Daiwa Zillion G 1000 Gear Longevity

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa Zillion G 1000 Gear Longevity

Post by Just_Bass » Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:06 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:12 pm
SSS wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:07 pm
I own the Japanese model since the first 2 months they were released. Used it a ton, and there's zero buzz and the reel is about 90% as smooth as new (haven't even serviced it yet).

Funny thing is, i was watching NDYakAngler video, and noticed some insane buzzing on his zillion g, and that was the first time, which was only a few days ago, that i hear of a buzzy zillion. Here's the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sYCBNMi07c

Are we at a point where the aluminum gears are better than brass? Because i have been using my reel a lot with high resistance lures (spinnerbaits, shatterbaits and medium diving cranks), and the reel is as silent as new.
I wouldn't say we are at a point where alloy is better than brass. I'd say its cost cutting and using inferior quality brass. The OG zillion gears stay smooth for many years and the OG ryoga and Z reels cant be beaten as far a longevity is concerned
Just for curiosity, can anyone weight just the brass gear on Zillion G USDM?. I kind of think Daiwa would use the same brass gear for Zillion HD, but being made in Japan VS Thailand, the brass gear might come from different manufacturers. Fingers cross.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:20 am

Just_Bass wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:26 pm
You know what, I have 3 alphas SVTW which supposedly using same brass gear. One of my get buzzing feel to. I swapped gear to other reel and buzzing still happen.
This comment keeps me up at night..: so buzzing is not only an issue of bad teeth but your gear alignment could also go bad over time?
SSS wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:21 pm
Now i wonder how many people are having issues with the 2020 met gears. I used to hear a bunch of people saying that after swapping met dc or the 2016 met mgl gears for brass, it becomes super smooth and there's no more buzz, but in this thread alone there's plenty who are having gear issues, and its brass that's on the newest mets.
Not even the brass conversion did help my ol '13 Metanium.
I'm on my 2nd gearset in my heavily used '20 Met because of buzz. The Bantam that shares the same gearset parts Numbers which I use for mainly 1oz spinnerbaits was even worse, so the Metaniums gearset now lives inside the Bantam. At 35$ from Shimano Europe I don't mind the swap once in a while.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:21 am

I wonder if it is the new tooth cut causing them to be more fragile. A more precise, higher tolerance cut might be like a sharper edge being easier to damage. Just a theory, I know the Daiwa Hyperdrive teeth are actually somewhat big. I know without a doubt my 2 smoothest reels are my Zillion SV1000 (JDM), and Conquest 100HG. The Alphas SVTW is a bit further behind, but still feels great too.

I have still always wanted to try a Metanium, but the mentioned gear issues alone ran me off. Was really interested in the Shallow Version but then they decided to use aluminum micro gears...

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:35 am

I had one metanium 20 that went through 3 gear sets from Shimano. I loved the reel but it was disappointing, I have a conquest 400 for swimbaits with micro module and that seems to be the only reel that has seemed to somewhat last without gear swapping. Standard Daiwa gears are just fine and are just as silky to me.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:00 pm

dennis_rf wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:20 am
Just_Bass wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:26 pm
You know what, I have 3 alphas SVTW which supposedly using same brass gear. One of my get buzzing feel to. I swapped gear to other reel and buzzing still happen.
This comment keeps me up at night..: so buzzing is not only an issue of bad teeth but your gear alignment could also go bad over time?
SSS wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:21 pm
Now i wonder how many people are having issues with the 2020 met gears. I used to hear a bunch of people saying that after swapping met dc or the 2016 met mgl gears for brass, it becomes super smooth and there's no more buzz, but in this thread alone there's plenty who are having gear issues, and its brass that's on the newest mets.
Not even the brass conversion did help my ol '13 Metanium.
I'm on my 2nd gearset in my heavily used '20 Met because of buzz. The Bantam that shares the same gearset parts Numbers which I use for mainly 1oz spinnerbaits was even worse, so the Metaniums gearset now lives inside the Bantam. At 35$ from Shimano Europe I don't mind the swap once in a while.
If buzzing persists after a gear swap then I would look at all bearings related to rotating components. A crunchy bearing can feel a lot like worn gears on a high speed reel

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:38 pm

The buzzed gear was in different reel. I swapped the gear to different reel and still feel the buzzing (with new reel) I’m not sure what to do with gear alignment or bearings.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:24 pm

SSS wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:20 pm
BARRAMANIAC wrote:
SSS wrote:
I own the Japanese model since the first 2 months they were released. Used it a ton, and there's zero buzz and the reel is about 90% as smooth as new (haven't even serviced it yet).

