Which 34mm spool?(Daiwa)

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Which 34mm spool?(Daiwa)

Post by Freddie » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:25 pm

For all you spool aficionados…I’m wondering for what applications is my newly acquired NRC001PG best suited. I suppose I should just use it and find out but I was looking for some input. It’s a fixed inductor so it doesn’t lend itself to long, hard casts…and despite being very light it is a deep spool so it doesn’t lend itself to BFS applications.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Which 34mm spool?(Daiwa)

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:26 pm

Freddie wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:25 pm
For all you spool aficionados…I’m wondering for what applications is my newly acquired NRC001PG best suited. I suppose I should just use it and find out but I was looking for some input. It’s a fixed inductor so it doesn’t lend itself to long, hard casts…and despite being very light it is a deep spool so it doesn’t lend itself to BFS applications.
You might be surprised. The fixed inductor is very consistent, and both the M and PG can prod some lengthly casts. Both are extremely versatile imo. The PG won't get you into true bfs territory, but it can still perform relatively light on the proper rod. The M is an excellent light weight spool. These are my favorite spools in the Steez SV TW and T3. I prefer my KTF Neo 34mm in my TDZs, as it's not quite as fast. Get out and play with it.

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:38 pm

Thanks! I don’t have the Steez SV TW(this might sound funny but if it had a drag clicker I probably would own it) but I do have a ‘21 Zillion and ‘19 Morethan and in both the M performs amazingly for what I use it for which is 3-9 gram lures w/ braid to leader. I haven’t spent enough time with the PG yet to really form an opinion yet.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:56 pm

12-14lb test the sky is the limit but it really depends on the rod.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jnkoepp » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:02 am

Very versatile spool. Jack of all trades

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:31 pm

I compared it today in my '19 Morethan PE vs the stock MagZ spool. I was throwing a 3/8 oz Dark Sleeper on a 7' MH rod. It wasn't quite a fair comparison because I had straight 15# FC on the PG and 30# braid+17# FC leader on the Morethan spool. I do think the stock Morethan spool edged out the PG in distance with really hard casts but not by much. For a fair comparison I really need to spool up with the same line and considering that FC is the worst line to cast with I was fairly pleased with the distance I was getting with just a 3/8" bait. I'll probably leave it spooled with 15" FC as an all around T-rig, Dark Sleeper, and jig setup with the straight FC. I'm a braid to leader type of guy so this gives me a chance to experiment with straight FC for a change to see how I like it.

The most noticeable thing that I like about it is that it is a set it and forget it spool. As mentioned earlier, that fixed inductor and light weight make it super consistent and forgiving. Get it set to the minimum brake setting with bomb casting(where the line tries to fluff just a touch at the very beginning of the cast) and you are good to go ALL day...including all manner of pitching, flipping, roll casting, and long casting...there is no need to touch the brake dial again(excepting perhaps drastic bait changes and high winds...but even then the incredible low weight of the spool makes it quite forgiving). Contrast this with the MagZ Morethan spool which when it's set right for bomb casting is very good but then the brakes need to be adjusted for pitching as the slow spool speed doesn't allow the rotor to extend correctly.

PG=very light spool but static mag brakes VS Morethan MagZ=heavier spool but dynamic mag brakes

Different tools for different applications I suppose...

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:36 pm

I earlier tried casting around with the PG spooled with mono and discovered that it could cast a 1/8 oz jig+paddletail quite effectively.

I get the impression that from around roughly 3/8 oz and down the PG offers more advantages and from roughly 3/8 oz and up the Morethan offers some advantages. Again, a bit of a generality as it depends on the casting style and bait aerodynamics.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:30 am

I wonder if they will release or sell the new shallow boost spool from the limited Steez SV. Already hoping the do for the 32mm Alphas also.

I have seen that the G1 1012 SV spools have come back in stock in a few places too.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:54 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:30 am
I wonder if they will release or sell the new shallow boost spool from the limited Steez SV. Already hoping the do for the 32mm Alphas also.

I have seen that the G1 1012 SV spools have come back in stock in a few places too.
Me too 😁. The 1012SV is also one of my favorites. Almost as good as the M, but not as consistent and requires additional adjustment depending on circumstances.