22 Engetsu BB Spool Question

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
nycangler
Angler
Angler

22 Engetsu BB Spool Question

Post by nycangler » Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:43 pm

Hello,

I'm looking to purchase the 22 Engetsu BB 101 PG, however the spool is super shallow. Does anyone know if the spool from a Curado 71 or a Curado 151 or some other Shimano spool with more line capacity would fit? I can't tell what frame they are using for this reel , I think it's a Curado, but I am not sure. Any help or input is appreciated.

https://fish.shimano.com/ja-JP/product/ ... 81qag.html

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 22 Engetsu BB Spool Question

Post by LowRange » Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:18 am

Looks closest to an SLX. Make sure it has brakes. The Daiwa jigging reels don't. The old engetsu 100 did and is actually a great distance caster of 1/4-3/8 oz with braid. It has a heavy shallow spool that really rips. If you have never fished your stock spool you should give it a try with 20# braid. 2 on and 2 off blocks and zero spool tension on a ML or M rod.

nycangler
Angler
Angler

Re: 22 Engetsu BB Spool Question

Post by nycangler » Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:08 am

LowRange wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:18 am
Looks closest to an SLX. Make sure it has brakes. The Daiwa jigging reels don't. The old engetsu 100 did and is actually a great distance caster of 1/4-3/8 oz with braid. It has a heavy shallow spool that really rips. If you have never fished your stock spool you should give it a try with 20# braid. 2 on and 2 off blocks and zero spool tension on a ML or M rod.
I think you are right about no brakes, I have the old Engetsu, I switched out the spool with a Curado 71 and it worked great, I use it as a cranking reel. I was thinking about doing the same with this one, but the lack of brakes seems to make this endeavor not worthwhile. Thanks for the input.