A list of great spool swaps

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: A list of great spool swaps

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:00 pm

Obz wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:05 pm
Would a Daiwa SLP Works RCSB # 1000 SV Spool (PP) be as good as stock sv103 spool for skipping? I'm guessing it's a little faster but I can get it cheaper than a stock replacement sv103 spool from daiwa. It's purple and will match purple accents on reel.
Which SV103 reel are you referring to?

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:13 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:00 pm
Obz wrote:
Would a Daiwa SLP Works RCSB # 1000 SV Spool (PP) be as good as stock sv103 spool for skipping? I'm guessing it's a little faster but I can get it cheaper than a stock replacement sv103 spool from daiwa. It's purple and will match purple accents on reel.
Which SV103 reel are you referring to?
Thought there was only one. Daiwa SV103. Released 5yrs ago black and chrome zillion platform.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:18 pm

I guess there is also a tatula sv103 and zillion sv 103, I'm talking just Daiwa sv103. It's a 34mm spool so I think there are a lot of spool options for it.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:22 pm

It's the 103xs so like 7.3:1 it think purple accents on side plate

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:45 pm

So many to list, but I think these are my two favorites -
1012SV in any of the limited Steez reels, previous generation such as the SV103 and SV105.
SLP Works or Megabass 1010 spool in just about any 34mm reel. Not necessarily a straight swap, but the 34mm KTF Neo in a Tdz, Type R in my case.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:48 pm

Obz wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:22 pm
So the Zillion platform. I sold mine as I didn't like how restricted the stock spool, and spool swaps seemed tricky with this reel. It didn't seem to like many different spools in my experience.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun May 01, 2022 5:45 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:48 pm
Obz wrote:
So the Zillion platform. I sold mine as I didn't like how restricted the stock spool, and spool swaps seemed tricky with this reel. It didn't seem to like many different spools in my experience.
There was a 7.9 and a 6.3. They went very cheap on TackleWarehouse towards the end. I will always regret not buying one, I had bought 2 Zillion TWS at the time because they were similar priced on sale. Wish so bad I had grabbed a 6.3 SV103 and purple 7.9 SV103 instead of the 9.1 and 7.3 Zillion TWS's.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun May 01, 2022 8:42 am

Obz wrote:
I've only met one SV spool that didn't want to skip and it was from a PE special Prorex that I put in a Fuego CT. That SV 1000 spool looks like an excellent fit. Another good one is the purple SV105 spool from the SS SV105. I'll gladly trade you for the 1000 SV if you find it doesn't skip as well as you like. That one has a thinner inductor that may not be super skip friendly but my Alphas SVs have that inductor and skip fine. The SV105 (34mm shallow SV spool, not the USDM Alphas SV reel called the same thing) has a thicker inductor and is a well known known skipper.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Sun May 01, 2022 12:55 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:45 pm
So many to list, but I think these are my two favorites -
1012SV in any of the limited Steez reels, previous generation such as the SV103 and SV105.
SLP Works or Megabass 1010 spool in just about any 34mm reel. Not necessarily a straight swap, but the 34mm KTF Neo in a Tdz, Type R in my case.
Nice, thanks for the info
LowRange wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 8:42 am
Obz wrote:
I've only met one SV spool that didn't want to skip and it was from a PE special Prorex that I put in a Fuego CT. That SV 1000 spool looks like an excellent fit. Another good one is the purple SV105 spool from the SS SV105. I'll gladly trade you for the 1000 SV if you find it doesn't skip as well as you like. That one has a thinner inductor that may not be super skip friendly but my Alphas SVs have that inductor and skip fine. The SV105 (34mm shallow SV spool, not the USDM Alphas SV reel called the same thing) has a thicker inductor and is a well known known skipper.
Cool man thanks! So I could also try swapping the inductor from the stock sv103 spool on the 1000sv too if
It doesn't want to skip eh? I have another sv103 that I use for hucking large topwaters mostly. So if I don't like it I could put 1000sv in topwater reel and get some of that extra distance it's lacking.

