22 Zillion TW HD

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: 22 Zillion TW HD

Post by Dink Whisperer » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:02 am

LowRange wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:41 pm
I don't have the reel but that definitely sounds like the inductor seating back down into the mid or fully seated position. It's actually pretty quiet. You wouldn't hear it with flouro slapping quides and the level wind. My Airy Red pixy spool was way more noisy and would make a distinct metallic "tink" sound towards the end of a cast just before the bait entered the water. The old Mag V spools were noisy like that and the pixy as a little magnesium reel allows that sound to be heard. This zillion is actually pretty quiet all things considered. Personally I like it. I like hearing and tracking the mechanicals of my machines. I'm also not bothered a bit by the hissing sound of Abu IVCB or the vibration of of Shimano centrifugal on the cast. I would be kind of cool to observe what casting motions and baits produce a pronounced two step click and which one produce one. What makes it go full extension then off and what makes it go full extension then partial then off. I like knowing what the spool is doing so I think this is great. Also nice combo. I want both a Posion Adrena and Zillion HD. Just trying to find the cheaper JDM version in stock since they raised the USDM prices.
Yeah at this point I just want to know if it's normal or not you know? If it's normal than I agree it sounds cool. If it's not then it sounds terrifying haha.
The Poison Adrena is a pretty sweet rod. This HD Zillion looks like it was made for it too.

Steven100
Angler
Angler

Post by Steven100 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:25 am

Dink Whisperer wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:57 am
rto wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:45 am
Dink Whisperer wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:30 am
rto wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:50 am
Dink Whisperer wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:12 am

I think the spool is fluffing slightly more than before it started making that noise. Other than that nothing negative other than it's really annoying. It's it "normal" for it to be doing it? Any fixes for it? I'm just curious as to why it wasn't doing it at first? Thanks

On mag Z all this means is you're slightly losing control of the spool during the cast and the inductor is hitting its end stop in response then returning back to the spool. Nothing's broken, so there isn't a fix other than revising your casting stroke. Are you whip casting like it's a spinning rig? If so this isn't necessary to get distance with Mag z braking. It's possible to cast with power and not whip your cast at the end of the stroke.
It's definitely coming from the spool area. I've tried different casts even just really light side arm and it still does it. Even when I'm just pitching the T-rig around it will do it faster like click click back to back. If it's a long cast it will do it as I explained in the original post. I've also tried turning the brake dial up tighter with the same results. I guess as long as there's nothing wrong with it I'll get use to it. It's really annoying though.
Then maybe there's an issue with the inductor or springs if it happens no matter how you cast or which setting it's on. Doesn't sound normal. Perhaps another user will chime in. Regardless, complain to the seller and send it back for an exchange. No point in being annoyed.
I agree completely but it's from Digitaka in Japan. Not sure if they would help or not. Or if there's even a warranty in place.
No quarantee Jdm reels. But report it. I think they will help you. Great seller

Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dink Whisperer » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:29 am

Steven100 wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:25 am
Dink Whisperer wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:57 am
rto wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:45 am
Dink Whisperer wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:30 am
rto wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:50 am

On mag Z all this means is you're slightly losing control of the spool during the cast and the inductor is hitting its end stop in response then returning back to the spool. Nothing's broken, so there isn't a fix other than revising your casting stroke. Are you whip casting like it's a spinning rig? If so this isn't necessary to get distance with Mag z braking. It's possible to cast with power and not whip your cast at the end of the stroke.
It's definitely coming from the spool area. I've tried different casts even just really light side arm and it still does it. Even when I'm just pitching the T-rig around it will do it faster like click click back to back. If it's a long cast it will do it as I explained in the original post. I've also tried turning the brake dial up tighter with the same results. I guess as long as there's nothing wrong with it I'll get use to it. It's really annoying though.
Then maybe there's an issue with the inductor or springs if it happens no matter how you cast or which setting it's on. Doesn't sound normal. Perhaps another user will chime in. Regardless, complain to the seller and send it back for an exchange. No point in being annoyed.
I agree completely but it's from Digitaka in Japan. Not sure if they would help or not. Or if there's even a warranty in place.
No quarantee Jdm reels. But report it. I think they will help you. Great seller
They actually just responded this morning to send it back and order another one but of course they're completely sold out again.
That's why I wanted to figure out if it's normal or not because I really like the reel and want to keep it or one that works properly.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:59 am

Pull the inductor all the way out then let go so it snaps back down against the spool. If the sound is the same but louder then that is the culprit and normal. It will be more muffled in the reel behind the side plate and magnets.

