New Purchase: Something Different (Round Reels)

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: New Purchase: Something Different (Round Reels)

Post by tincanary » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:38 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:33 am
See for some reason I assumed the Millionaire CT was just a tad smaller than the Conquest... Just never seen one in person. I assume the Ryoga is larger than both of those???
I own both the Millionaire CT SV and the Calcutta BFS, both reels are of a similar size and weight for the most part. The Calcutta feels smaller due to the diameter of the palm side being less than the crank side, while the Millionaire is the same diameter on both sides and therefore not as palm friendly, but still comfy nonetheless. The Millionaire also weighs about 10g more but in real world usage that weight difference doesn't feel to be as much. For smoothness, I feel the Millionaire edges out the Calcutta, just a pleasure to turn the handle and the gears are markedly quieter even though they aren't micro gears. I really enjoy both reels, they are high quality pieces that are among the best round reels you can buy new today. Now the Ryoga, that's a fine reel itself, but it does weigh substantially more than the CQ and Millionaire CT. Sometimes the Japanese sites will have a fire sale on the Millionaire so keep your eyes peeled.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:33 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Drakestar wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:54 pm
I’ve been struggling to find a good rod for my Millionaire CT. It’s a surprisingly large reel (bulkier than the Conquest), but it has a small 80mm handle and shallow finessy spool. Add the weight (over 7oz) and it’s a bit of a problem because (to me) it looks and feels oversized on ML and M rods. The rod I’d like to pair it with is my Super Destroyer, but that rod is too heavy.

Just something to keep in mind if you’re thinking of buying a Millionaire without a specific rod in mind. It’s a killer reel, but it’s a tough one to combo.
See for some reason I assumed the Millionaire CT was just a tad smaller than the Conquest... Just never seen one in person. I assume the Ryoga is larger than both of those???
The 21 conquest is the smallest palming of the 3, it sits a couple mm's lower than the 14 conquest frame in which includes the bfs conquest. It's a very comfy "round" reel. The millionaire ct is a true round reel (IE: no protruding gear box) and feels the same as the other 103 size round reels like the Luna and other millionaires, it just has the tiny 30mm spool. The Ryoga is a beast of a reel but still palms small, I've only handled one, never fished it and it could probably be substituted as a blunt weapon should you find yourself in a zombie apocalypse.

All 3 are incredibly smooth reels and will put most reels to shame for buttery smooth retrieve. The 21 conquest is the smoothest reel I've ever used however, perfectly silent butter retrieve under load or free spinning. Everything is shimmed perfectly, zero play in knobs, handle and main shaft, an incredible piece of engineering.

I've had issues with MM gears in the past (2nd tier, not the 1st tier like in the conquest or antares) but I think i've got them figured out so I hope the longevity is there.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:39 pm

ss30378 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:33 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
Drakestar wrote:
I’ve been struggling to find a good rod for my Millionaire CT. It’s a surprisingly large reel (bulkier than the Conquest), but it has a small 80mm handle and shallow finessy spool. Add the weight (over 7oz) and it’s a bit of a problem because (to me) it looks and feels oversized on ML and M rods. The rod I’d like to pair it with is my Super Destroyer, but that rod is too heavy.

Just something to keep in mind if you’re thinking of buying a Millionaire without a specific rod in mind. It’s a killer reel, but it’s a tough one to combo.
The 21 conquest is the smallest palming of the 3, it sits a couple mm's lower than the 14 conquest frame in which includes the bfs conquest. It's a very comfy "round" reel. The millionaire ct is a true round reel (IE: no protruding gear box) and feels the same as the other 103 size round reels like the Luna and other millionaires, it just has the tiny 30mm spool. The Ryoga is a beast of a reel but still palms small, I've only handled one, never fished it and it could probably be substituted as a blunt weapon should you find yourself in a zombie apocalypse.

All 3 are incredibly smooth reels and will put most reels to shame for buttery smooth retrieve. The 21 conquest is the smoothest reel I've ever used however, perfectly silent butter retrieve under load or free spinning. Everything is shimmed perfectly, zero play in knobs, handle and main shaft, an incredible piece of engineering.

