Metanium shallow edition, who plans to get one?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Metanium shallow edition, who plans to get one?

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:40 pm

SSS wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:15 am
Waste of money. Get yourself a custom shalow spool, and it will perform better and cost much much less.
If the anglers is only going to use one spool, would be cheaper to just buy the Shallow Edition as it is if they are looking for a shallower option without getting into BFS territoru
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:04 pm

Just throwing this information in here:

Friend of mine just sold his yumeya spool after he tried the rays spool. Starts up way quicker and is less finicky, more consistent casts. Line capacity is more for braid tho. 100m PE1.0.

Yumeya filled with braid: 16.1g
Rays filled with braid: 12.8g

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:00 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:40 pm
SSS wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:15 am
Waste of money. Get yourself a custom shalow spool, and it will perform better and cost much much less.
If the anglers is only going to use one spool, would be cheaper to just buy the Shallow Edition as it is if they are looking for a shallower option without getting into BFS territoru
That is if they don't already have the standard met mgl. For those that do, i really don't see the point of this shallow version. We're talking about $450 for a spool that has a lower capacity lol kinda ridiculous. If the frame was new (not that its needed), at least you'd get a new toy to play with, but buying just what you already have with a new non custom spool for this much is :talk hand: from me.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:24 pm

dennis_rf wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:04 pm
Just throwing this information in here:

Friend of mine just sold his yumeya spool after he tried the rays spool. Starts up way quicker and is less finicky, more consistent casts. Line capacity is more for braid tho. 100m PE1.0.

Yumeya filled with braid: 16.1g
Rays filled with braid: 12.8g
Although I am a fan of 2 spools for a reel, if someone was just pitching light plastics, probably best to just buy the Shallow Edition instead of buying the standard version then buying the Rays spool. Stock spool would sit in the box for me.

jigheadworm
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by jigheadworm » Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:06 pm

Has anybody tried the avail microcast spool yet?

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:25 pm

jigheadworm wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:06 pm
Has anybody tried the avail microcast spool yet?
Not me. I have the two KTF spools (made before the new KTF bearing style) and the Rays spool.
Actually, the Rays spool performs very nice and is on par with the KTFs.
As noted by HWK, stock spool is now collecting dust…

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:24 am

Even though I was one of the first to post the worry about the aluminum gears, I fish lighter lines and looser drags so the reel could still potentially be on my radar. Enjoying one high end Shimano has me checking into the others. However, one thing that has me concerned is the fact that the JDM Metanium is already more shallow than the US version. When you go to the Japanese website, the shallow Metanium is listed at 65 meters of 12lb line and the regular JDM version is listed at 100 meters of 12lb line. For me, I could just add 35 meters of cheap braid backing (which barely weighs anything) and get a similar capacity. I do not know if the shallow spool is significantly lighter though and this does come into play. I remember the Daiwa 1012 and 1016 SV G1 spools not being overly different and I question if these Metanium spool variants might be the same way.

So this mixed with a $50 price increase and lack of brass gears will probably make the Metanium Shallow Edition not the most popular reel. If you could find a Yumeya or DIY shallow spool, the price difference would make it worth grabbing the original model and just having 2 spools to use.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:18 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:24 am
Even though I was one of the first to post the worry about the aluminum gears, I fish lighter lines and looser drags so the reel could still potentially be on my radar. Enjoying one high end Shimano has me checking into the others. However, one thing that has me concerned is the fact that the JDM Metanium is already more shallow than the US version. When you go to the Japanese website, the shallow Metanium is listed at 65 meters of 12lb line and the regular JDM version is listed at 100 meters of 12lb line. For me, I could just add 35 meters of cheap braid backing (which barely weighs anything) and get a similar capacity. I do not know if the shallow spool is significantly lighter though and this does come into play. I remember the Daiwa 1012 and 1016 SV G1 spools not being overly different and I question if these Metanium spool variants might be the same way.

So this mixed with a $50 price increase and lack of brass gears will probably make the Metanium Shallow Edition not the most popular reel. If you could find a Yumeya or DIY shallow spool, the price difference would make it worth grabbing the original model and just having 2 spools to use.
I think Shimano Japan website says it's 10gr lighter. That more than likely means the shallow spool WEIGHS 10gr but...who knows

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:11 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:18 am
I think Shimano Japan website says it's 10gr lighter. That more than likely means the shallow spool WEIGHS 10gr but...who knows
https://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product/4770

HH is showing the shallow spool weighs 14.3g

I think most of the 10g weight savings is coming from the aluminum main gear.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:06 am

The shallow Yumeya spool is indeed heavier than the 70 spool, as a bigger diameter uses more material.
I believe there is no difference in the Yumeya spool and the Stock shallow spool. Why would there be….

Spooled up with braid we‘re looking at:
70: 19.3g
Yumeya: 16.1g
With FC the difference will be bigger.

I personally like having more spools, as I have more rods than reels and will only take 3 combos with me. No need for my tackle to live monogamous, it’s mix and match for what’s about to happen on a day.

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Sun May 22, 2022 5:19 pm

Been had this reel for a month, hg model & got to use it mostly all day yesterday at a bfl throwing a weightless fluke. Had it spooled with 10lb 100% berkley Trilene which is one of the thicker floros & had no issues with capacity. Also didn’t notice a difference in smoothness from the reg Metanium cause of different gearing. Was using a 7’2M adrena & gettin great distance & control in a above avg windy day. I can also see using it as a senko reel also, will be my Vision 110 reel in the colder months. I can guarantee this is a better option than the reg Metanium that I was using, a keeper in my book