AMMOGUY
Angler
Angler

Post by AMMOGUY » Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:25 pm

Wanted to update this thread.

I just got my HD rigged up and took it for a spin. Mine “thunks” at the end of the cast too. It’s definitely odd. Had I not read this thread prior, I’d 100% think there was something wrong with it. I guess its just part of the inductor design, but it does sound kind of out of place on a “refined” reel.

Mine might tick slightly at the start of the cast too, but honestly, it’s hard to tell because my spool bearings definitely make some noise. I get a decent “zzzrrrrr” when casting a 3/8 jig. They’re not ceramics, but if I didn’t know better I’d think they were. Not super impressed with that.

Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dink Whisperer » Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:08 pm

AMMOGUY wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:25 pm

I just got my HD rigged up and took it for a spin. Mine “thunks” at the end of the cast too. It’s definitely odd. Had I not read this thread prior, I’d 100% think there was something wrong with it. I guess its just part of the inductor design, but it does sound kind of out of place on a “refined” reel.

Mine might tick slightly at the start of the cast too, but honestly, it’s hard to tell because my spool bearings definitely make some noise. I get a decent “zzzrrrrr” when casting a 3/8 jig. They’re not ceramics, but if I didn’t know better I’d think they were. Not super impressed with that.
I ended up sending mine back. I'm on the fence about trying another one. Like you, I'm not impressed by a reel in it's price range. I might try one more since I do like the looks a lot. If it clicks too then it has to be "normal".

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:15 pm

Dink Whisperer wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:08 pm
I ended up sending mine back. I'm on the fence about trying another one. Like you, I'm not impressed by a reel in it's price range. I might try one more since I do like the looks a lot. If it clicks too then it has to be "normal".
How was the casting distance and trajectory?

AMMOGUY
Angler
Angler

Post by AMMOGUY » Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:32 pm

Dink Whisperer wrote:
AMMOGUY wrote:

Man it’s a beautiful reel. There’s a lot I like about it. I really really wanted this one to be “the one” that id swap several of my rigs to. I was planning on ordering another one right away for my frog rod.

But I don’t really get it. This was my venture into “real” Daiwas, and it’s not blowing my skirt up other than it’s looks. It’s really not even that smooth. Better than all my Tat platforms? Sure. Better than my buddies Tournament Pro that he got at academy for $110? Ehhh, I’m actually not sure.

I’m not giving up yet though. I actually have a US zillion G on the way. But if it doesn’t hit like it should, I’ll move on.

Let me be clear. This is a nice real. 99% of people would probably oooh and ahhh. I’m just picky. I’m a reel nerd. I had high (probably unreasonable) expectations. But the hype around the zillions had me hoping.

AMMOGUY
Angler
Angler

Post by AMMOGUY » Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:38 pm

reason162 wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:15 pm
Dink Whisperer wrote:
How was the casting distance and trajectory?
Distance seems maybe a hair above average. Nothing crazy. It takes more brake than any of my other Daiwas to stay under control, so I’d say the rotor setup is a little more “free”. I’ve got 20lb sniper on it, and I blew it up a few times until I realized I had to crank the brake up more than I’m used to.

But it replaced a Coastal SV that had an R+ rotor spring and ZPI’s…. And I think I like the way the modded Coastal casted a hair better.

Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dink Whisperer » Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:48 pm

AMMOGUY wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:32 pm
Dink Whisperer wrote:
AMMOGUY wrote:

Man it’s a beautiful reel. There’s a lot I like about it. I really really wanted this one to be “the one” that id swap several of my rigs to. I was planning on ordering another one right away for my frog rod.

But I don’t really get it. This was my venture into “real” Daiwas, and it’s not blowing my skirt up other than it’s looks. It’s really not even that smooth. Better than all my Tat platforms? Sure. Better than my buddies Tournament Pro that he got at academy for $110? Ehhh, I’m actually not sure.

I’m not giving up yet though. I actually have a US zillion G on the way. But if it doesn’t hit like it should, I’ll move on.

