KastKing Kestrel Elite BFS

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: KastKing Kestrel Elite BFS

Post by SSS » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:47 am

Its funny how this company chases what's supposed to attract the clueless. The "fastest reel on the market" and now "the lighest reel on the market". A brand created to milk the clueless teenager and his dad that fishes one Sunday per month.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:51 am

Johnny A wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:54 am
Johnny A wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:50 am
LowRange wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:25 am
Johnny A wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:14 am
I’d “heard”, Kast King was a crowd-sourced tackle venture so I did a little bit of investigating to see what was hat and what was cattle. I couldn’t find anything about crowd-sourcing but I found the parent company of KastKing, ePoisedon(? spelling) was started by MBA students from Syracuse University.
If I understand correctly, they wanted to skip layers of R & D to bring anglers ideas direct to consumers, among other thoughts. Here’s the link to their website, let them tell the tale.

https://kastking.com/pages/our-story-view-more
They were just rebranded Chinease Aliexpress reels. Some still are but they use other platforms too.
During the American Civil War, quite a few people with wealth or claimed wealth were able to mass produce “items and food”, get government contracts and supply soldiers with basically “crap”. It was known as the “Age Of Shoddy”. I think today is basically the same thing. Cheap labor, poor design, mass production and a dozen other attributes have allowed inferior products to live in the marketplace and it’s only going to get worse.
This is the real “Age of Shoddy”.
addendum:

The new Daiwa Zillions can be head between $300 and $400 USD, actual Japan Zillions. You have made in Korea reels running for more than that. It’s all profit for the pocket.
The JDM Zillions are now under $250 from Digitaka with free shipping.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:45 am

Kinda like ordering a crappy local micro brew for the same price of a known quality premium bear...ya drink it anyway regardless that it tastes terrible.

That's the fastest way to get it out of your system, I suppose. The faster down the gullet, the faster one can get it out of their system.

So, those that buy at full price at introduction will likely be the ones to take it to the urinal first for lowball resale?!?
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:52 am

SSS wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:47 am
Its funny how this company chases what's supposed to attract the clueless. The "fastest reel on the market" and now "the lighest reel on the market". A brand created to milk the clueless teenager and his dad that fishes one Sunday per month.
This type of hype and sale of crappola goods, services, leadership, etc., has been around for generations and even Eons...fishing gear is just another product in the tool box.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:47 pm

SSS wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:47 am
My favorite Aliexpress fishing reel name was "worlds lightest fishing reel". That was the name of the reel.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:54 am

LowRange wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:47 pm
My favorite Aliexpress fishing reel name was "worlds lightest fishing reel". That was the name of the reel.
Awesome name for Aliexpress reel :D

The Reel Test casts KastKing Kestrel Elite BFS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fXXAX3WkIY It casts good! I expected little better with 1.2 g lure, but have to keep on mind that was full spool of 4 lb Fluorocarbon, which is not ideal. And bearings might be worth to be flushed as someone commented on Youtube. (Or replaced to ceramic hybrid.) Also someone commented that reel seems sitting high on rod, and I think same. If that's true, I don't understand why they have done that like that. But in The Reel Test it was nicely palmed anyway.

In my opinion reel looks more appealing in raWr Fishing's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84gIlepFrt8 And no, it's not high sitting, it's low reel.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:52 am

Hoping that tilting fixing arm for magnets is pivoted correctly also in LH model :D
http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php ... 03#p715003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh56wxgo-ME&t=115s

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:46 pm

jvelth74 wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:54 am
LowRange wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:47 pm
Awesome name for Aliexpress reel :D

The Reel Test casts KastKing Kestrel Elite BFS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fXXAX3WkIY It casts good! I expected little better with 1.2 g lure, but have to keep on mind that was full spool of 4 lb Fluorocarbon, which is not ideal. And bearings might be worth to be flushed as someone commented on Youtube. (Or replaced to ceramic hybrid.) Also someone commented that reel seems sitting high on rod, and I think same. If that's true, I don't understand why they have done that like that. But in The Reel Test it was nicely palmed anyway.

In my opinion reel looks more appealing in raWr Fishing's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84gIlepFrt8 And no, it's not high sitting, it's low reel.
I like the Kestrel. I know one of the above channels has a relationship with KastKing and the opinion may be skewed. Regardless of what people say, it's a pretty nice BFS reel.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:54 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:46 pm
I like the Kestrel. I know one of the above channels has a relationship with KastKing and the opinion may be skewed. Regardless of what people say, it's a pretty nice BFS reel.
I believe it's very good in operating characteristics and also ergonomics, but I think it's just too pricey as KK reel, for me :) Btv, is magnet arm in correct way in LH Kestrel reel? :D