Anyone have some time on the new Alphas 800

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Anyone have some time on the new Alphas 800

Post by montey » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:04 pm

I read the review TT did, but was wondering if anyone has some time on them?
They can be had for under $200 right now.
Seems like a great deal.
thx

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Anyone have some time on the new Alphas 800

Post by SSS » Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:32 pm

Would've gotten one if they kept a 33mm spool diameter so i could swap spools with the og alphas.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:09 pm

montey wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:04 pm
I read the review TT did, but was wondering if anyone has some time on them?
They can be had for under $200 right now.
Seems like a great deal.
thx
I've used mine extensively, and it seems to be getting smoother and casting further every trip. I also caught this 6# fish with mine. Hard hookset on a T-rigged 10" worm, with braid and a snug drag, and the reel is still just as smooth as ever. The drag worked flawlessly, as well.

Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:14 pm

These prices are getting out of hand. SUB $200 USD?! I'm gonna cave and get one with a matching Tatula Elite rod. I just know it.

montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by montey » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:50 pm

LowRange wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:14 pm
These prices are getting out of hand. SUB $200 USD?! I'm gonna cave and get one with a matching Tatula Elite rod. I just know it.

Yes, look on Asian Portal or Digitaka.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:26 am

I plan on doing a long review of it, the new Zillion, and the unrelated Conquest 100HG.

Concerning the Alphas, I fished it a long time yesterday. My Alphas is mounted on a 7'2"M xf rod. I ran the Alphas with 12lb Seaguar R18 LTD. I really wish I had ran it with 10lb or even 8lb. I ended up getting a 6'10"ML casting rod and might just save it for whatever this new shallow spool Daiwa coming ends up being. So leaving the Alphas SVTW on the 7'2"M xf I primarily will use it for shaky heads, small swimbaits, tubes, etc.
Casting:
This Alphas scared me at first because it did not free spin well at all. This is what made me sell my Steez A after repair, it was smooth as could be but just had that tight feeling. The Alphas this was not the case; it must have been grease because the reel loosened up nicely and now fishes and spins great. Casting has always been free, I was terrified it would be over greased too, but that has not been the case. The inductor looks pretty big, but so far I have by no means noticed the reel being over braked. Yesterday I bank fished hard for a few hours, our river is clearing up and starting to lower back down after heavy spring rain. The lighter lures I threw were 3/16 Owner offset Block Heads w/ a Grandebass 3.75". This did not cast like a lighter lure and absolutely BOMBED. Due to wind I turned the brakes to 7 and got great distance. Any shaky head 3/16 w/ plastic or above should cast fine on this reel. I threw an 1/8 plus plastic a few times and it did well too, but I was focused on catching a fish or two so mainly threw 3/16 due to wind. Threw a random weightless tube a while too, but it was a local made w/ HEAVY salt so it sailed also (not really a lightweight bait).
Retrieve:
Very smooth reel. Not much to say on this one. Doesn't feel quite as smooth as the new Zillion, but unbelievable benchmark for a sub $200 reel.
Positives:
Small, palms great, powerful with enough line to serve on a MH but with a spool light enough to work great on a ML. Price is perfect. If Daiwa brought this reel to the USA for $200-220 it would be unstoppable. Prices are only going up on everything, and this would allow a ton of anglers to experience a higher end Daiwa feel for a mid price.
Negatives:
85mm handle. I know others have fussed at me and yes it is only 5mm more, but I feel it needs a 90mm handle. It isn't worth $40 to change it, but if I get the chance I will. The knobs are the tiny ones too, but they aren't so bad to me. The handle is really the only bad thing that comes to mind for me, and it isn't so bad, I deal with it on the Conquest (and have no way to change that handle) so I can deal with it on the Alphas...

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:04 am

I caved on a lefty 8:1. Going to pair it to some sort of Tatula Elite jig stick. Probably the shorty jig skipping one in AGS if it comes in AGS. It can take over the H jig skipping kayak duties for the irreplaceable megabass PP/IP combo. I maneuver with my right hand fighting wind with the paddle while holding a right reel in my left hand walking the drag star. This lefty purchase might be a mistake for kayak use. We'll see.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:06 am

I really like mine. The prices they go for are unreal. Lots of versatility with this reel. Casts a wide variety of baits well and feels pretty dang nice.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:25 am

Let's say a guy wanted to make a super Alphas. What would need to be done to get more than 9.9lbs of drag with a single drag washer? Upgrade to a main gear and drag stack from a Zillion 1000, Steez A or TD Zillon? Will non hyper gears even play nice with non hyper gears? I don't need the pressure for 16# fouro but I kind of like the idea of a flipping Alphas for a H Tatula Elite rod.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:43 am

Too much drag will always wear the gears: Speaking of which… a friend got spooled by catfish 3 times and his alphas still doesn’t have the slightest buzz, just as it came out of the box. That‘s the reason I needed one too. Can’t add anything else to DirtyD64s writeup.

Couldn’t one increase the drag power by using a drag washer that covers the whole inside of the gear? Stock is a ring shape drag washer so I see some potential surface area.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:50 am

Why do the new hyper gear reels only come with 10-11 lbs of drag vs the 13+ of other Daiwas? I don't need it but big drag number is a selling point.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:18 am

SSS wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:32 pm
Would've gotten one if they kept a 33mm spool diameter so i could swap spools with the og alphas.
Spool diameter is a moot point, since the spool is narrower than the og Alphas spool, as well.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:30 am

How does it cast vs the Alphas 70 CT SV?

And does it palm significantly smaller than the new Zillion SV TW? I noticed they are the same weight.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:47 pm

reason162 wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:30 am
How does it cast vs the Alphas 70 CT SV?

And does it palm significantly smaller than the new Zillion SV TW? I noticed they are the same weight.
I'll have an answer for you in a few weeks or so. I have one of each and have been really curious myself.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:07 pm

reason162 wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:30 am

The Alphas sits much lower wich feels way better to me.