Let me be clear. This is a nice real. 99% of people would probably oooh and ahhh. I’m just picky. I’m a reel nerd. I had high (probably unreasonable) expectations. But the hype around the zillions had me hoping.
I couldn't agree with you more! I was hoping to get 3 to replace some 2020 Shimano Metaniums but man I don't think it's gonna happen. I had a few Tatulas that all ended up getting geary after a couple months. After that I didn't try Daiwa again until now.
I wanted this HD version due to more line capacity over the Metanium and the US Zillion also. Figured it would come in handy for frogs on my Expride. I'm all Shimano right now and just wanted to try something new.

AMMOGUY
Angler
Angler

Post by AMMOGUY » Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:15 pm

Dink Whisperer wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:48 pm
AMMOGUY wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:32 pm
Dink Whisperer wrote:
AMMOGUY wrote:

I couldn't agree with you more! I was hoping to get 3 to replace some 2020 Shimano Metaniums but man I don't think it's gonna happen. I had a few Tatulas that all ended up getting geary after a couple months. After that I didn't try Daiwa again until now.
I wanted this HD version due to more line capacity over the Metanium and the US Zillion also. Figured it would come in handy for frogs on my Expride. I'm all Shimano right now and just wanted to try something new.

Tats are, for the most part just mediocre utility reels IMO. You may get a great one, or you mat get a really bad one. I think the drivetrain / pinion design is poor at best. Although, one of the smoothest reels in my boat is a standard Tat 100HS. I have no idea why. That particular reel is just an outlier for some reason. All the tolerances and stars aligned I guess.

But I have a host of other Tats that are noisy, clunky, and geary. They function great, they cast pretty good. But I don’t care to listen to them anymore.

I have a Curado DC and an MGL 150 that are nice reels. Took two tries to get a smooth CDC, but the one I have now is pretty darn good (really not sure the Zillion is any “smoother” which is sad). The MGL 150 form factor is a home run IMO.

I haven’t ventured into “nice” Shimanos. Maybe sometime I will. But I’ve heard tales of some of those not staying smooth either. Heck, maybe I need to go Lews. 😂🥴.
I’m just drawn to Daiwas for some reason. Idk why.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:48 am

Don't worry. Give it a year and your Zillion will absolutely be smoother than he Curado DC. Plenty of reels are smooth out of the box but staying that way after years of use is another story. Especially for US bass anglers where we winch in fish with the reel instead of pumping the rod. This new Daiwa gear design seems to hold up really well to that kind of use where as the MM does not.

AMMOGUY
Angler
Angler

Post by AMMOGUY » Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:20 am

LowRange wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:48 am
Don't worry. Give it a year and your Zillion will absolutely be smoother than he Curado DC. Plenty of reels are smooth out of the box but staying that way after years of use is another story. Especially for US bass anglers where we winch in fish with the reel instead of pumping the rod. This new Daiwa gear design seems to hold up really well to that kind of use where as the MM does not.
Yea. That might be the case. We’ll see.
The Curado has seen a ton of mid cranking use since February. And several fish over 5lbs. I don’t think it’s as smooth as it was day one, but so far it’s not aging badly.

When are the “MBD” (micro belt drive) reels being released? I think I want to get on that bandwagon. 😂

(That’s a joke, but maybe I need to go ahead and trademark that, lol)

Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dink Whisperer » Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:50 am

LowRange wrote:
I've had MM Curados, Chronarchs, Scorpions and even the Metaniums since their releases with zero issues in smoothness. And here in FL they're all used for some sort of abusive heavy cover, big swimbait or deep water winching duties.
As apposed to every Daiwa I've ever tried that has had issues either right out of the box or within the first few weeks of use.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:25 pm

Dink Whisperer wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:50 am
LowRange wrote:
I've had MM Curados, Chronarchs, Scorpions and even the Metaniums since their releases with zero issues in smoothness. And here in FL they're all used for some sort of abusive heavy cover, big swimbait or deep water winching duties.
As apposed to every Daiwa I've ever tried that has had issues either right out of the box or within the first few weeks of use.
Let's hope they stay that way. Unfortunately this issue is well documented and has been ongoing for years. The issue is really more of a nuance but it's a thing people have been experiencing and they are not happy about it.