A list of great spool swaps

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: A list of great spool swaps

Post by LowRange » Fri May 20, 2022 5:42 am

The Zillion SV G1 spool in a T3 MX is amazing good. I was sending light Texas rigs insane distances on long cast and then fishing in 25 mph wind and a max brake able to cast right into it at low dial settings and skip baits. Biggest advantage that heavy braking Max Brake was to control the amount of braid the wind can grab. Just a very nice pairing of that already more free casting SV spool with magforce 3D. Bests the Tatula Elite in distance with the same lighter baits on Long Cast then out controls it on Max Brake. Most spool and reel pairings are either one or the other. Shame its a T3 though. This braking system needs to return on a metal frame reel. I'll buy 4 Zillion SV G1 spools to put in if such a reel if it ever exists.

A quick rundown on Magforce 3D. Normally Daiwa magnets are fixed in place and the dial rotates the two magnet rings moving N and S on the rings closer or away from which other to increase or decrease braking strength. This is a braking strength adjustment and not a braking profile. Normally braking profile is set by the spool with things like brake type, inductor length thickness and spring strength being what defines the braking profile. A Magforce 3D reel can actually alter the braking profile of the spool by moving the magnets closer or away from the spool. This has the same effect as inductor swapping your spool on a non Magforce 3D reel.

Long Cast is like swapping to a shorter inductor and Max Brake is like adding a longer inductor. An average SV spool in a Magforce 3D reel will cast like an SS SV at Max Brake and like a Zillion SV G1 on long cast. A Zillion SV G1 set to long cast takes this even further and makes an already free casting SV spool even more free. Again, shame that it has to be in a T3 though.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri May 20, 2022 6:22 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:26 am
Steez 103 type r+ spool with HLC spring to Zillion sv tw. Better braking profile for aerodynamically lures.
I'ze HLC spool (with new HLC spring) to Zillion sv tw. A little more line capacity than Steez 103 type r+ spool. Very good braking profile for aerodynamically lures.

K.T.F. spool to ct Alphas. Very good for finesse fishing but it costs same as reel.
That R+ spool in the Zillion SV TW makes sense. If you look at the pictures below comparing a T3, TD-Z and Zillion SV TW with the T3 being set between Long Cast and Max brake, you can see that the Zillion SV TW has magnets close to the spool giving that reel a stronger braking profile than say, a TD-Z or Long Cast T3. That tapered inductor of the R+ and stiffer spring should help to compensate for the stronger braking of that reel. How do the HLC and R+ springs compare? I like my R+ in my old TD-S. Its a great 1/4 - 3/8 oz crank spool. Fast, free and fun with just a touch of wild to keep things interesting but trouble free.

TD Ito and T3 MX on long cast
Zillion TW SV and T3 MX on max brake
TD Ito and Zillion TW SV

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri May 20, 2022 7:11 am

LowRange wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 6:22 am
That R+ spool in the Zillion SV TW makes sense. If you look at the pictures below comparing a T3, TD-Z and Zillion SV TW with the T3 being set between Long Cast and Max brake, you can see that the Zillion SV TW has magnets close to the spool giving that reel a stronger braking profile than say, a TD-Z or Long Cast T3. That tapered inductor of the R+ and stiffer spring should help to compensate for the stronger braking of that reel. How do the HLC and R+ springs compare? I like my R+ in my old TD-S. Its a great 1/4 - 3/8 oz crank spool. Fast, free and fun with just a touch of wild to keep things interesting but trouble free.
Yes, I'ze HLC and R+ spools (with std. and HLC springs) are my favorite spools for sv tw Zillion.

All of these spools are aftermarket spools, So i'm not sure were those original when I got those. I made some measurements, and in I'ze HLC appeared a little softer than HLC spring, so I replaced it. In R+ apperared very close to std. Z spring stifnesses.

My measurements was in-accurate, I just pressed spring until I thought it was fully compressed and then tried to read measurement from scale.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri May 20, 2022 7:18 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 7:11 am
LowRange wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 6:22 am
Yes, I'ze HLC and R+ spools (with std. and HLC springs) are my favorite spools for sv tw Zillion.

All of these spools are aftermarket spools, So i'm not sure were those original when I got those. I made some measurements, and in I'ze HLC appeared a little softer than HLC spring, so I replaced it. In R+ apperared very close to std. Z spring stifnesses.

My measurements was in-accurate, I just pressed spring until I thought it was fully compressed and then tried to read measurement from scale.
Also Japan Tackle has HLC springs back in stock.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Sun May 22, 2022 6:11 pm

I ended up putting a purple rcs 1012 sv spool in my zillion platform sv103. The small inductor casted weightless plastics very well set to 8or9. I didn't think it would break enough to skip with so I swapped the sv103 inductor from my springless spool and I was casting a keitech 4.8 very well on 3. I don't think I ever went under 3.5 on my stock sv103. With the same inductor the two spools seem like they preform similar. The 1012 is shallower and prob lighter than SV 103 spool so it still seems to cast the weightless plastics better but so far I'm pretty stoked on the swap! We are still prespawn-spawn up here in the Northwoods. I'll let u guys know how she skips in a couple weeks when the dock bite starts! Thanks for the feedback

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun May 22, 2022 6:18 pm

Dock skipping and SV tuning. Two of my favorites. I've got an SV spool from a Prorex PE in a Fuego CT I put an Alphas SV inductor on that still won't skip easily so next comes the 17 Tatula SV inductor. Maybe I'll put the Alphas SV inductor on the 17 Tatula SV spool and sell it? I lost the reel with a bfs spool in it so the spool is homeless.

