New Purchase: Something Different (Round Reels)

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

New Purchase: Something Different (Round Reels)

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:59 am

Depending on whether or not some finances change coming up, I considered getting another reel. My change jar and fishing fund have gotten pretty full. I have a ton of rods I am satisfied with, plenty of lures, and enough line, etc. I was originally planning on getting the new Alphas SV TW and running 10lb or 8lb fluorocarbon on it matched to a 7'M rod. I started to wonder though, should I finally try something different? I actually found a Conquest from Japan that would be cool, never tried a round reel. The model was the new 100HG, but I have no idea how light its spool is or how well it would fit in the aforementioned Alphas' place as a finesse reel... So after researching round reels a bit, I also found they still have a few Millionaire CT SV's for sale, and they are also below $400. I do not know much about the Millionaire though, is it any where near the Conquest's level? Or is it just high priced for nostalgia? The 1016H Ryoga is also around the right price range, and I think they got pretty good reviews? I could also use my Zillion SV TW spool in it and sell the stock one or use it elsewhere. I also still wondered about the Metanium 2020 and even considered still buying a Certate. Just kind of bored with the same old same, I know it might be most practical to get another Zillion SV1000 or get the Alphas, but I just would like to try something else while I still can.

So any thoughts on those three round reels (Conquest, Ryoga, or Millionaire) would be greatly appreciated...

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: New Purchase: Something Different (Round Reels)

Post by freelancer27 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:32 am

What lures do you want to throw with it (type and weight)?

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:51 am

That's a word salad of reel options, but if you haven't tried a Certate/Exist level spinning reel from Daiwa, that's the obvious choice imo.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:51 pm

I have a few of the reels you’re looking at. Those would include the alphas, millionaire ct, conquest hg, and metanium and it all depends on what you’re after. The millionaire ct is great as a finesse reel or all around and it’s super smooth.

The conquest isn’t quite as lightweight capable as the ct spool but is a masterpiece of engineering and can handle some lighter lures. It is the smoothest reel I own, even more fluid than the lighter high end daiwa reels like the new zillion or steez ct. Most likely due to to it being solid aluminum and absorbing any little vibration that may resonate in the lighter reels.

The alphas sv tw is a great bang for the buck as is the metanium and I feel they are very similar in performance (JDM version of the Met).

If you want a round reel and don’t need the absolute featherweight of reels they are excellent in performance and sometimes that extra weight is good on some longer rods.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:38 pm

Conquest HG
And don’t look any further
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:18 pm

goldrod wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:38 pm
Conquest HG
And don’t look any further
Man that 84mm handle kills me though... Other than that, I will probably just use it on a 7'Medium rod for general purpose.
reason162 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:51 am
That's a word salad of reel options, but if you haven't tried a Certate/Exist level spinning reel from Daiwa, that's the obvious choice imo.
Yeah I know that was a huge scramble of different unrelated reels, that is why I am lost. I have a few extra spinning rods, if I got a Certate it would get 10lb braid and just be used for general finesse like my other spinners.
freelancer27 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:32 am
What lures do you want to throw with it (type and weight)?
For lures, it depends on the reel. If I got the Millionaire for example, it would probably replace my Alphas on a ML casting rod with 7lb fluoro. If I got the Ryoga, Conquest, Alphas, Metanium, etc. I would just use it with 8-12lb fluoro on a Medium casting rod for 1/8-3/8 max lures, like small jigs, swimbaits, just lighter end general purpose.

No one said anything about the Ryoga, what is the deal with them???

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:26 pm

In all honesty

I’ve not modded any of my conquest handles
I thought it would bother me but I don’t even think about it. Maybe it’s the shape or knobs I don’t know and I’ve modded most all my reel handles to longer handles
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:29 pm

I would go wit a 2021 or the 2020 Conquest 100 HG.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:03 am

Have the 2014 Conquest 101Hg, Millionaire CT and the silver and black Ryoga 1016.

Ryoga is great and the multiple 34mm spools are sweet. Many options with that one. It has a line-out clicking drag, which I like.

In my old Conquest I run an Avail spool. Beautiful reel, very smooth, but sees little use. I have considered the new 101Hg but have held back due to price and need for aftermarket spool for my needs.

I am no huge fan of the Alphas/Steez/Millionaire CT… and would choose either Ryoga or Conquest.

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:30 pm

I only have the old 14 Conquest models but i wouldn't worry about the handle. You can always change it out.
I've changed all mine out to 95mm handles. Makes turning the handle more effortless.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:50 pm

mrpao wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:30 pm
I only have the old 14 Conquest models but i wouldn't worry about the handle. You can always change it out.
I've changed all mine out to 95mm handles. Makes turning the handle more effortless.
Just didn't know what the options were for aftermarket handles on the Conquest...
freelancer27 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:29 pm
I did not know there was a 2020 and 2021 version.. I assume the JDM websites carry the 2021??? I am looking for the 7.4 gear, it has around 30IPT and should work nice for bottom contact baits...

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:17 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:50 pm
mrpao wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:30 pm
Just didn't know what the options were for aftermarket handles on the Conquest...
freelancer27 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:29 pm
I did not know there was a 2020 and 2021 version.. I assume the JDM websites carry the 2021??? I am looking for the 7.4 gear, it has around 30IPT and should work nice for bottom contact baits...
2020 100HG model is the silver DC model which has the old 6.8 ratio, 2021 model is the MGL with 7.4 ratio. Even with the 84mm handle the 7.4 isn’t lacking in power. It actually cranks like a lower ratio reel.

Since the question will inevitably pop up, the new 7.4 ratio main gear is .050” larger in diameter than the 6.8s with pinion gears about the same size making about a .025” larger center to center so they are not compatible with the older conquests.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:56 pm

Forgot I had the 101 Conquest DC too.
That is a great reel IMO. Handles light baits to 5 grams with ease. Casts far. Super smooth.
I have seen a few for sale on TT and wondered why sell ? :-)

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:54 pm

I’ve been struggling to find a good rod for my Millionaire CT. It’s a surprisingly large reel (bulkier than the Conquest), but it has a small 80mm handle and shallow finessy spool. Add the weight (over 7oz) and it’s a bit of a problem because (to me) it looks and feels oversized on ML and M rods. The rod I’d like to pair it with is my Super Destroyer, but that rod is too heavy.

Just something to keep in mind if you’re thinking of buying a Millionaire without a specific rod in mind. It’s a killer reel, but it’s a tough one to combo.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:33 am

Drakestar wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:54 pm
I’ve been struggling to find a good rod for my Millionaire CT. It’s a surprisingly large reel (bulkier than the Conquest), but it has a small 80mm handle and shallow finessy spool. Add the weight (over 7oz) and it’s a bit of a problem because (to me) it looks and feels oversized on ML and M rods. The rod I’d like to pair it with is my Super Destroyer, but that rod is too heavy.

Just something to keep in mind if you’re thinking of buying a Millionaire without a specific rod in mind. It’s a killer reel, but it’s a tough one to combo.
See for some reason I assumed the Millionaire CT was just a tad smaller than the Conquest... Just never seen one in person. I assume the Ryoga is larger than both of those???