Seems I've reach an impasse with reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Seems I've reach an impasse with reels

Post by goldrod » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:55 pm

after having been on the fence for many years and not buying any of the Twing variants, i broke down and got me a steez a , liked it enough and got another steez a and this one had surgery by none else but one of the good doctors , Mr. Shields. Im not sure of the exact order as Im thinking about it but I got the zillion HD TW and than Im certain my most recent one was the Steez A HLC and i have a morethan on the way. Someone had got to go or I have to ultilize each to the upmost of its potential and with that said I dont think Im doing the HLC reel any justice at all. Have you ever been at such an impasse with your tackle and your thoughts?
I try to be very strategic in what Im buying and why.

What job does your steez HLC do? whats the setup and do you regret that purchase ?
I dont necessarily regret it but not having one wouldn't bother me especially after having had it for a while. Im jus not sure IM maximizing this reel. I brought it beacuse to me the spool being able to be used in an OG zillion or iP or TDZ 100M tickled my fancy enough and i though it was and would be a special reel. Anytime a reel gives me spool options Im good.
Still if you must know my breakdown its like this

Zillion HD TWS on Valkyrie punching stick
Steez A , lightly modded with PE spool sits on XBD frog rod
Steez A highly modded with a PG spool living on custom point blank Rod
steez A HLC on valkyries heavy
I dont really have a planned plan for the morethan...
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Seems I've reach an impasse with reels

Post by LowRange » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:13 am

I would put the Steez HLC on the XBD frog rod or at least have it do a shootout with the Steez A for rights to be on that rod.

If they were my reels I would move the HD to the H Valkaryie, compare the Steez A and Steez HLC on the frog rod and move the loser to the punching stick or get yet another new reel for the punching stick that can also handle big bait use since that stick can do both.
Last edited by LowRange on Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jnkoepp » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:15 am

The HLC is perfect for C rigs. C rig, football jig, and frogs are about the only good choices for it imo.

I use my morethan with a ZPI PG spool on a otomat for topwater. Love that setup. That reel pretty much HAS to go on a US Destroyer

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:53 am

Maybe move one of your Z2020s to the XXH Valkaryie and use the shallow spool for punching with braid and the stock deep spool with 20# BG or something for big baits. Throw wakes around mats then swap spools and collapse the handle for punching. Or just config it prior to each outing as either a punching or big bait rig.

Move a Steez A to whatever punching stick the Z2020 was on (black widow?)

Steez HLC with 65# braid on the XBD for frogs. The extra bit of line cap helps. You should be spool a 34mm reel of 65# braid with frogs over 5/8 oz on a high trajectory bomb cast. People do it all the time with Tatulas. Daiwas hold less "65# braid" than what they claim. This is if you do bomb casts over big mats with frogs. If you do more close in work then the HLC may not be as much of an advantage and the Zillion HD might be better. HLC are for chucking good casting things far away on braid. They are too finicky for close in work and soft casting.

I've heard the braking profile on the HD is kind of strong and some of the casting in the Daiwa video sort of backs this up. I don't have this reel but want one. I have LIN10 Back Jungle with an odd spool. It has a stiff spring and a short fat inductor. It never bombed frogs as well as my HLC in direct comparisons so it had been sitting for a while until I moved the LIN10 to a MH Valkaryie with fouro and wanted that extra braking to help tame spinnerbaits and flouro. Turns out that "bad" spool is perfection and is one of my favorites. It has enough braking power to tame heavier baits and skip full spool of flouro but I can still dial it down and send a 3/8 oz bladed jig with even light trailer further than I want to.

The point is that sometimes you just need to sit on spool for a bit until you find that right use for it. For the Steez HLC based on my experiences with the old Zillion HLC spool, I would think of it as a braid and long casting of compact baits use spool. I do not like flouro with speedy spools that are free at the end of the cast. I'm having that issue with my IP68 spool and 16# sniper. I have to run a bit of tension to slow it at the end or I get fluff at the end of the cast with big worms flopping in the air. I couldn't imging trying to cast that bait with that line of my HLC.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:07 am

Thanks for all the great advice gentlemen.
I put the hlc on my 894 rod and I’ll see how that goes or I’ll get rid of both.

Took the JDream and but it on my BC II (beautiful)

I do love the Z but it’s too much for me on the punching Valkyrie
That’s what I really love about how edge rods did that recessed reel seat
It makes a large frame reel seem small.
Unfortunately
Have to buy two new rims for this boat trailer and hopefully one tire
Just crazy But thank God there was no loss of life and all is well and replaceable.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:59 am

I just thought this was a lovely sight.. the colors just go well with one another
Attachments
fuo4.jpeg
fuo4.jpeg (97.19 KiB) Viewed 3168 times
fou2.jpeg
fou2.jpeg (101.65 KiB) Viewed 3168 times
fuo1.jpeg
fuo1.jpeg (82.64 KiB) Viewed 3168 times
fou3.jpeg
fou3.jpeg (103.41 KiB) Viewed 3168 times

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:23 pm

goldrod wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:07 am
Thanks for all the great advice gentlemen.
I put the hlc on my 894 rod and I’ll see how that goes or I’ll get rid of both.

