A list of great spool swaps

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

A list of great spool swaps

Post by LowRange » Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:51 am

Not all spools behave the same way in all reels they drop into. Sometimes there is that magic combination of spool and reel that really shine. Let's make a list.

We will limit this to spools that behave differently than they do in their native reel. For example, an Elite Long Cast spool drops into a Fuego CT but doesn't perform any differently than it does in the Elite so this swap would not qualify.

Some reels just brake the spool a little differently than other reels with the same braking system. With Daiwas its little things like how strong the magnets are or how far away they are from the spool or more accurately, how deeply set into the side plate they are.

Let's list spool swaps in reels that do something favorable to the casting performance of the reel. Either allow it to cast further or better at a certain technique ect. Once we have a good list maybe we can get the topic moved and stickied in the maintenence forum. This is not Diawa only. I've heard of Shimano spool swaps that work wonders too.

Here is what I have:

1010 spool in old pre-TWS Steez
These spools come in either an SLP works 1010 or as the Megabass FX68 stock spool. Performance is nothing remarkable in stronger magnet 34mm platforms but in the old weak magnet Steez these spools are great long casting spools with good control when throwing 110 size jerkbaits. They are shallow but are heavy and are not finesse spools. These are for long casting 1/2 oz with small diameter line like braid or 10# fouro.

Zillion 1016SV in TD-Z
This spool becomes much more free and faster than it was in the Zillion. After comparing side plates, the TD-Z magnets are more deeply set into the side plate and further away from the spool. That means less inductor in the magnets at slower speeds when the inductor retracts and seats against the spool. The distance from the leading edge of the set plate to the magnets on a TD-Z is very similar to a T3 set to Long Cast mode if that tells you anything. Really any spool in a TD-Z get a change in braking profile due to the magnet placement. It may be why the reel is still so highly regarded today for its casting performance.
Last edited by LowRange on Fri May 06, 2022 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: A list of great spool swaps

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:26 am

Steez A Magforce-Z spool in a Daiwa SS/SV:
-this was my lighter cranking reel for a while. For some reason the SS/SV has an odd braking profile that works with SV spools but doesn't particularly gain great distance. With a Zillion SVTW spool it seems to border fair distance, controlled casting then gets unruly and hard to control with lower brake settings. The Steez A spool helped to eliminate this for some reason. I assume that because the Magforce-Z inductor interacts with the reel's magnets less, there is less odd casting, much like how a fixed inductor gives more consistent casting. For me though the Steez A G1 Mag-Z spool made the SS/SV a consistent, good distance caster for hard lures 3/8 and above with the ability to still cast down to a 1/4 hard bait fair. The Zillion SVTW spool still works better for 1/4 and under, but loses that free casting ability/distance feel you get with a centrifugal braked reel.

Zillion SVTW spool in a Daiwa Steez A:
-I have since sold my Steez A, but found this combination to be great. I guess the Steez A has a different braking profile because without a doubt it would outcast the Zillion SVTW with its own spool. Maybe it was a more precision side plate bearing or magnets, but something was noticeably different. The A had the same control but much more distance than the Zillion with the same spool. I would run the Zillion on anywhere from 5-9 on the dial for most casting purposes whilst running the Steez on 2-4. Thinking of this makes me actually wonder if the Steez A brakes were stronger and could therefore be run on a lower setting. This was done with the exact same spool at times and other times the only difference was backing used, both ran 10lb fluorocarbon at the time.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:41 am

I've heard the the Zillion SV Boost spool in the Steez TW SV casts better than it does in the Zillion from more than one source. Another says its less controlled in the Steez TW SV so I'm guessing "better" is faster or farther casting but not as skip friendly.
Last edited by LowRange on Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:18 am

LowRange wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:41 am
I've heard the the Zillion SV Boost spool in the Steez TW SV casts better than it does in the Zillion from more than one source. Another says its less controlled in the Steez TW SV so I'm guessing "better is faster or farther casting but not as skip friendly.
I had heard people say that before I owned a Steez or even tried spool swaps. After I tried it I found it very obvious. I do not know what difference there is but something is changed. Wish I had tried the SV Boost in the Steez A before I sold it. I would like to know how some of the swaps that require spacers go. So many interesting combinations now.

Something I thought of earlier while reading another thread, it seems so many people with the 30mm SV CT spool swap it out for a DIY or aftermarket brand. Is something wrong with that spool? Over braked?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:42 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:18 am
LowRange wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:41 am
I've heard the the Zillion SV Boost spool in the Steez TW SV casts better than it does in the Zillion from more than one source. Another says its less controlled in the Steez TW SV so I'm guessing "better is faster or farther casting but not as skip friendly.
I had heard people say that before I owned a Steez or even tried spool swaps. After I tried it I found it very obvious. I do not know what difference there is but something is changed. Wish I had tried the SV Boost in the Steez A before I sold it. I would like to know how some of the swaps that require spacers go. So many interesting combinations now.

