22 Zillion TW HD

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

22 Zillion TW HD

Post by Dink Whisperer » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:49 pm

Hey guys, I just received my first 22 Daiwa Zillion TW HD today. I spooled it up and tested in in the backyard. At first it was perfect, then suddenly it started clicking during the cast. At first it was one click now it's 2 clicks. One about halfway during the cast then again towards the end of the cast.
At first it was only with the brake dial set on 4 but now it does it on any setting. This is my first Daiwa in many years so I'm unfamiliar with the inner workings on them. Some people have told me this is normal inductor noise on the Z spools. Any help is appreciated.
Last edited by Dink Whisperer on Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kimbro1014
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: 22 Zillion TW HD

Post by Kimbro1014 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:05 pm

I believe what you’re describing are the brakes/inductor retracting from the side plate. Are you seeing any negative effects?

Joe

Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dink Whisperer » Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:12 am

Kimbro1014 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:05 pm
I believe what you’re describing are the brakes/inductor retracting from the side plate. Are you seeing any negative effects?

Joe
I think the spool is fluffing slightly more than before it started making that noise. Other than that nothing negative other than it's really annoying. It's it "normal" for it to be doing it? Any fixes for it? I'm just curious as to why it wasn't doing it at first? Thanks

rto
Angler
Angler

Post by rto » Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:50 am

Dink Whisperer wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:12 am
Kimbro1014 wrote:

Joe
I think the spool is fluffing slightly more than before it started making that noise. Other than that nothing negative other than it's really annoying. It's it "normal" for it to be doing it? Any fixes for it? I'm just curious as to why it wasn't doing it at first? Thanks
On mag Z all this means is you're slightly losing control of the spool during the cast and the inductor is hitting its end stop in response then returning back to the spool. Nothing's broken, so there isn't a fix other than revising your casting stroke. Are you whip casting like it's a spinning rig? If so this isn't necessary to get distance with Mag z braking. It's possible to cast with power and not whip your cast at the end of the stroke.

Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dink Whisperer » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:30 am

rto wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:50 am
Dink Whisperer wrote:
Kimbro1014 wrote:

Joe
On mag Z all this means is you're slightly losing control of the spool during the cast and the inductor is hitting its end stop in response then returning back to the spool. Nothing's broken, so there isn't a fix other than revising your casting stroke. Are you whip casting like it's a spinning rig? If so this isn't necessary to get distance with Mag z braking. It's possible to cast with power and not whip your cast at the end of the stroke.
It's definitely coming from the spool area. I've tried different casts even just really light side arm and it still does it. Even when I'm just pitching the T-rig around it will do it faster like click click back to back. If it's a long cast it will do it as I explained in the original post. I've also tried turning the brake dial up tighter with the same results. I guess as long as there's nothing wrong with it I'll get use to it. It's really annoying though.

rto
Angler
Angler

Post by rto » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:45 am

Dink Whisperer wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:30 am
rto wrote:
Dink Whisperer wrote:
Kimbro1014 wrote:

Joe

It's definitely coming from the spool area. I've tried different casts even just really light side arm and it still does it. Even when I'm just pitching the T-rig around it will do it faster like click click back to back. If it's a long cast it will do it as I explained in the original post. I've also tried turning the brake dial up tighter with the same results. I guess as long as there's nothing wrong with it I'll get use to it. It's really annoying though.
Then maybe there's an issue with the inductor or springs if it happens no matter how you cast or which setting it's on. Doesn't sound normal. Perhaps another user will chime in. Regardless, complain to the seller and send it back for an exchange. No point in being annoyed.

Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dink Whisperer » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:57 am

rto wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:45 am
Dink Whisperer wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:30 am
rto wrote:
Dink Whisperer wrote:
Kimbro1014 wrote:

Joe

Then maybe there's an issue with the inductor or springs if it happens no matter how you cast or which setting it's on. Doesn't sound normal. Perhaps another user will chime in. Regardless, complain to the seller and send it back for an exchange. No point in being annoyed.
I agree completely but it's from Digitaka in Japan. Not sure if they would help or not. Or if there's even a warranty in place.
Last edited by Dink Whisperer on Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:23 am

Remove the spool, extend the inductor with your fingers and release it. See if the sound is similar to what you're hearing. Since the boost spools have two springs, its normal that you hear two clicks, and at the beginning when you didn't, it might only be because you didn't notice or put less power into the cast, which didn't extend the second spring. Or it could be that at the beginning the second spring was stuck, so only the first was extending, and that's why you were hearing only one click. Now that it unstuck, you hear the two. I don't use any Boost spools, but this click is very audible from older daiwa reels such as the pixy airy red, tdz type r and the r+, alphas ito, etc.

Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dink Whisperer » Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:12 am

SSS wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:23 am
Remove the spool, extend the inductor with your fingers and release it. See if the sound is similar to what you're hearing. Since the boost spools have two springs, its normal that you hear two clicks, and at the beginning when you didn't, it might only be because you didn't notice or put less power into the cast, which didn't extend the second spring. Or it could be that at the beginning the second spring was stuck, so only the first was extending, and that's why you were hearing only one click. Now that it unstuck, you hear the two. I don't use any Boost spools, but this click is very audible from older daiwa reels such as the pixy airy red, tdz type r and the r+, alphas ito, etc.
Yes, that's a great way to describe it very audible and pronounced. I pulled the inductor in and out and it's pretty quite. Every 10 times or so it makes the click on the way out as I'm pulling it out but it's not consistent at all.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:25 am

Dink Whisperer wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:12 am
SSS wrote:
Yes, that's a great way to describe it very audible and pronounced. I pulled the inductor in and out and it's pretty quite. Every 10 times or so it makes the click on the way out as I'm pulling it out but it's not consistent at all.
It shouldn't make any noise when you're pulling the inductor out with your fingers. You have to pull it out and then release it, so it jumps back inside on its own. This is the sound that is supposed to "click". If you have another daiwa with a 34mm spool, you might want to try it inside the zillion to see if there's any changes.

Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dink Whisperer » Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:56 pm

SSS wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:25 am
Dink Whisperer wrote:
SSS wrote:
It shouldn't make any noise when you're pulling the inductor out with your fingers. You have to pull it out and then release it, so it jumps back inside on its own. This is the sound that is supposed to "click". If you have another daiwa with a 34mm spool, you might want to try it inside the zillion to see if there's any changes.
Unfortunately this is my only Daiwa at the moment. I'm all Shimano but the looks of this one got me to try it. Like I said for the most part it doesn't make any noise when I manually pull it out just once in every maybe 10-15 pulls. I have messaged Digitaka to see what they say. Not a good way to step into a different brand I must say.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:02 pm

Dink Whisperer wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:56 pm
SSS wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:25 am
Dink Whisperer wrote:
SSS wrote:
Unfortunately this is my only Daiwa at the moment. I'm all Shimano but the looks of this one got me to try it. Like I said for the most part it doesn't make any noise when I manually pull it out just once in every maybe 10-15 pulls. I have messaged Digitaka to see what they say. Not a good way to step into a different brand I must say.
If this is nothing else but the actual inductor cup extending during a cast, this is like hearing the centrifugal brakes rubbing on the braking ring inside a shimano. Its normal.

Maybe if you could record a short video, it would be easier to identify the issue (if its an issue at all).

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:31 pm

Agree on inductor issue. I only hear my alphas SV 105 click when switch between Shimano and Daiwa. Now I use Daiwa exclusively and hardly notice any click from Zillion 1000 nor Alphas SV TW.
Take a look at this thread. If problem in not severe, it might be assembly issue.
https://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=88084

Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dink Whisperer » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:25 pm

Here is a video where I managed to catch the click towards the end of the cast. Hopefully this link works.
https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/lZnDZeqtyesH

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:41 pm

I don't have the reel but that definitely sounds like the inductor seating back down into the mid or fully seated position. It's actually pretty quiet. You wouldn't hear it with flouro slapping quides and the level wind. My Airy Red pixy spool was way more noisy and would make a distinct metallic "tink" sound towards the end of a cast just before the bait entered the water. The old Mag V spools were noisy like that and the pixy as a little magnesium reel allows that sound to be heard. This zillion is actually pretty quiet all things considered. Personally I like it. I like hearing and tracking the mechanicals of my machines. I'm also not bothered a bit by the hissing sound of Abu IVCB or the vibration of of Shimano centrifugal on the cast. I would be kind of cool to observe what casting motions and baits produce a pronounced two step click and which one produce one. What makes it go full extension then off and what makes it go full extension then partial then off. I like knowing what the spool is doing so I think this is great. Also nice combo. I want both a Posion Adrena and Zillion HD. Just trying to find the cheaper JDM version in stock since they raised the USDM prices.