ZILLION Silver Wolf specs

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
RustyHook
Angler
Angler

ZILLION Silver Wolf specs

Post by RustyHook » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:57 am

Was looking over the specs on Japan Tackle. I figure as its not specifically mentioned and it's meant for light line it has alum gears. It shows magseal printed on the body so we can take that as confirmation.

I thought for sure it would have the same bearing count as the Zillion SV TW and HD ver but JT has 8+1 not 10+1 listed??

Do you think that could be a misprint or is it loosing bearings somewhere maybe the level wind?

I assume it's the same handle with a single bearing each knob or could it be only bushings?

So what say you?
Last edited by RustyHook on Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: ZILLION Silver Wolf specs

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:50 am

I like it. I have one in the cart at digitaka now. Just waiting on availability of the Alphas shallow spool model before I buy. Bushings in the levelwind seems plausible, given that it's actually designed specifically for "saltwater bfs". Bearings in the levelwind won't last in salt, no matter what they are made of. I see this reel as a successor to the Morethan.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:15 pm

Zillion G already has 2 bushing in the levelwind both JDM and USDM so you aren't losing anything there. Only difference I see here is a PE spool. not sure what the TWS difference is they speak of. mabybe similar to the high speed line guide that the OG zillion had for braid. Best guess on the bearing count, being mag seal, is the knobs are knobs are now 4 bushings instead of 2 bb + 2 bushings.

RustyHook
Angler
Angler

Post by RustyHook » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:53 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:50 am
I like it. I have one in the cart at digitaka now. Just waiting on availability of the Alphas shallow spool model effort I buy. Bushings in the levelwind seems plausible, given that it's actually designed specifically for "saltwater bfs". Bearings in the levelwind won't last in salt, no matter what they are made of. I see this reel as a successor to the Morethan.

I do not see where Digitaka has the Silver Wolf listed. How do you have it in cart? That is where I plan to order from so I would like to be ready as well.

RustyHook
Angler
Angler

Post by RustyHook » Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:29 am

Never mind found it. Also Japan Tackle had the specs wrong its 10-1 bearing same as the SV and HD.

Thanks guys

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:59 am

I'd grab the standard zillion and upgrade it to 12 bearings. I got a full set of bearings from the Steez tw, and the zillion is so ridiculously smooth now i can't get over it since the beginning of the season.

RustyHook
Angler
Angler

Post by RustyHook » Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:21 pm

I am likely grabbing a few of these. From what I can tell they are all very tight smooth. I will be upgrading to the 12-1.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:03 am

I received my silverwolf last week. very nice reel. The spool is very fast and I wouldn't suggest use with mono or fluro line .
I have 20lb sufix 832 on it and was using to cast 1/4 to 3/8 lures and definitely had to use higher brake settings than i would with other SV spools. typically i would use brake settings between 3 and 5 for SV spools and 5-8 for the zillion SV boost spools. I was having to go settings between 12 and 16 with the Silverwolf PE spool.
As for the level wind it has a more aggressive angle on the worm making it a high speed level wind like the OG zillion PE.
I will be changing the gears to a brass 7.1 ratio from a zillion G 1000 even though the existing gears are super smooth 8.5 is too fast and too much resistance for what I do. The reel is only available in 8.5:1 ratio.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:58 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:03 am
I received my silverwolf last week. very nice reel. The spool is very fast and I wouldn't suggest use with mono or fluro line .
I have 20lb sufix 832 on it and was using to cast 1/4 to 3/8 lures and definitely had to use higher brake settings than i would with other SV spools. typically i would use brake settings between 3 and 5 for SV spools and 5-8 for the zillion SV boost spools. I was having to go settings between 12 and 16 with the Silverwolf PE spool.
As for the level wind it has a more aggressive angle on the worm making it a high speed level wind like the OG zillion PE.
I will be changing the gears to a brass 7.1 ratio from a zillion G 1000 even though the existing gears are super smooth 8.5 is too fast and too much resistance for what I do. The reel is only available in 8.5:1 ratio.
I wish I could get a more shallow 34mm SV Boost spool. If the spool from the Steez Limited Shallow comes out I will have to get a couple. That being said, I was hoping that this Silverwolf would work with lighter fluorocarbon. I like the Alphas and smaller shallow reels, but sometimes a more shallow bigger spool like the 1012SV works better for distance with a lighter lure. Fits our river finesse style very well.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:52 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:58 am
BARRAMANIAC wrote:
I wish I could get a more shallow 34mm SV Boost spool. If the spool from the Steez Limited Shallow comes out I will have to get a couple. That being said, I was hoping that this Silverwolf would work with lighter fluorocarbon. I like the Alphas and smaller shallow reels, but sometimes a more shallow bigger spool like the 1012SV works better for distance with a lighter lure. Fits our river finesse style very well.
I think the SLP shallow sv boost spool wont be far away. I have seen recently on social media SLP advertisements for the shallow sv boost spool.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:32 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:52 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:58 am
BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Nice, I would really have another Zillion SV1000 with that spool over a shallow Alphas. I messaged Digitaka and asked if the Alphas 800S (32mm Shallow) spool would be for sale and they said no word of that yet.