I've had issues with MM gears in the past (2nd tier, not the 1st tier like in the conquest or antares) but I think i've got them figured out so I hope the longevity is there.
I am a pretty relaxed person when I am critical of fishing gear, even my ole Chronarch MGL doesn't bother me too bad, and it does have a distinct buzz. I almost want to try the Calcutta or Ryoga just for the fact that I do not think a more smooth reel can exist than the Daiwa Zillion 1000. That reel is like nothing I have ever used (except for my Steez A, and Bryan at TT thinks he figured it out!) and I want to try something else that smooth. The Conquest is at my top right now, it has a more desirable IPT, and seems to be smaller, only negative is the sub 90mm handle at 84. The Alphas and Millionaire have 85 and 80mm respectively but they would get changed quick if I bought them, and due to Daiwa part compatibility, I could make it look stock. The issue with the Ryoga and Millionaire is the IPT also, they are both around 26" per turn. If the Ryoga had a higher ratio (like that limited SV red version) I would grab it. I just need to know more about the Millionaire, before I got into fishing equipment I thought they were an older cheaper Daiwa round reel, then a few years back an SV version appears and it is still almost $400?
I know I should probably just get an Alphas and call it done, but you only live once, why not try something unusual?

To anyone with the Calcutta Conquest 2021, just how shallow and small is that spool? The capacity is super low, I would LOVE to know the spool weight or how it compares finesse wise to something like a Metanium MGL... I know it isn't a finesse reel, I just like to get a better idea of a reel's lower limit when purchasing one, 90% of my fishing requires lighter lures than most throw and even my stronger reels are normally set up for lighter tactics.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:49 pm

Just a few photos of the 14 Conquest 101hg, 20 Conquest 101hg DC, Ryoga 1016 and Millionaire…
The Ryoga is not that much bigger.
Attachments
36F549F9-AC6F-4F75-B345-7D513858C700.jpeg
36F549F9-AC6F-4F75-B345-7D513858C700.jpeg (91.41 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
575E0914-5EED-4C8E-BCFF-75AFED0345F5.jpeg
575E0914-5EED-4C8E-BCFF-75AFED0345F5.jpeg (68.64 KiB) Viewed 2508 times

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:20 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:39 pm
ss30378 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:33 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
Drakestar wrote:

I am a pretty relaxed person when I am critical of fishing gear, even my ole Chronarch MGL doesn't bother me too bad, and it does have a distinct buzz. I almost want to try the Calcutta or Ryoga just for the fact that I do not think a more smooth reel can exist than the Daiwa Zillion 1000. That reel is like nothing I have ever used (except for my Steez A, and Bryan at TT thinks he figured it out!) and I want to try something else that smooth. The Conquest is at my top right now, it has a more desirable IPT, and seems to be smaller, only negative is the sub 90mm handle at 84. The Alphas and Millionaire have 85 and 80mm respectively but they would get changed quick if I bought them, and due to Daiwa part compatibility, I could make it look stock. The issue with the Ryoga and Millionaire is the IPT also, they are both around 26" per turn. If the Ryoga had a higher ratio (like that limited SV red version) I would grab it. I just need to know more about the Millionaire, before I got into fishing equipment I thought they were an older cheaper Daiwa round reel, then a few years back an SV version appears and it is still almost $400?
I know I should probably just get an Alphas and call it done, but you only live once, why not try something unusual?

To anyone with the Calcutta Conquest 2021, just how shallow and small is that spool? The capacity is super low, I would LOVE to know the spool weight or how it compares finesse wise to something like a Metanium MGL... I know it isn't a finesse reel, I just like to get a better idea of a reel's lower limit when purchasing one, 90% of my fishing requires lighter lures than most throw and even my stronger reels are normally set up for lighter tactics.

Just get a dedicated finesse reel or the conquest BFS.. either way take the journey and get the conquest
Seems like your talking yourself out of the obvious answer in my opinion but also seems like your wanting a very diverse round reel and thats Daiwa with the ability to spool swap but still your limited in IPT.. The only answer is to buy both as is the TT way
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:14 am

The Conquest is at the top of my list for now, but they are sold out. The idea of a Ryoga is cool too, I am so thankful for the pictures of literally EVERY reel I asked about. I was surprised at the Millionaire's size, I had no idea it was that big compared to the Ryoga. I did watch a disheartening video, a guy on youtube from Singapore seemed to not really enjoy his Ryoga and had the plastic brake hub brake and some other internal issue. I figured they were a very rock solid reel. It seems the Conquest always has been? I have been on here a while and cannot remember any threads stating issues with that reel...

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:59 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:14 am
The Conquest is at the top of my list for now, but they are sold out. The idea of a Ryoga is cool too, I am so thankful for the pictures of literally EVERY reel I asked about. I was surprised at the Millionaire's size, I had no idea it was that big compared to the Ryoga. I did watch a disheartening video, a guy on youtube from Singapore seemed to not really enjoy his Ryoga and had the plastic brake hub brake and some other internal issue. I figured they were a very rock solid reel. It seems the Conquest always has been? I have been on here a while and cannot remember any threads stating issues with that reel...
In an effort to help other people blow their hard earned money, JLS has the 100hg in stock. The millionaire is definitely bigger than the others, you can see it and feel it. The conquest is tiny in the hand, and feels very comfortable.