Something I thought of earlier while reading another thread, it seems so many people with the 30mm SV CT spool swap it out for a DIY or aftermarket brand. Is something wrong with that spool? Over braked?
I've heard different reports. From it casts bass finesse baits really well with little start up energy and a flat trajectory to it suffers from distance due to the small diameter. Both are probably true. The positives were comparing the 30mm SV and 33 mm SV OG Alphas variants. The poor performance reports were comparing the Steez CT to a ZPI spool swapped Steez TW. Also 30mm has benefits over bigger 34mm spool sizes when using BFS spools so I imagine both reels with the highly affordable Alphas CT 70 in particular being good candidates to drop a BFS spool in over a 33mm Alphas or 34 mm Steez. I never saw a need to upgrade over my two Alphas SVs and the tiny Steez CT is appealing but pricy. Would rather try a Tatula 70 SVs 1st to see if that tiny form fact holds any real appeal to me.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:59 am

I can bomb a Pop-X or similar sized popper in both the Alphas CT and Steez CT with stock spools.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:26 am

Steez 103 type r+ spool with HLC spring to Zillion sv tw. Better braking profile for aerodynamically lures.
I'ze HLC spool (with new HLC spring) to Zillion sv tw. A little more line capacity than Steez 103 type r+ spool. Very good braking profile for aerodynamically lures.

K.T.F. spool to ct Alphas. Very good for finesse fishing but it costs same as reel.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:22 am

Best spool change I have ever done was putting a TDZ 100M spool in the OG Zillion or OG Fuego. This completely transformed these reels and let me throw lighter weights. Another good change was putting the SV105 gold spools into OG Steez 103's. It tamed the reel to where I could cast it into the wind. The spool that came stock is so fast, I had a difficult time with line fluff and terrible over runs.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:52 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:26 am
Steez 103 type r+ spool with HLC spring to Zillion sv tw. Better braking profile for aerodynamically lures.
I'ze HLC spool (with new HLC spring) to Zillion sv tw. A little more line capacity than Steez 103 type r+ spool. Very good braking profile for aerodynamically lures.

K.T.F. spool to ct Alphas. Very good for finesse fishing but it costs same as reel.
I just realized there are two different 30mm SV spools. The stock one that comes with the CT Alphas/Millionaire and then a shallow version available on JDM sites. 700 SV CT and 700 SV CT shallow. The shallow is listed at 9 grams on the JDM site while the regular is at 8 grams.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:16 am

Yes it is. Shallow might be good for something between true finesse and power finesse. Shallow version is 1 gram heavier because of circumstance of spool bottom is bigger.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:09 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:16 am
Yes it is. Shallow might be good for something between true finesse and power finesse. Shallow version is 1 gram heavier because of circumstance of spool bottom is bigger.
The SV700S weighs 8.1g without the pin and bearing. It shines in the 2g to 7g range. With the pin and bearing it weighs 9.8g. It's my favorite spool for the Millionaire.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:03 am

Megabass IS finesse spool in just about anything 34mm for BFS and mag-finesse

Megabass IP Honeycomb spool in any 36 mm Zillion, TD Fuego or US Trail.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:56 am

2 spools impressed me and I use these in my Steez SV TW, Zillion SV TW, and all T3 variants, instead of original SV spools.

ZPI NRC M and Daiwa SLP Works RCS Magforce-Z 1012 G1, both are really longcasting, easy to handle spools.
1012 G1 somehow casts better compare to 1016 G1.

Last edited by Cracker on Fri May 06, 2022 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:54 am

I was spooling the 1010 spool of 20# braid in the OG Steez limited last light with a weight transfer jerkbait with 15 mph wind to my back casting with one hand siting in a kayak. What a machine. 3/4 of max dial was just right for casting into a l5 mph wind. Max dial with wind was overshooting my targets and the bait got on top a few boat lifts. Max dial and no wind was good for target casting. Couldn't go below 6 on the dial even with the wind or the spool wanted to blow up.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:05 pm

Would a Daiwa SLP Works RCSB # 1000 SV Spool (PP) be as good as stock sv103 spool for skipping? I'm guessing it's a little faster but I can get it cheaper than a stock replacement sv103 spool from daiwa. It's purple and will match purple accents on reel.