I think the SLP shallow sv boost spool wont be far away. I have seen recently on social media SLP advertisements for the shallow sv boost spool.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:58 pm

A larger diameter spool can positively affect both the rate of line coming off per rotation on a cast, and being wound in per crank. I'm in the same boat, I dig 34 mm mag-finesse spools for my type of river fishing and my preferred power techs.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:03 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:58 pm
A larger diameter spool can positively affect both the rate of line coming off per rotation on a cast, and being wound in per crank. I'm in the same boat, I dig 34 mm mag-finesse spools for my type of river fishing and my preferred power techs.
I believe also a wider spool makes a difference. less diameter loss on spool during a cast. the 32mm spools in the SV light SS and T3 air reels are great. The narrow body/spool reels feel great in hand but the spools are too narrow. I nearly bought a new alphas till I held one in store and found my thumb wont fit in the spool.
on my wish list is a SV Light/SS air type reel built on the new Zillion platform. MG body with 32mm spool. Would be great in between the Zillion and Steez line.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:18 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:03 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:58 pm
I believe also a wider spool makes a difference. less diameter loss on spool during a cast. the 32mm spools in the SV light SS and T3 air reels are great. The narrow body/spool reels feel great in hand but the spools are too narrow. I nearly bought a new alphas till I held one in store and found my thumb wont fit in the spool.
on my wish list is a SV Light/SS air type reel built on the new Zillion platform. MG body with 32mm spool. Would be great in between the Zillion and Steez line.
Damn, that would be a badass reel, might be a new "mag-finesse" model named Steellion?!?

Yes I agree here as well. This is especially true with heavier lines and lures since there will also be more line capacity. The main culprit here tends to be the tension created by a hard angle of line to line guide, which is why some of the wider spool Abus did not like braid, and especially didn't cast well if you didn't center the line guide before casting (luckily for good or bad some had non-disengaging levelwinds) . This was the design purpose of TWS, and back in the old days we mitigated by centering the line guide.

I do love the OG 36 mm Zillion/US Trail spool, but very few aftermarket options are available for less line capacity or mag-finesse.

Even more, I love the Z2020 38mm spool and if Daiwa brought back that spool dimension in their bigger and beefier reels with say a "shallower" spool option, I think it would be a killer distance casting power tech reel for covering a lot of water.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

RustyHook
Angler
Angler

Post by RustyHook » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:31 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
I have a Silver Wolf as well and like you the 8.5 is too fast for my fishing. I was already planning to pu a set of brass gears as a backup. They will definitely be 7.1. I do reg maintenance after each outing so I have no issues maintaining bearings. I ordered bearings for the worm gear and I switched to an Avail handle kit which uses 4 bearings vs 2 oem. Technically, you can achieve 14+1 bearing count. The magsealed top pinion bearing is ok and of some benefit to me as I fish inland SW with it currently paired to a VH Cyphlist HRX Pro Spec CPRC-88HH ( lot of rod for the $ just poor naming when it's so close to a VD.)

The spool while a SV boost seems to have a different profile..as stated, faster. Might be interesting to see how it would work with light fluoro. I can say the spool profile is ideal for braid pe#1.5 and under line. I have not looked closely or broken down the spool.

Will still pu another HD and G.

Daiwa hit it out of the park with this reel series. Very little not to like.