Steez A HLC or Zillion HD

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
vncnt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Steez A HLC or Zillion HD

Post by vncnt » Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:03 pm

Looking to pick up either the Steez A HLC or Zillion HD with the mag-z boost spool for my Megabass X4 destruction. No specific use. I want to maximize the rod’s versatility and casting performance, but leaning towards lures between 3/4 - 2 oz. Planning on using 16-20 lb test in mono or fluoro, maybe 50 lb braid.

From what I see, not much seems to separate these reels. Thoughts? Advice?

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Steez A HLC or Zillion HD

Post by Drakestar » Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:51 pm

vncnt wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:03 pm
Looking to pick up either the Steez A HLC or Zillion HD with the mag-z boost spool for my Megabass X4 destruction. No specific use. I want to maximize the rod’s versatility and casting performance, but leaning towards lures between 3/4 - 2 oz. Planning on using 16-20 lb test in mono or fluoro, maybe 50 lb braid.

From what I see, not much seems to separate these reels. Thoughts? Advice?
The Steez A HLC excels at bombing compact baits in your weight spectrum. I wouldn't throw big and bulky baits on it (anything with high air resistance). It's not great for precision casting, either, it's bombing only.

Zillion HD TW works well for bulky baits (including glides) and flipping into cover. It's heavy duty enough to do that job well.

If you want versatility, I'd go Zillion.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:41 pm

I had a bad experience with a Steez A, and whilst trying to solve it found a few others with similar issues on the same reel and the Morethan too. Not sure the HLC has it, but mine was a very simple levelwind shim. TackleTrap fixed it cheap, but the reel did gain a tight feeling. So even though I would be brave enough to try a Steez again, I'd go with the Zillion.

O26A
Angler
Angler

Post by O26A » Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:54 pm

I agree with Drakestar. I would go with the Zillion HD, I find the steez just limited to bombing cast. (Have zero issues with the steez) been using mine for chatterbaits. Own the zillion but haven't had a chance to use it yet. But already thinking of buying another. And as for appearance of reels the zillion looks much nicer IMO.
- Rick

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:35 pm

For what it's worth, here's a bad picture of the Zillion HD, Steez A HLC and morethan PE next to each other. Not sure how obvious it is from the image, but the Zillion feels like the heaviest-duty reel when you see them side by side. If you want the smaller (but still heavy duty) feeling of a Steez A, you might change the spool to a non-HLC one or consider a morethan PE.
Reels.jpg
Reels.jpg (101.25 KiB) Viewed 1773 times

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:11 am

New Zillion HD's are scarce. Not a single one in stock at the big jdm sites like digitaka/JLS.

vncnt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vncnt » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:50 am

Thanks for the feedback. Appreciate the info. The morethan has my attention now.

The new zillion hd is what I was/am considering, and yes they are hard to find.

Feelsgoodman84
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Feelsgoodman84 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:10 am

There are a couple new zillion hd on Amazon JP

Tejota Bettio
Angler
Angler

Post by Tejota Bettio » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:55 pm

Hi,

What's the size of the spool for the new zillion HD TW 34mm or 36mm?

Steez A Hlc is 36mm (spools from Zillion OG fit perfectly)

If the new zillion HD shares the 34mm 1016 platform like the Zillion SV TW the spool options are almost endless.

Just something that might help you decide (spool availability and line quantity)