Took the JDream and but it on my BC II (beautiful)

I do love the Z but it’s too much for me on the punching Valkyrie
That’s what I really love about how edge rods did that recessed reel seat
It makes a large frame reel seem small.
Unfortunately
Have to buy two new rims for this boat trailer and hopefully one tire
Just crazy But thank God there was no loss of life and all is well and replaceable.
Absolutely brother... Truth.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:00 am

goldrod wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:59 am
I just thought this was a lovely sight.. the colors just go well with one another
She is a beauty my friend! Very nice pairing!

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:29 pm

goldrod wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:55 pm
after having been on the fence for many years and not buying any of the Twing variants, i broke down and got me a steez a , liked it enough and got another steez a and this one had surgery by none else but one of the good doctors , Mr. Shields. Im not sure of the exact order as Im thinking about it but I got the zillion HD TW and than Im certain my most recent one was the Steez A HLC and i have a morethan on the way. Someone had got to go or I have to ultilize each to the upmost of its potential and with that said I dont think Im doing the HLC reel any justice at all. Have you ever been at such an impasse with your tackle and your thoughts?

What job does your steez HLC do? whats the setup and do you regret that purchase ?
I dont necessarily regret it but not having one wouldn't bother me especially after having had it for a while. Im jus not sure IM maximizing this reel. I brought it beacuse to me the spool being able to be used in an OG zillion or iP or TDZ 100M tickled my fancy enough and i though it was and would be a special reel. Anytime a reel gives me spool options Im good.

I think you need to get the new issei 36mm deep PE spool (https://issei.tv/) and tell us how it fares in that steez A HLC sitting on the heavy Valkyrie. I really see this as the only option for getting over this particular impasse

https://issei.tv/

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:30 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:00 am
goldrod wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:59 am
She is a beauty my friend! Very nice pairing!
Thanks !

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:36 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:29 pm
goldrod wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:55 pm

I think you need to get the new issei 36mm deep PE spool (https://issei.tv/) and tell us how it fares in that steez A HLC sitting on the heavy Valkyrie. I really see this as the only option for getting over this particular impasse

https://issei.tv/
I’ve been tracking that spool for some time now. I remember posting about it. It’s supposed to be released July 1 so we shall see.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:37 pm

speaking from experience
I ended up buying two rims from off of amazon and have gotten the tires mounted but now need to get them balanced and see how all that comes about.. never thought about amazon but if you are in a pinch and looking, maybe worth your time to look

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:13 pm

Some of you may disagree and some of you may not. I can only speak from my experiences and I would like to say that the Steez HLC is a great reel and its good and has some nice features but you want to know something thats special? I dropped a Z boost spool in my steez limited , the older model non tws. When I casted a sb it was just at that moment when I could not believe what I was witnessing. YOU can actually tell when the brake is stage one or two. Im casting 18lb sunline super fc sniper..

Listen to me very carefully, If I had used this spool earlier in this reel on the topgun rod, I have to say there's about a 85% chance that i would have not brought the HLC and instead bought another Z Boost spool. I am on the cusp of no control and bird nesting with an eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeffortless cast and the distance is just dumb.
Honestly I want to put one in my sv103xs but im kinda not pleased with daiwa and the ccc on that reel. I just prefer the click.
That instant feedback is just every thing for me still..

If you have a steez limited and you want to unleash the unlimited, than give it a boost you won't regret it..
This thing is like an entirely new reel. I was casting 1/2 sb and cb. With the Steez HLC , imho you need to get to the big meats to really use the reel. Yes it will hammer a 1/2 sb or cb. they do the same thing just differently. Maybe its just the steez limited isn't tws? but sure cast like its a jaws ( jet wing system. ) lol..

I am intersted to know the findings of others who've used this new spool in older platforms...
This is that one reel you want someone else to cast just so you can see the smile on their face as they release it..
heck you may even give one away.. its just that good.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:18 pm

Those old steez have super weak magnets. Same with the SS SV103/105. My 1010 and RC001 spools really wake up in those reels but others I have become unusable. How is the control on the old steez with the boost spool? Can you bomb it hard and not blow up on max dial settings?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:20 pm

You should try that spool in a TD-Z next. Those seem to cast like T3s on long cast mode.