Is the OG Zillion dead ?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Is the OG Zillion dead ?

Post by dragon1 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:13 am

Just being a responsible and pre-emptive TT member...I would be glad to get on the Early Bird list for "dead prices" on especially RH and even some LH on the limited OG Zillion models. 8-)
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:20 am

It's basically Mad Max of old Daiwas. I ordered two righty 7.2 Alphas gear sets recently just to hoard parts for my Alphas. I'll have to do the same for my Zillions.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:34 am

LowRange wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:20 am
It's basically Mad Max of old Daiwas. I ordered two righty 7.2 Alphas gear sets recently just to hoard parts for my Alphas. I'll have to do the same for my Zillions.
Yeppers...I get it and don't blame you one bit. The only reason I sold the PE Special is becuase I didn't want to remove the bronze C6191 6.3 gears from it and replace with a standard 7.1/7.3/7.9. I "replaced" it with a very clean Type R 7.3 that has a few upgrades.

I still would like to pick up a couple of Megabass IP's the 68 and 79 in RH...I had a near mint IP68 with box and papers with ZPI spool bearing upgrade a couple of years ago, but it was a LH and I just couldn't train myself to fish with my "dirty hand" all day, lol...so I sold it for a loss.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:14 am

dragon1 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:34 am
LowRange wrote:
Yeppers...I get it and don't blame you one bit. The only reason I sold the PE Special is becuase I didn't want to remove the bronze C6191 6.3 gears from it and replace with a standard 7.1/7.3/7.9. I "replaced" it with a very clean Type R 7.3 that has a few upgrades.

I still would like to pick up a couple of Megabass IP's the 68 and 79 in RH...I had a near mint IP68 with box and papers with ZPI spool bearing upgrade a couple of years ago, but it was a LH and I just couldn't train myself to fish with my "dirty hand" all day, lol...so I sold it for a loss.

Things too high to take a loss nowadays.
I have my ip68 on my power versatile and it just a match. My IP79 is on my x7 extreme mission and I put my j Dream on my green 894 that maybe gone soon
Two legends extreme one host OG zillion with hlc spool and the other Ize PE spool
I’ll take a picture of my OG click
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:40 pm

goldrod wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:14 am
dragon1 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:34 am
LowRange wrote:

Things too high to take a loss nowadays.
I have my ip68 on my power versatile and it just a match. My IP79 is on my x7 extreme mission and I put my j Dream on my green 894 that maybe gone soon
Two legends extreme one host OG zillion with hlc spool and the other Ize PE spool
I’ll take a picture of my OG click
For sure Bro on the cray-cray prices these days on some OGs. Those combos you have are beautifully matched up, OG Zillions are awesome on heavier power rods and longer rods.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:55 pm

All older reels are just for nastagia IMO. Sure you can make them 'resto mods' with luxuries of today....just like they do with old cars, but I feel like just about every aspect of the newer models are superior. I owned several OG Zillions back in the day, and other than being a durable reel, they didn't impress me much. I sold all 6 of my td-z's on here in '16 due to realizing they weren't the best around anymore....they were just my first elite reels I owned.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:01 pm

There is distinct lack of Zillion posting in this thread. My 3.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:31 pm

KP Duty wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:55 pm
All older reels are just for nastagia IMO. Sure you can make them 'resto mods' with luxuries of today....just like they do with old cars, but I feel like just about every aspect of the newer models are superior. I owned several OG Zillions back in the day, and other than being a durable reel, they didn't impress me much. I sold all 6 of my td-z's on here in '16 due to realizing they weren't the best around anymore....they were just my first elite reels I owned.
My first thought was No Country For Old Men, that movie...I really like that movie
But i can definitly see your perspective when I read your comment.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:03 pm

If my choice is between a tatula and an OG zillion for the same money, give me the og zillion all day long.

RustyHook
Angler
Angler

Post by RustyHook » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:09 pm

What year did the frame size change from the og to the newer? The 50th was what 08?

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:03 am

goldrod wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:31 pm
KP Duty wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:55 pm
My first thought was No Country For Old Men, that movie...I really like that movie
But i can definitly see your perspective when I read your comment.
Well, I posted this the other day, and then did some yard work over the weekend with the topic on my mind. I started contradicting myself. In my mind, the OG Scorpion 1000's I picked up from Brooklyn Bill in 2002 were the best casting reels I've ever owned. There was just something special about them. Also, if you have a well trained thumb, you could argue the TD-Z was a superior performer than any current daiwa.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:21 am

RustyHook wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:09 pm
What year did the frame size change from the og to the newer? The 50th was what 08?
2015 i think when they made the 1st tatzillion and then a year later they made another one using a narrow frame version. The OG was still around for a while as an SV103 during this time.
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwazilliontws.html

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:19 pm

Still the guy I love..
Attachments
zilo1.jpeg
zilo1.jpeg (81.07 KiB) Viewed 1448 times
zilow2.jpeg
zilow2.jpeg (82.45 KiB) Viewed 1448 times