Zillion SV spool swap

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Zillion SV spool swap

Post by 1nutinthewater » Thu May 19, 2022 7:24 pm

Absolutely love this reel for steelhead but it does not get the distance I want using 1/4 oz spoons for trout.
Factory spool loaded with 8# Fireline Ultra 8 good for about 30 yd cast. Spool has play dial on 6-blows up on 4.
Any advice on putting in a shallow spool for better distance?
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Zillion SV spool swap

Post by LowRange » Thu May 19, 2022 8:43 pm

Ray's Studio spool with light braid. My current 1/4 oz distance champs are a Ray's Studio inductor swapped Alphas SV and a Engetsu 100. I like the Ray's Alphas SV with 10# flouro and the Engetsu with 20# braid. Both have nearly double the capacity of a 34mm Ray's Studio spool and can be emptied of 75% of their line with a 4 1/4 Stick-O with no wind. The 36mm Ray's spool for the TD Zillion are the best I have found. They have the same braking profile s the other Ray's but a slightly stiffer spring and a bit deeper. Unfortunately these only fit old TD Zillions or Steez A HLC.

One of these with 10-15# braid would be a good option. Then sell your stock spool to me :big grin:
US $48.99 51%OFF | DIY Microcast Spool DAIWA 2021 Zillion SV 2021 Steez LTD STEEZ SV SS SV TD-Z T3 MX RYOGA 1016 ZILLION SV TW 1016 FISHING REEL
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNgvki6
I would get the non ported for extra strength.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri May 20, 2022 3:56 am

LowRange wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 8:43 pm
Ray's Studio spool with light braid. My current 1/4 oz distance champs are a Ray's Studio inductor swapped Alphas SV and a Engetsu 100. I like the Ray's Alphas SV with 10# flouro and the Engetsu with 20# braid. Both have nearly double the capacity of a 34mm Ray's Studio spool and can be emptied of 75% of their line with a 4 1/4 Stick-O with no wind. The 36mm Ray's spool for the TD Zillion are the best I have found. They have the same braking profile s the other Ray's but a slightly stiffer spring and a bit deeper. Unfortunately these only fit old TD Zillions or Steez A HLC.

One of these with 10-15# braid would be a good option. Then sell your stock spool to me :big grin:
US $48.99 51%OFF | DIY Microcast Spool DAIWA 2021 Zillion SV 2021 Steez LTD STEEZ SV SS SV TD-Z T3 MX RYOGA 1016 ZILLION SV TW 1016 FISHING REEL
I wasn't aware of which spools you were all talking about until going to that link. This is what I use for BFS duty in a Zillion SVTW. I use 8lb Sufix 832 (about as thick as other brands 10lb or even 15lb) and it does well. I did recently have to cut about 30 yards off, was dug into itself BAD about 40 yards deep in the spool. Now I only run about 55-60 yards total of that line and it fishes about the same. I fish this on a 6'3"UL Proflex 2, using Decoy 3.5 gram heads and it chunks pretty good. I agree that it could be a great distance caster, if I ever get a true BFS reel, I would love to run 8-10lb fluorocarbon on this spool and use it for shaky heads/finesse on a ML rod.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri May 20, 2022 4:26 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 3:56 am
LowRange wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 8:43 pm

I wasn't aware of which spools you were all talking about until going to that link. This is what I use for BFS duty in a Zillion SVTW. I use 8lb Sufix 832 (about as thick as other brands 10lb or even 15lb) and it does well. I did recently have to cut about 30 yards off, was dug into itself BAD about 40 yards deep in the spool. Now I only run about 55-60 yards total of that line and it fishes about the same. I fish this on a 6'3"UL Proflex 2, using Decoy 3.5 gram heads and it chunks pretty good. I agree that it could be a great distance caster, if I ever get a true BFS reel, I would love to run 8-10lb fluorocarbon on this spool and use it for shaky heads/finesse on a ML rod.
I was rambling about Ray's spools and which ones are the best at casting 1/4-3/8 oz (TD Zillon Ray's) and which of my non Ray's spools are the best at that 1/4 oz total weight. Really the Ray's air brake thin inductor spools in all platforms are just good distance casting 1/4 oz bait spools.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Fri May 20, 2022 6:52 pm

Thanks! I will order one and give it a test drive.
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish