Braid Digging in...still

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Braid Digging in...still

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:03 am

So a while back I had to cut a good bit of 8lb braid off of my BFS setup and it ended up costing me a big fish after I got spooled. I respooled the same reel and started using it again... I switch this Zillion SVTW out for an Aliexpress DIY BFS spool and the stock spool for different fishing. Thursday I put the BFS spool in, went to thread the guides, and it was dug in a few yards deep. No big deal, I pulled it out and went to fish the bank. After casting I had the same issue. Not 15 yards down it was looped over itself and dug in. Just so strange as to how this happens, I never let it backlash and always wind braid on tight initially. This same thing happens sometimes deep in the spool with fluorocarbon too. The top 60 yards or so is fine, but when I remove line it is all buried up and wound over itself deeper in the spool. I noticed this on an old Zillion TWS not long ago, I use it for big cranks and chatterbaits, threw a long cast and noticed the line grabbing and sticking to itself at the ends of the cast. Will try and get a picture next time it happens.

Does anyone else experience this or am I doing something wrong? Winding the line on too tight?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Braid Digging in...still

Post by LowRange » Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:34 am

I won't go below 15# braid for BFS because that is already crazy small. I would up the diameter and make sure you're not reeling in slack. I have the habit of tugging on my line taught away from the spool as I wind it it when it becomes slack. As a 3 fingers in front of the trigger palmer it'd easy to reach up and do that. I do this out of habit even with 20# Big Game.
Last edited by LowRange on Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:14 am

It just depends on the line. As some line do have better spool management than others.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:16 pm

The Zillion spool isn't wide enough for braid that thin. I would go 15 or 20#.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:54 pm

godshippy wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:16 pm
Probably right about the spool, but it seems to happen with all varieties of line, just most with that specific spool. Had some 10lb fluorocarbon on a reel and it came off fine. Got to my 30lb 832 braid backing and it was all dug in and looped over itself. Just so weird because I never cast that deep. It must be 60 yards or more deep. Just a mystery because I wound on the backing tightly, then attached the main line and filled the spool. I have just been noticing when changing line or getting deep in the spool I notice line dug in. Maybe they sit too long or I don't cast far enough?

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:39 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:54 pm
godshippy wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:16 pm
Probably right about the spool, but it seems to happen with all varieties of line, just most with that specific spool. Had some 10lb fluorocarbon on a reel and it came off fine. Got to my 30lb 832 braid backing and it was all dug in and looped over itself. Just so weird because I never cast that deep. It must be 60 yards or more deep. Just a mystery because I wound on the backing tightly, then attached the main line and filled the spool. I have just been noticing when changing line or getting deep in the spool I notice line dug in. Maybe they sit too long or I don't cast far enough?
Maybe the main line puts enough pressure on the braid to cause it to dig in. I have some 20 year old Bass Pro 20# mono that I use for backing, and it is never a problem. Probably because it is fat!

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:39 pm

When I used to run mono and after break offs or just over time stripping line off. On the older reels that has line on from last year or years before, yeah there is some deformity to the line being settled in. I guess with braid and the set up of mono backing and top shot leaders, I haven't really stripped off enough line to what's down. However I do sometime exchange lines and yeah I see how weird braid behaves down there. For some reason that sometimes there is a loop and then a little burr loop spot. It goes that I never gotten down that deep there so why would the line get a slack misbehaving loop there.

My guess is because of the spool spin. Much like how the earth bulges at the equator, well high speed spool spin and some line wraps settling in to the centrifugal force must has something to do with it. As how it goes with how the outer most line wraps sometimes like to fluff up during the initial cast due to the centrifugal force. Only this is all happening down under the other layers of line wraps and little tiny things eventually adds up to the line burr loop.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:14 am

I cannot say that I experience this - except if I by accident I get the line caught beneath itself when getting the setup ready.

I use 0.12 mm Sufix braid (~10 lb?) on most of my BFS reels from ABU, Shimano, and 34mm Daiwa reels (with aftermarket bfs spools).
I use thinner ~0.10 mm Varivas, other JDM or Daiwa X8 braid on my Shimano Aldebaran BFS and some of my Daiwa BFS reels (Alphas Air tw, Steez Air tw, Gekkebijin).

It all works great.

The only trouble I have had with very thin JDM braid has been line snap due to minor backlash when tossing 2.5-3.5 gram lures…

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:38 am

slipperybob wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:39 pm
When I used to run mono and after break offs or just over time stripping line off. On the older reels that has line on from last year or years before, yeah there is some deformity to the line being settled in. I guess with braid and the set up of mono backing and top shot leaders, I haven't really stripped off enough line to what's down. However I do sometime exchange lines and yeah I see how weird braid behaves down there. For some reason that sometimes there is a loop and then a little burr loop spot. It goes that I never gotten down that deep there so why would the line get a slack misbehaving loop there.

My guess is because of the spool spin. Much like how the earth bulges at the equator, well high speed spool spin and some line wraps settling in to the centrifugal force must has something to do with it. As how it goes with how the outer most line wraps sometimes like to fluff up during the initial cast due to the centrifugal force. Only this is all happening down under the other layers of line wraps and little tiny things eventually adds up to the line burr loop.
This is what my guess is... I think I get to casting hard and don't fully pull slack (like LowRange mentioned), causing little loops or crossover spots. Most of the time these pull out easy enough, just the fact that line deep in the spool was laid over itself confused me. I also still wonder if I am winding the line on with too much pressure. One of the absolute worse I every saw this was on a Tatula HD I sold. I was green and dumb, put almost an entire spool of 25lb Sunline Flippin FC on it. Of course it did not cast well and was too thick for my fishing. When I went to remove it and sell the reel, I removed the first 2/3 of line easily and smoothly, but once I got down to the last 1/3 it was dug in, crossed over, looped, buried up, AWFUL. Had to cut it to remove the last bit of line. I had never, EVER cast that deep, and never turned the line around. Just wound it on tightly and fished the top 1/2 of line maximum till the day I removed it.