Anyone have some time on the new Alphas 800

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Anyone have some time on the new Alphas 800

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:39 am

LowRange wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:03 pm
That SV spool has a super strong braking profile with the flick test.
That's not the braking. Those spool bearings are packed to the gills with grease. I flushed my spool bearings and relubed with red Daiwa oil and it's great for distance now.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:58 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:39 am
LowRange wrote:
That's not the braking. Those spool bearings are packed to the gills with grease. I flushed my spool bearings and relubed with red Daiwa oil and it's great for distance now.
I can hear the inductor extend and retract with a spool flick on any setting greater than half or maybe even more than that. It's super willing to stick that inductor out compared to my Alphas SV stock spools with the same flick test. It acts like the Zillion SV spool in my T3 MX when set to max brake. The inductor is also longer than my Alphas SV inductor but the same thickness but the spool shaff is longer on the inductor side too which may negate that length. Hard to tell because how far the magnets are from the spool also plays a role. Reels like the TD-Z and T3 on long cast have their magnets pretty far away from the spool and the Alphas TW are pretty close to the spool like many newer Daiwas. My initial reactions to the flick test are that it is a heavy braking profile. Time on the water will tell but its probably destined for a skipping rod anyways but I still want to compare it to other reels and do some inductor tuning anyways.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:43 pm

LowRange wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:58 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
LowRange wrote:
I can hear the inductor extend and retract with a spool flick on any setting greater than half or maybe even more than that. It's super willing to stick that inductor out compared to my Alphas SV stock spools with the same flick test. It acts like the Zillion SV spool in my T3 MX when set to max brake. The inductor is also longer than my Alphas SV inductor but the same thickness but the spool shaff is longer on the inductor side too which may negate that length. Hard to tell because how far the magnets are from the spool also plays a role. Reels like the TD-Z and T3 on long cast have their magnets pretty far away from the spool and the Alphas TW are pretty close to the spool like many newer Daiwas. My initial reactions to the flick test are that it is a heavy braking profile. Time on the water will tell but its probably destined for a skipping rod anyways but I still want to compare it to other reels and do some inductor tuning anyways.
The rotor does extend easily, but try what I said. Then tie on a 3/8 swimjig + trailer and give it a rip. You might not think it's a heavy braking profile after that.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:52 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:43 pm
LowRange wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:58 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
LowRange wrote:
The rotor does extend easily, but try what I said. Then tie on a 3/8 swimjig + trailer and give it a rip. You might not think it's a heavy braking profile after that.
I'll give it a go.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:51 pm

Can't wait to fish it. A couple of observations:

The inductor is very tall compared to my benchmark non boost SV spool, the Zillloon TW SV spool.

The spool behavior on flick tests matches the Zillion TW SV spool in the T3 when set on Max Brake Magforce 3D setting. Tested on settings between. 10 and 20. Full inductor extension followed by the same free spool time. Also the magnet rings are super close to the spool and very similar to the T3 when on Max Brake setting (Magforce 3D moves the magnets).

T3 Max Brake

T3 Long Cast

Looks like a controlled little reel and that's exactly what I want. I still wish Magforce 3D would return on a Steez or something. Yeeesh Daiwa.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:11 pm

The alphas tw , when bearings are flushed (like all daiwas need) will bomb a 1/4oz swim jig. Absolute steal at sub 200$.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:23 pm

Same size as the Curado 70. Alphas gets a twing and a controlled spool and the 70 is a faster spool reel. Mine is an Engetsu which is equally smooth and solid as the Alphas with MM gears and an aluminum handle side plate. I also like the non handle side plate locking mechanism better on the 70. The Alphas does twist lock an aluminum set plate unlike the 70 but that lock is very tough to slide. The engesu spools is so fast and the line opening so small I don't like it with non braid at all let alone 16#. Between a 70 MGL and an Alphas 800 there are two very similar sized reels with very different braking profiles.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:04 am

LowRange wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:23 pm
Same size as the Curado 70.
Alphas is indeed similar dimensionally from the top looking down, but it sits a good bit lower on the rod, which makes it feel smaller in hand.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:05 pm

nearly bought one then saw the daiwa video announcing a shallow spool version so I am now going to wait for that.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:14 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:05 pm
nearly bought one then saw the daiwa video announcing a shallow spool version so I am now going to wait for that.
Yeah that made me sick. I can't decide if I will get a second one or just get the spool whenever it is available...

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:35 pm

Really depends on the price… the alphas sv tw 800 spool is the first one in a long time that’s reasonably priced at ~$60. If it‘s gonna be above ~$100 I’d rather pay 200 bucks for a whole reel

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:48 am

dennis_rf wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:35 pm
Really depends on the price… the alphas sv tw 800 spool is the first one in a long time that’s reasonably priced at ~$60. If it‘s gonna be above ~$100 I’d rather pay 200 bucks for a whole reel
This is exactly what I am thinking, at under $200 most people can find a use for another reel. I just wish I had waited and/or hope the exchange prices stay this good. Honestly I doubt the difference will be much, unless they change the inductor too. I filled my Alphas with a good bit of old 30lb braid for backing, normally that helps. When I first bought a Zillion SVTW I filled it with about 1/2 old fluorocarbon and about 1/2 new fresh FC. The second Zillion SVTW got about 1/2 braid and 1/2 FC and it cast light lures better and all lures further. Line/backing can make more than a few gram difference and if I was to fill the new shallow Alphas with all FC I would assume they total weights wouldn't be much different (again assuming the don't change the rotor/spring or anything else with the new shallow spool).

montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by montey » Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:52 am

I dove in and got my first Alphas. I love it so far. I have two outings with and and about 15 bass up to 3.5lbs.
I was using 1/4oz finesse jigs, 15lb braid, 12lb leader and hitting them pretty good. No issues so far, the reel is smooth as can be.
Casting is great too.I'm really liking this reel!

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:20 pm

Been using mine a lot more. Still have R18 LTD (Tatsu) 12lb fluorocarbon on there. Was testing the lower weight limit more and more, reel does fine with 1/8oz dropshot weight and a 4.5" Robo ST. Using a ML rod I wish I had bought 8-10lb fluoro, but for now the 12lb is fine. I wish I had waited for the shallow spool, but honestly the stock one performs fine for me. A 3.3" Swing Impact Fat and a 3/16 jighead will bomb on the new Alphas.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:10 am

Over time, i wonder if this Alphas will become more of a fan fav than the OG version.