Daiwa casting distance

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Daiwa casting distance

Post by zelmo » Tue May 03, 2022 5:13 am

I have been using a 20 ALPHAS AIR TW to throw a 4" kut tail worm on a 1/8 oz spyder head. I was out recently and had a small plastic on a 1/8 oz football head and seemed to be throwing it a good bit farther with a Steez CT SV 700HL on a very similar rod.

For a test I put a kut tail and spyder head on the CT rig and compared the distances over several casts. The CT wasn't going as far as when I had the smaller plastic on (I chalk that up to aerodynamics) but it was still going about 10' farther than the Alphas Air.

Did I just figure out that the "AIR" designation is really only an advantage if you are throwing really light lures?

Edit: I went back and looked at my notes. The kut tail with 1/8 oz comes in at around 6 grams. The small plastic with the 1/8 oz head comes in at a little more than 7 grams which also explains the extra distance.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Daiwa casting distance

Post by jvelth74 » Tue May 03, 2022 7:05 am

Air reel benefits smaller starting inertia in sub 3 g. It's not created for casting distance. ct Reels spool starts Ok over 5 grams and if it starts, heavier spool doesn't limit casting distance. When talking casting distance, 28 mm Air reel benefits small spool of it only in case of light lures and thin line. But because Air spool starts very easily, Air reel is also easier to cast ~5 grams.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue May 03, 2022 10:12 am

Worst case scenario you can change the spool on the air to a Ray's Long Cast 28mm spool. These are heavier Air Brake spools with stiff springs. I have the Tatula 150 version and it bombs 3/8 oz but it a 34mm extra wide spool. I bet the 28mm narrow spool one does pretty good with 1/4 oz total weight. Worth a shot for the $50 they go for. These 28 mm ones also come in both an Air Brake and fixed inductor type. If you whip your rod and throw baits out there I would lean toward the Air Brake one. If you palm the reel while casting and lob cast a lot then the fixed inductor is probably better.

By whipping the rod I mean casting like in this David Fritts video.
https://www.wired2fish.com/fishing-vide ... r-cranking

zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by zelmo » Tue May 03, 2022 12:25 pm

I don't need to change spools. I just need to make sure I have my rigs set up correctly. I was using the Alphas Air for the kut tail and spyder head because I thought it would match up well. I probably throw that bait more than any other so I am moving it to the CT rig. I didn't realize the CT would handle it so well. I'll just put something else light on the Alphas Air. I have a bunch of baits that come in at 4 to 5 grams with the head. Just a balancing act between the various rigs that I have.

The worst thing that happened here is that I am now wanting another CT.

zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by zelmo » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:32 am

I haven’t bought another Steez CT yet as I have been shifting things around to try to get a handle on the best setup for the kut tail. It turns out that the CT wasn’t giving me any more distance than the Alphas Air, Steez Air, or Aldebaran BFS that I tried on several 2 power (M) rods.

I then tried that bait with all of those reels except the CT on a 1 power (ML) rod. The Alphas Air and the Aldebaran BFS got roughly the same distance. Surprisingly the Steez Air blew past the others by about 20’. That means distance went from 95’ to 115’ which I consider significant.

That has me thinking about getting another Steez Air and ML rod. It looks like inventory is drying up on the Steez Air and TW has had them on clearance. Any rumors on what the replacement will be?