That 1000sv spool is on asian portal for $76 if you don't want to wait.
DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 5:45 am
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:48 pm
Obz wrote:
There was a 7.9 and a 6.3. They went very cheap on TackleWarehouse towards the end. I will always regret not buying one, I had bought 2 Zillion TWS at the time because they were similar priced on sale. Wish so bad I had grabbed a 6.3 SV103 and purple 7.9 SV103 instead of the 9.1 and 7.3 Zillion TWS's.
I had 4, sold two, wish I still had them.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Thu May 05, 2022 4:02 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:26 am
Steez A Magforce-Z spool in a Daiwa SS/SV:
-this was my lighter cranking reel for a while. For some reason the SS/SV has an odd braking profile that works with SV spools but doesn't particularly gain great distance. With a Zillion SVTW spool it seems to border fair distance, controlled casting then gets unruly and hard to control with lower brake settings. The Steez A spool helped to eliminate this for some reason. I assume that because the Magforce-Z inductor interacts with the reel's magnets less, there is less odd casting, much like how a fixed inductor gives more consistent casting. For me though the Steez A G1 Mag-Z spool made the SS/SV a consistent, good distance caster for hard lures 3/8 and above with the ability to still cast down to a 1/4 hard bait fair. The Zillion SVTW spool still works better for 1/4 and under, but loses that free casting ability/distance feel you get with a centrifugal braked reel.

Zillion SVTW spool in a Daiwa Steez A:
-I have since sold my Steez A, but found this combination to be great. I guess the Steez A has a different braking profile because without a doubt it would outcast the Zillion SVTW with its own spool. Maybe it was a more precision side plate bearing or magnets, but something was noticeably different. The A had the same control but much more distance than the Zillion with the same spool. I would run the Zillion on anywhere from 5-9 on the dial for most casting purposes whilst running the Steez on 2-4. Thinking of this makes me actually wonder if the Steez A brakes were stronger and could therefore be run on a lower setting. This was done with the exact same spool at times and other times the only difference was backing used, both ran 10lb fluorocarbon at the time.
I also really liked the zillion svtw 1016 spool in my steez A (when I had one). Anyone know if it should have the same performance in a Morethan?

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Thu May 05, 2022 5:07 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 4:02 pm

I also really liked the zillion svtw 1016 spool in my steez A (when I had one). Anyone know if it should have the same performance in a Morethan?
I recently picked up a Morethan but haven’t fished it yet. Have you had time on the PE spool? What do you think about it?

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Thu May 05, 2022 6:14 pm

MountainMan 83 wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 5:07 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:

I recently picked up a Morethan but haven’t fished it yet. Have you had time on the PE spool? What do you think about it?
I just got my morethan today so I haven't used it yet.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri May 06, 2022 4:10 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
-this was my lighter cranking reel for a while. For some reason the SS/SV has an odd braking profile that works with SV spools but doesn't particularly gain great distance. With a Zillion SVTW spool it seems to border fair distance, controlled casting then gets unruly and hard to control with lower brake settings. The Steez A spool helped to eliminate this for some reason. I assume that because the Magforce-Z inductor interacts with the reel's magnets less, there is less odd casting, much like how a fixed inductor gives more consistent casting. For me though the Steez A G1 Mag-Z spool made the SS/SV a consistent, good distance caster for hard lures 3/8 and above with the ability to still cast down to a 1/4 hard bait fair. The Zillion SVTW spool still works better for 1/4 and under, but loses that free casting ability/distance feel you get with a centrifugal braked reel.

-I have since sold my Steez A, but found this combination to be great. I guess the Steez A has a different braking profile because without a doubt it would outcast the Zillion SVTW with its own spool. Maybe it was a more precision side plate bearing or magnets, but something was noticeably different. The A had the same control but much more distance than the Zillion with the same spool. I would run the Zillion on anywhere from 5-9 on the dial for most casting purposes whilst running the Steez on 2-4. Thinking of this makes me actually wonder if the Steez A brakes were stronger and could therefore be run on a lower setting. This was done with the exact same spool at times and other times the only difference was backing used, both ran 10lb fluorocarbon at the time.
Should be identical, I think the only difference in those reels are cosmetics and maybe a few internals depending on ratio. They had an 8.6 ratio that used marine bronze gears on the Morethan.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Fri May 06, 2022 5:58 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 4:10 am
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

Should be identical, I think the only difference in those reels are cosmetics and maybe a few internals depending on ratio. They had an 8.6 ratio that used marine bronze gears on the Morethan.
Thanks. I just got the 8.6 and it definitely looks like a steez A with a few cosmetic differences.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri May 06, 2022 6:23 am

Cracker wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:56 am
2 spools impressed me and I use these in my Steez SV TW, Zillion SV TW, and all T3 variants, instead of original SV spools.

ZPI NRC M and Daiwa SLP Works RCS Magforce-Z 1012 G1, both are really longcasting, easy to handle spools.
1012 G1 somehow casts better compare to 1016 G1.

Whats the scoop on the 1012 vs the 1010 spool? At 1st glance they look very similar. Both are shallower spools with the same type of Magforce Z brake. By that I mean they have sliding blocks that slide on the inductor base rather than behind the inductor like we see on other Magforce Z spools from the same time and today. I know the 1010 in the OG Steez and SS SV reels bomb.