Steez A with TD-Z 103 spool

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Steez A with TD-Z 103 spool

Post by 78Staff » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:42 pm

I don't know if it's me, but this combo is a nightmare to use for some reason. Have it setup with 40lb braid for a swim jig rig in the grass, and I've backlashed it to the point of cutting out line the last three times on the water :(. Now, I am no pro, but I don't backlash reels very often, so I assuming this is just not a good combo of reel/magnet setup/spool, or maybe I just have something amiss in the reel setup, but I am going to have to change that spool out for something else. Usually a big TD-Z 100/103/R+ spool fan, but for whatever reason it's just not working for me in the Steez A. Might switch to a Zillion SV, or more likely a RC-001

Anyone else throwing a TD-Z 103 spool (yellow inductor) in a Steez A and seem similar results?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Steez A with TD-Z 103 spool

Post by dragon1 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:28 pm

When I had a Steez A LH for a few months, I dropped in a TD-ito Type R spool and I think it was a slightly better option than the factory spool for baits sub 3/8, but honestly it did not outperform the G1 Zillion SV spool. I don't have the ZPI M spool, but I hear it is magical in the Steez A with braid. I do have a Morethan 1000 PE SV 8.6 on the way, so I will try installing the ZPI PG spool in it to see how it performs, along with a Type R+.

Good luck.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:56 am

I put the RC001 spool in, and it drags a bit...ie when you reel the handle you can hear/feel the side of the spool dragging on the sideplate. Brakes are set to 0, so not sure if just a tolerance issue, as it should fit with no issues. Anyway, I also have some TD-Z Type R and R+ spools, and several Zillion SV spools. I'll toss the Zillion SV spool and try it out...

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:12 pm

I've heard that when you take the spool out the new Zillion 1000 that it performs better or is faster in the Steez SV TW. Assuming the Steez A and Steez SV TW have the same magnets then that would make the Steez A a weaker magnet or long cast (magnets further away) reel than a Zillion 1000. I know TD-Z magnets are decently strong but far away from the spool similar to a T3 Magforce 3D set to Long Cast mode. The OG Steez and SS reels have super weak magnets and are on the bottom of the magnet strength spectrum.

Something like:

Past two zillions

Steez TW reels

TD-Z

OG Steez

From strongest to weakest magnets. Not sure where the Ryoga 1016 fits in. I only have a LIN10 and its on the stronger side.

I still use the OG weak sauce magnet reels and I like the old ZPI spools and 1010 spools in them but have to avoid the R+ or Ray's Long Cast fixed inductors because they are too fast in those reels.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:46 pm

Well I rolled with the Zillion G1 SV spool today, it was like throwing through molasses lol. I guess I am used to R/R+ spools/tuning, so that SV spool really limits casting in the Steez A. Had to basically drop the dial to 0 to get any sort of decent casting distance, and the spool could get a bit fluffy peeling off line. I think I will double check bearings and/or maybe put that R+ spool I have in it, or try to sort out what's going on with the rc001.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:25 pm

I have a steez A with a morethan PE 1000 spool on my frog rod and its accurate as all get out.. now im throwing frogs so they are rather heavy but i have to throttle back. in my other steez a tuned by Ian with the german bearings he sourced that thing flat out cast. I've never used a 103 spool, never had a reason to but I have tried PG, M, 1010, G1 spools and not have had any issues like you are describing with the 103 spool.
May i ask what were you looking to get with the 103 spool? I only ask because there maybe better options out there
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:00 pm

78Staff wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:46 pm
Well I rolled with the Zillion G1 SV spool today, it was like throwing through molasses lol. I guess I am used to R/R+ spools/tuning, so that SV spool really limits casting in the Steez A. Had to basically drop the dial to 0 to get any sort of decent casting distance, and the spool could get a bit fluffy peeling off line. I think I will double check bearings and/or maybe put that R+ spool I have in it, or try to sort out what's going on with the rc001.
Make sure to tinker with the "no adjust" tension knob and loosen it a bit as well.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."