Compared to the 2020 JDM met spool and the 21 conquest they cast very similar if not identically, they are rated at the same line capacity.
Last edited by ss30378 on Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:07 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
The black Ryoga suffers from a rocky sideplate. I have to deliberately test/pull in order to notice - so no big issue IMO.
It is much more noticeable with the 1520 vs the 1016.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:20 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:07 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
The black Ryoga suffers from a rocky sideplate. I have to deliberately test/pull in order to notice - so no big issue IMO.
It is much more noticeable with the 1520 vs the 1016.
Which one is worse? I would only be interested in the 1016H model. If they had a smaller 1012SV version with a 7 ratio though... That would be a dream reel for me.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:10 am

The 1520 is worse than 1016 on the sideplate issue.
For me to notice, I have to grip the sideplate firmly and twist and turn.
When using the reel for fishing, I never only grip the sideplate, and I never noticed a thing while fishing.
Naturally, I would prefer a sideplate with no movement, but it doesn’t bother me…

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:27 am

Didn't want to start an entirely new thread for a question, so I figured I would just revive this one for a second...

Are there any differences in the USDM Conquest 100HGA and the JDM Conquest 100HG??? The main thing I am finding is that Shimano Japan lists the line capacity at: 12lb/100m, 14lb/90m, or 16lb/80m. The USDM model on Shimano's website is listed at: 10lb/105yard, 12lb/85yard, or 14lb/70yard.

So is the USDM model actually more shallow or is information listed wrong somewhere? I also notice that some of the JDM sites do not refer to the new Conquest model as the "A" if that makes a difference. Really bums me out because I want the most shallow version possible, but I will have to choose something else because the US price of around $550 puts it out of my range. Anyone who has had one or the other would be greatly appreciated to answer... I hope the spools are identical and this is a typo.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:57 am

I think they are the same but JDM line is usually thinner per rating

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:45 am

You seem to be trying really hard to turn a Conquest or Bantam into a JDM shallow spool light weight casting reel. Just buy a Conquest BFS if that’s what you’re targeting. As far as those three reels go BFS range to lightweight only = Conquest BFS, broad “Jack of all trades” range that can handle both ends of the weight spectrum = Conquest 100, and mid to heavy weights = Bantam. Any fine tuning from those general ranges 110% relies on your own casting abilities and your choice of line types/sizes.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:28 pm

Cranky wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:45 am
You seem to be trying really hard to turn a Conquest or Bantam into a JDM shallow spool light weight casting reel. Just buy a Conquest BFS if that’s what you’re targeting. As far as those three reels go BFS range to lightweight only = Conquest BFS, broad “Jack of all trades” range that can handle both ends of the weight spectrum = Conquest 100, and mid to heavy weights = Bantam. Any fine tuning from those general ranges 110% relies on your own casting abilities and your choice of line types/sizes.
I have always kind of done this. The majority of the work the Conquest will do will be 3/16 heads with a 3.3" to 3.8" Keitech, smaller finesse jig, tubes, creatures, etc. I just ask about finesse ability because it normally gives me an idea of what to expect with those lures. A BFS reel would be very overloaded with one of those lures, but I could get a Conquest BFS and use it on a ML rod with 7lb fluorocarbon and it would fit nicely. I guess I ask about the spectrum of lures because I never know what I will get in a few years and where the current reel will get placed. For me personally, an SV105 (alphas SV) w/ 7lb fluorocarbon does most of the finesse work I require fine. I have caught 1000s of fish dropshotting that setup with a roboworm and a 1/8-3/16oz weight. So as long as a reel can throw that okay then it serves about any purpose well for me. My Chronarch MGL, whilst still a good reel didn't do quite as well in this area. Initially I was impressed with its light lure abilities, but after a few years I ended up moving it to a 7'6"MH w/ 14lb FC for jigs and what not.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:40 pm

If you want something different get a Conquest BFS. That’s my advice. 3/16 plus light plastics and all the things you mentioned are on the BFS to lightweight end of the spectrum for any of the other casting reels you mentioned. I think you’re considering these medium or medium heavy and for the vast majority of people that’s just not the case. Line under 10# a Conquest BFS is right in your wheelhouse.

It doesn’t seem like you have anything specific in mind but want specific advice. Just don’t buy a Bantam A for what you’re listing above.