reels more and more. After I add a couple or four more Zillions to the line up, it’s time to focus on high end rods. I currently have 4 21 Zillions (x1 6.3 and x3 8.5) and a 22 Zillion HD (8.1). I’d like to add a 5.5, 6.3, 7.1 and another 8.5 Zillion and call it good. My rod line up is primarily Powell currently. Later this spring I’m planning on a trip to Lake Biwa. During the trip to mainland I’m hoping to bring back a few JDM treasures. I’m glad you’re digging the reel Jorrick!
Last edited by Kimbro1014 on Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:23 am

Kimbro1014 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:57 am
My rod line up is primarily Powell currently. Later this spring I’m planning on a trip to Lake Biwa.
There can't be too many Powell rods on Biwa!

Kimbro1014
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kimbro1014 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:51 pm

reason162 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:23 am
Kimbro1014 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:57 am
My rod line up is primarily Powell currently. Later this spring I’m planning on a trip to Lake Biwa.
There can't be too many Powell rods on Biwa!

Definitely not. I’m curious what the rod scene on Mainland looks like. Here on Okinawa it’s mostly focused on salt water so it’s tough to find bass rods. In my feeble little brain I picture walking into stores and having them overflowing with Megabass, Evergreen, etc. I know that likely won’t be the case but I want to feel like a kid does walking into Toys R Us.

StymoDe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StymoDe » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:55 pm

Goldie, perhaps you should also start a Stick Talk by Goldie and I will be all ears, particularly the Shimano PG 1610M and the like :D

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:32 pm

StymoDe wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:55 pm
Goldie, perhaps you should also start a Stick Talk by Goldie and I will be all ears, particularly the Shimano PG 1610M and the like :D
I like how you think.
I just may as I’m about to build another and speak on some short comings of ones that after a while didn’t make it.

And I’m looking to get a few more JDM pieces so I just may do that