19 Stradic FL 20 Vanford F parts interchangeability ?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
RustyHook
Angler
Angler

19 Stradic FL 20 Vanford F parts interchangeability ?

Post by RustyHook » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:37 pm

Sort of a weird question but it seems there's quite a bit of parts cross referencing between these two models. Sort of Legos like.

I was wondering for those that may have both in the same size or have the knowledge. Does the rotor assemblies interchange? The schematics are most much help as the Vanford's rotor is MGL which is made of their CF CI4+ material and the Stradic is alum. I am speaking of swapping the entire assembly bail and all.

Reason I ask is I may have a line on some parted out Vanfords from a shop. Thought it would be cool if the lighter MGL Vanford rotor could be swapped on my Stradics FLs. I normally at most use to change out handles on spinning reels. But these Stradics are well enough built with great features already and so many parts interchange with other series I have found myself enjoying tinkering with them. I have swapped spools to get more ideal capacity and gain a top bearing support vs a single bottom bushing. Swapped all the bushings for bearings . Swapped handle for a counter balanced and a dual handle. Increased handle arm length on one to get slower retrieve speed.

Now wondering if the mgl rotor assembly from the Vanguard will fit. Tge black will actually fit my color scheme black handles and grips black stripes on the spool. Or it's gonna look fully we will see lol

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 19 Stradic FL 20 Vanford F parts interchangeability ?

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:17 am

RustyHook wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:37 pm
Sort of a weird question but it seems there's quite a bit of parts cross referencing between these two models. Sort of Legos like.

I was wondering for those that may have both in the same size or have the knowledge. Does the rotor assemblies interchange? The schematics are most much help as the Vanford's rotor is MGL which is made of their CF CI4+ material and the Stradic is alum. I am speaking of swapping the entire assembly bail and all.

Reason I ask is I may have a line on some parted out Vanfords from a shop. Thought it would be cool if the lighter MGL Vanford rotor could be swapped on my Stradics FLs. I normally at most use to change out handles on spinning reels. But these Stradics are well enough built with great features already and so many parts interchange with other series I have found myself enjoying tinkering with them. I have swapped spools to get more ideal capacity and gain a top bearing support vs a single bottom bushing. Swapped all the bushings for bearings . Swapped handle for a counter balanced and a dual handle. Increased handle arm length on one to get slower retrieve speed.

Now wondering if the mgl rotor assembly from the Vanguard will fit. Tge black will actually fit my color scheme black handles and grips black stripes on the spool. Or it's gonna look fully we will see lol
I figure most interchange, just not sure the ones that don't. I like what you said about the handle length, that is why I don't mind a higher ratio on a spinning reel, they don't turn quite as fast as a 90mm baitcasting reel (or any casting reel style handle), so 35" IPT seems like less. I think this is why the tiny 1000 size spinners with slow ratios have 40mm handles, they turn over easier and faster so it seems to make up for the super low gear ratio. Technical IPT is not affected though, just takes longer to turn a 55mm spinning handle.

RustyHook
Angler
Angler

Re: 19 Stradic FL 20 Vanford F parts interchangeability ?

Post by RustyHook » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:25 am

Yes that is why I like changing handle length as it changes the the circumference of the circle the handle covers. The IPT as you stated does not change but the change in handle length changes the distance of the arc and gives a +/- change in leverage as well. Just an easy way to effect retrieval rate/ speed or distance of the handle travel. Takes what, 5-10 seconds to swap handles.

I am gonna buy some of these used vanford parts and see if that mgl rotor-bail assembly fits. I think that will be the most I can do to the Stradic at that point. Here I thought fishing would be a lower cost hobby then hunting and 3 gun tLR competition lol.