Daiwa Tatula HD 200 Spool Options

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Daiwa Tatula HD 200 Spool Options

Post by amso4 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:37 pm

I have a Tat HD 200 I bought for 20lb mono to use with glidebaits and large swimbaits. I have never liked casting with it. It seems like it overbrakes early in the cast. I dial it down and then it overruns at the end. The spool is a fixed inductor. I cannot seem to enjoy using it.

I would like to try some different spools or something so I can feel good about the reel. Would I be able to put a Tatula 150 spool in the reel so that I can get a moving inductor?? Are there any other spools that will help out with casting with this reel.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Daiwa Tatula HD 200 Spool Options

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:31 pm

amso4 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:37 pm
.... It seems like it overbrakes early in the cast. I dial it down and then it overruns at the end.
With a fixed inductor and heavy weight lures, you have to use a tighter cast control cap in order to back off the mag dial.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:58 am

You have 2 options. The Tatula 153 spool and the Ray's Studio 200 spool. I have all 3 spools. Also that braking profile of the fixed inductor spool is just how they all are even the highly regarded ZPI spools. You can't whip a bait out there. They'll over brake at the end of the cast if set up not to overrun early when bomb casting. To me bomb casting is actuall "normal casting" but to others this is not the case. Run the dial a little lower and make a smoother casting stroke. Let the rod do the work. Besides a a lot of these baits cast horribly anyways and sort if flop about in the air.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86988

200 fixed inductor: 20 lbs mono throwing baits over 1.5 oz. The linear mag brake works well to tame monster sized baits.

153 spool: This one is for normal sized bass baits and is a 36mm Magforce Z spool

Ray's: I got this one before I found my 153. The plan was to use a swimbait and pinching stick. 200 spool for mono and swimbaits then the Ray's for braid and punching

The 153 spool is what you want but impossible to find for sale by itself and if you do it will be prohibitively expensive. Instead it better to buy a used Tatula 153 and swap parts off it. That's what I did. I got a $132 used very good condition Tatula 153 and swapped spools. I also took the red mag dial for use on my Fuego CT ans red spool tension knob for my Tatula Type R. I put the gold mag dial, gold 200 spool and gunmetal spool tension knob onto the "Tatula 153" and sold it as a Franken Tatula 200 in the classifieds. I later added a purple 200 spool for my reel so I could complete the purple look for my purple rod.

I got my 153 off bass.co.jp. They have another one for a bit more than I paid that looks mint. These reels also have a short crank shaft with a bolt instead of a nut and a metal drag star. My reel was a righty and my 153 was a lefty so I couldn't make use of those parts or I would have taken those too.
Last edited by LowRange on Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:03 am

Also there is the 16 HRF spool but hedgehog wants $115 before shipping. I think I paid something like a net loss of $60 for the parts I wanted in my swap. The 153 spool, red mag dial and red spool tension knob. Something like $150 for the reel shipped to me and then sold it for like $90 really quickly.

The Ray's spool might work for you if you want to use a dual spool approach. Big baits on the 200 spool and is the rays spool for smaller stuff with a small diameter braid. I wouldnt be afraid to throw frogs on it with 40 or 55# samurai braid. The ideal application for this spool is probably for 20# braid for coastal work with the Coastal 200 or as I intended to use it as a punching spool on a swimbait and punch stick.