Is the new Zillion the best reel made in a decade?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.

Is the new zillion (any versions) the best reel made in the last 10 years?

Yes
54%
No
46%

Total votes: 52

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Is the new Zillion the best reel made in a decade?

Post by SSS » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:44 pm

I personally feel like this is the best baitcaster from any reel manufacturer in the last ten plus years. Its generic paint color is the only negative, and a reel looking bland is the industry standard, so i can't even criticize it for that.

What's your opinion? Do you like the new Zillion over any other reels released in a long while, or are the likes of the 2020 Met MGL, Steez TW, Conquest, etc take your pick?

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Is the new Zillion the best reel made in a decade?

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:06 pm

To me (price being irrelevant), the Steel SV TWS is the best. It casts a wide range of lures, casts far, can skip, has a decent line capacity and is the smoothest (lasting) reel I have ever fished. And I have fished with basically any high end reel that has been released in the last 6-7 years.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:17 am

I'd say yes. I could replace all of my reels with the new Zillion, in the 7.1 gear at that. Would work with 8lb fluorocarbon and 20lb fluoro or 50lb braid. The reason I answered "yes" to this poll is what reel is better? I had a Steez A (same dimensions as the SVTW Steez) but for me the Zillion palms better. Also if you ARE considering price, you could get 2 JDM Zillion 1000s for the price of one US Steez right now.

I think this question comes down to what reel is better than the new Zillion. If it isn't the best, it's definitely up there, top 2 or 3 in last 10 years. I have been recently disappointed with the plastic cover feeling loose and cheap, but that's a small issue. As long as reliability holds, the new Alphas should be mentioned as a competitor, just not as versatile for heavy stuff. Even though I don't own one, the Metanium 2020 would be a competitor. Just has an unreal $450 domestic price now.

Back to the Zillion, offering a 34mm spool with a ton of interchangeability, clicking drag, clean brake adjustment, fair price, aluminum construction w/ good ergonomics, VERY smooth gears, 90mm stock handle, decent knobs, etc. make this a very hard reel to beat. I understand again there might be more expensive options that best it (I personally could only use my Conquest and never touch another reel), but there aren't many and the ones that do are MUCH higher in cost.

Kimbro1014
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kimbro1014 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:25 am

My vote is yes but I’m a bit ignorant to offerings outside of Daiwa. I’ve played with all the new Shimanos in store and haven’t felt compelled to pick one up. Before moving to Okinawa in October I picked up my first 2021 Zillion. Since October I’ve picked up six more. All I need to get my hands on is a 5:1 and I think I’m done for now…they’re incredibly smooth and fit how I palm a reel perfectly. I hope they stick around for several years!

fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishonsc » Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:15 pm

I like the Daiwa steez sv tw and the steez A. They just palm better to me. Plus I like the brake dial being on the side of the palm plate.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:24 am

I voted yes. I absolutely love the way they cast, palm, and the smooth retrieve. The only negative is the bland paint color.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:06 pm

njbasscat wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:24 am
I voted yes. I absolutely love the way they cast, palm, and the smooth retrieve. The only negative is the bland paint color.
That plastic engine cover is also disgusting :doh: Looks great on the HD version, but its too bad that the standard zillion doesn't have a metal engine cover.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:54 pm

I don’t vote but Alphas SV TW become my favorite more and more. I give up on Shimano after own and really use both Zillion and Alphas. The reason I don’t wanna vote because I got left hand Zillion. I’m right handed and don’t have such problem with SS SV. BTW I’m gonna own the third Alphas soon (right hand) and will put it to the test even more for medium heavy stuff with braid like 3/8-1/2 jig and frog. I also plan to add 800S and might get rid the rest of my Shimano.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:10 am

I voted no. Great reel especially for the price. But so many great reels out there - Steez sv tw, morethan sv tw, metaniums, conquets, different dc reels

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:50 am

Great design. Hasn't really been out long enough to know how well they are made. So far so good though.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:33 am

freelancer27 wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:06 pm
To me (price being irrelevant), the Steel SV TWS is the best. It casts a wide range of lures, casts far, can skip, has a decent line capacity and is the smoothest (lasting) reel I have ever fished. And I have fished with basically any high end reel that has been released in the last 6-7 years.
This, plus the Steez SV TW (Original) is quite a bit more versatile imo.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:00 am

The only thing I would change on the new Zillion SV1000 would be the paint scheme. A matte black or any black would be better, like the HD version has. Just tired of silver. I don't mind the black plastic handle nut cap, but I do think the flat metal lock plates of the Steez SVTW or CTSV look better. I had to change to a black one of those for my Alphas SVTW, the plastic cover wouldn't fit a standard 90mm Daiwa handle.

FishNrace
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Location: Canada - Fishing my life away any chance i get.....

Post by FishNrace » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:38 pm

I love the newer Sv Boost spools on these zillions, doesn't overbrake like the previous Sv spools, imo. Brass gear has held up well on my yearly reel service. I enjoy the clicker drag when fish is peeling line too. Just a joy to palm/fish. Hopefully the paint holds up..... And it casts way better than my 20 Metaniums too.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:25 pm

the reel test wouldn't like this thread one bit :lol:

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:04 am

FishNrace wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:38 pm
I love the newer Sv Boost spools on these zillions, doesn't overbrake like the previous Sv spools, imo.
I've delegated a prev gen Zillion SV TW 1016 to saltwater duty this year - and the SV Boost spool from the new zillion drops right in.

The distance on 3/8 - 5/8oz total payloads is night and day when you're bombing a cast - easily 25% more on the boost spool with less effort.