Tejota Bettio
Angler
Angler

Post by Tejota Bettio » Tue May 24, 2022 3:14 am

T3 RCS 1016 Mag Z is a great spool for Zillion SV TW 21/ Morethan/ Zillion SV /SS 103 for bombing baits/frogs

34mm 1016 is the best platform regarding spool option in my opinion

Typer R+ and Steez I'Ze Factory Hyper Cast 34mm are probably my favourites.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue May 24, 2022 3:57 pm

Recently picked up an PX68 Finesse spool, along with some 33-31 spacers. I'd like to ask which reels people have used this spool in, and what it really shines in. Obviously I can use most every Alphas, and all Pixys. I'm strongly considering the Alphas Air Stream Custom, but not sure how this spool will perform in it. Has anyone used this combination before?

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Fri May 27, 2022 8:26 pm

Anybody put sv105 spool in tdz for skipping? I really like my tdz. They palm better for me than alphas platform, also I feel like the tdz transmit vibration from the rod better than aluminum reels.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sat May 28, 2022 3:57 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 3:57 pm
Recently picked up an PX68 Finesse spool, along with some 33-31 spacers. I'd like to ask which reels people have used this spool in, and what it really shines in. Obviously I can use most every Alphas, and all Pixys. I'm strongly considering the Alphas Air Stream Custom, but not sure how this spool will perform in it. Has anyone used this combination before?
I'm relatively certain that the magnets and spacing are the same between the Alphas' and Pixy's. Theoretically, the PX68 Finesse spool should behave the same in the ASC as in a Pixy.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat May 28, 2022 12:13 pm

adam lancia wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 3:57 am
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 3:57 pm
I'm relatively certain that the magnets and spacing are the same between the Alphas' and Pixy's. Theoretically, the PX68 Finesse spool should behave the same in the ASC as in a Pixy.
Copy that. I thought that the magnets might be different with the ASC, being it's tuned for light baits and stream fishing. Only one way to find out.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sat May 28, 2022 12:55 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 12:13 pm
Copy that. I thought that the magnets might be different with the ASC, being it's tuned for light baits and stream fishing. Only one way to find out.
I'm pretty sure it's just the ASC spool that's been tuned and not the magnets. I never tried that spool in a Pixy though so I can't be completely certain of my assumption being true. Once you give it a whirl, I'd be curious to hear about it, especially a head to head off those two spools.

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:23 pm

Cracker wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:56 am
2 spools impressed me and I use these in my Steez SV TW, Zillion SV TW, and all T3 variants, instead of original SV spools.

ZPI NRC M and Daiwa SLP Works RCS Magforce-Z 1012 G1, both are really longcasting, easy to handle spools.
1012 G1 somehow casts better compare to 1016 G1.

This 1012G1 spool looks tempting. Just to clarify, is this a different spool than what comes stock in the Steez A? It looks eerily similar to the stock spool in the steez A, but am I correct when assuming they are not the same?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:18 am

jpmoney wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:23 pm
Cracker wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:56 am
2 spools impressed me and I use these in my Steez SV TW, Zillion SV TW, and all T3 variants, instead of original SV spools.

ZPI NRC M and Daiwa SLP Works RCS Magforce-Z 1012 G1, both are really longcasting, easy to handle spools.
1012 G1 somehow casts better compare to 1016 G1.

This 1012G1 spool looks tempting. Just to clarify, is this a different spool than what comes stock in the Steez A? It looks eerily similar to the stock spool in the steez A, but am I correct when assuming they are not the same?
Pretty sure that is a 1012 version of the stock Steez A spool. So it probably performs close to the same with just a tad less capacity for a slightly lighter overall filled weight.

I enjoyed the Steez A Mag-Z spool. Worked great in the SS/SV, Zillion SVTW, and the Steez A itself. I really didn't feel much light lure capability loss, I consistently cast 3/16 with a small swimbait using the spool. I did run about half braid backing and 12lb fluorocarbon though.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:34 am

Here's one that doesn't get a lot of attention for speed and distance.

OG Type R spool (I used my TD-ITO spool) adapted with the smaller TDX factory gold spool bearing. I just flush the factory bearing and used standard red Daiwa oil.

This combo is a wicked fast long distance launcher. Faster start up speed for sure with the smaller TDX HSDF bearing...does well with copoly and mono, and really launches with 30lb SS8 II I have on there now.

The limitation is that it will have to be swapped into a TDX HSDF/HSD, this lower gear ratios, heavier weight, old school ergos. For me, this reel sits on an OG Phenix Ultra MBX Classic 707MH and I modded with ZPI straight CF handle, TDX drag star, Zillion Type R knobs.

For 1/2-1 oz lipless, paddletails, topwaters, spoons, it's stellar...but those long arse casts take a bit of time to bring back in with the 6.3:1 ratio. This said, it helps to keep paddletails and wakes at mid-speed cranking.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."