Casting reel for light duty SmallMouth fishing

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Casting reel for light duty SmallMouth fishing

Post by reason162 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:13 pm

d510addict wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:07 pm
You guys know more about ultra specialized baitcasters than I know about fishing.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:24 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:44 pm
Oh, this is right up my alley :big grin:. First off, if you are going with an X Ray, grab the SJ732. It's perfect for your needs. As for the reel, you don't need a true BFS casting reel, unless you prefer the limited line capacity. I would opt for the Alphas CT SV myself. It's going to handle those weights better than the Alphas SV TW. A few other solid options, depending on your budget. All of these reels will provide you with enough line capacity in case you run into a large and lively smallie - without any unnecessary extra line.

Daiwa SV Light Limited
Original Alphas Air

Better yet -
Any T3 platform with either the 1012SV spool, or the Zpi Nrc001-m spool. If you want something even nicer, grab the original Steez SV TW, and use one of the same two spools I just mentioned. When using these light baits, rod and reel are equally important. Personally, I would avoid the Tatula. Can't help with any Shimano offerings.

That SV light limited is a great reel and a regret I have for selling
May look for another
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:51 am

d510addict wrote:
What would be the best bet, under 230 and available or soon to be available? Just the 800s? You guys know more about ultra specialized baitcasters than I know about fishing.
I river fish for smallmouth in Northeast AR, much with identical baits that you do. The Alphas 800 Shallow will be a great fit. Smoother than the old Aldebaran, better at finesse than a Metanium, and much cheaper than both. I rushed and bought the regular Alphas SVTW, with the deeper spool, and it casts a 1/8oz dropshot with small plastic fine, using 12lb Tatsu at that. I have an SV105 loaded with 7lb fluorocarbon and it casts the lures you mentioned great. This makes me sure that the current Alphas SVTW or shallow version would handle those lures. If you couldn't wait for the shallow version or wanted a bit more versatility, you could get the regular Alphas SVTW and put about 1/2 braid backing.

I have actually been considering a Millionaire CT SV instead of the Alphas SVTW shallow just because I want something weird and different. I wondered myself about a true BFS reel, but worry about capacity after I recently got spooled at a local pond using a DIY Ray's BFS spool.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:39 pm

d510addict wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:01 pm
Where might I look at the CT SV?
Looking around, I can't find them at any of my usual spots. All out of stock. Ichibantackle has a few slightly used for less than 200 bucks. Must be a lot of people who like them as much as I do. They really aren't that expensive, except ebay of course. Glad I picked mine up when I did. I think retail was like 240ish.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:05 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:39 pm
d510addict wrote:
Looking around, I can't find them at any of my usual spots. All out of stock. Ichibantackle has a few slightly used for less than 200 bucks. Must be a lot of people who like them as much as I do. They really aren't that expensive, except ebay of course. Glad I picked mine up when I did. I think retail was like 240ish.
I sold a nice one for $175 a couple months back.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:57 pm

d510addict wrote:
What would be the best bet, under 230 and available or soon to be available? Just the 800s? You guys know more about ultra specialized baitcasters than I know about fishing.
I'm in the same boat. These guys know more about reels than I will ever know. For 1/8 oz. and over, less than $230 and available immediately, I'd look for a used Pixy. However, now and then you will see one listed for a lot more than what they cost new. Maybe they can find a sucker willing to pay the price, but it won't ever be me. :lol:

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:43 am

I am in the same boat as the thread starter, I wonder if I should try a Millionaire CT SV, Alphas SVTW shallow, or just get another Conquest and use my current Alphas for finesse. It would be an easier choice if I knew they would sell the 800S spool separately. I have also read that the Millionaire CT's braking is slightly different than that of the Alphas CT and Steez CT, even though they all have a 30mm spool.

What gets me the most is an Alphas can be had for around $185, is a Millionaire really worth $315 or more? Also hoping they sell the shallow boost 1016 spool where I can pick up one of those too.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:22 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:43 am
I am in the same boat as the thread starter, I wonder if I should try a Millionaire CT SV, Alphas SVTW shallow, or just get another Conquest and use my current Alphas for finesse. It would be an easier choice if I knew they would sell the 800S spool separately. I have also read that the Millionaire CT's braking is slightly different than that of the Alphas CT and Steez CT, even though they all have a 30mm spool.

What gets me the most is an Alphas can be had for around $185, is a Millionaire really worth $315 or more? Also hoping they sell the shallow boost 1016 spool where I can pick up one of those too.
That answer can only come from you. Try both sale what you don’t like
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:31 am

goldrod wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:22 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:43 am

That answer can only come from you. Try both sale what you don’t like
I really don't know about the Alphas SVTW Shallow version. The more I use the current original Alphas SVTW, the more I am tempted to just get another one of them. I filled it with about 1/3 backing and 2/3 Seaguar R18 LTD (JDM Tatsu) in 12lb. When I cast a 3" Easy Shiner with a 3/16oz head it can almost reach the backing. I just don't know how much one will gain from buying the very shallow spool. If it doesn't weigh significantly less than the deep spool then there is no reason. I would have to fill the shallow with all fluorocarbon to make sure I don't cast a connection not, and I doubt there is much more weight added from a short bit of braid backing (assuming the shallow spool isn't much lighter). Have almost been considering the Metanium Shallow edition if it weren't for the aluminum gears.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:07 am

d510addict wrote:
d510addict wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:03 pm
...seems out or my budget
It's nice reel - I have one. It's not made anymore. Maybe buy pre-owned:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/394120330282?h ... BM5Ij-srNg

d510addict
Angler
Angler

Post by d510addict » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:00 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:07 am
d510addict wrote:
d510addict wrote:
What makes it a CT reel? I'm still confused with the different designations that Daiwa uses

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:55 pm

d510addict wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:00 am
What makes it a CT reel? I'm still confused with the different designations that Daiwa uses
No clue, as the Alphas CT SV is nearly the same (frame, side plates) as all of the previous Alphas models aside from the 150, none of which carried the CT nomenclature. The Japanese made Alphas variants are all pretty compact. It could just be marketing. The Millionaire CT SV isn't much different from the 100 sized Millionaires either, just faster gears and a smaller spool.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:35 pm

tincanary wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:55 pm
d510addict wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:00 am
No clue, as the Alphas CT SV is nearly the same (frame, side plates) as all of the previous Alphas models aside from the 150, none of which carried the CT nomenclature. The Japanese made Alphas variants are all pretty compact. It could just be marketing. The Millionaire CT SV isn't much different from the 100 sized Millionaires either, just faster gears and a smaller spool.
Correct, outer dimensions of the Alphas CT and Miilonaire CT are identical. The smaller, narrower 30mm spool is what made it "CT". I'm a Daiwa guy and still confused with all the different designations in the last 5-7 years!
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:06 am

Yep, ct Alphas is old and sturdy design and it's Made in Japan. Small spool makes it capable for light fishing. Some says that ct Steez is ultimate bass baitcaster for bass (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYHnhhPIvKg). ct Alphas is a little heavier and sturdier than Steez but sharing same spool.

d510addict
Angler
Angler

Post by d510addict » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:34 pm

jvelth74 wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:07 am
d510addict wrote:
d510addict wrote:
If I could get a lefty at this price, I would consider it.