Funny thing is, i was watching NDYakAngler video, and noticed some insane buzzing on his zillion g, and that was the first time, which was only a few days ago, that i hear of a buzzy zillion. Here's the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sYCBNMi07c

Are we at a point where the aluminum gears are better than brass? Because i have been using my reel a lot with high resistance lures (spinnerbaits, shatterbaits and medium diving cranks), and the reel is as silent as new.
I wouldn't say we are at a point where alloy is better than brass. I'd say its cost cutting and using inferior quality brass. The OG zillion gears stay smooth for many years and the OG ryoga and Z reels cant be beaten as far a longevity is concerned
Got the daiwa tick on my og ryoga and the my z that i use for musky lost its smoothness pretty quickly tbh. I do agree that the og zillions stayed smooth for a long time.
Agreed, the quality of the gear material and manufacturing process also contributes to longevity and durability, as much as does any gear design. I also believe that gear alignment being slightly off, and poor quality support bearings, are also culprits to premature wear and buzzing of these new gears.

The Z, in any gear ratio, was definitely not made to be a dedicated musky reel. I would say that a 300-400 sized reel in Daiwa's lineup would be at least what would be needed to tango with muskies.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:44 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:24 pm
SSS wrote:
BARRAMANIAC wrote:
SSS wrote:

Got the daiwa tick on my og ryoga and the my z that i use for musky lost its smoothness pretty quickly tbh. I do agree that the og zillions stayed smooth for a long time.
Agreed, the quality of the gear material and manufacturing process also contributes to longevity and durability, as much as does any gear design. I also believe that gear alignment being slightly off, and poor quality support bearings, are also culprits to premature wear and buzzing of these new gears.

The Z, in any gear ratio, was definitely not made to be a dedicated musky reel. I would say that a 300-400 sized reel in Daiwa's lineup would be at least what would be needed to tango with muskies.
I use it to chunk large baits, be it for bass or musky. I also don't use anything that is over 4.5oz, so i am having a hard time believing that a Z is not capable of handling these kind of weights. I have also seen the 300 or 400 lexas that went buzzy way quicker than my z when fishing for musky.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:56 pm

SSS wrote:
BARRAMANIAC wrote:
SSS wrote:

The tick you refer to. was it a ticking or buzz. if ticking i have found the secondary anti reverse pawl is quite often the culprit for ticking in the Z and Ryogas. Never really had gear issues with those though.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:59 pm

SSS wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:44 pm
dragon1 wrote:
SSS wrote:
BARRAMANIAC wrote:
SSS wrote:

I use it to chunk large baits, be it for bass or musky. I also don't use anything that is over 4.5oz, so i am having a hard time believing that a Z is not capable of handling these kind of weights. I have also seen the 300 or 400 lexas that went buzzy way quicker than my z when fishing for musky.
The issue with the old Lexa models is the pinion is not dual bearing supported and is relying on the long spool shaft to support it. Had an original Lexa 300 go bad after one session on Golden Snapper in the bay

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:04 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:56 pm
SSS wrote:
BARRAMANIAC wrote:
SSS wrote:

The tick you refer to. was it a ticking or buzz. if ticking i have found the secondary anti reverse pawl is quite often the culprit for ticking in the Z and Ryogas. Never really had gear issues with those though.
It was the daiwa tick. Have had it happen on my og alphas, pixy, ryoga1016 and the steez sv tw. I did try to use the reel without the secondary anti reverse, checked all bearings, roller bearing, worm shaft, etc, etc. Nothing changed it, just like with the other reels i mentioned.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:07 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:59 pm
SSS wrote:
dragon1 wrote:
SSS wrote:
BARRAMANIAC wrote:

The issue with the old Lexa models is the pinion is not dual bearing supported and is relying on the long spool shaft to support it. Had an original Lexa 300 go bad after one session on Golden Snapper in the bay
Isn't it how the abu revo beast reels are made? And those are pretty popular with folks that fish for musky.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:22 am

SSS wrote:
dragon1 wrote:
SSS wrote:
BARRAMANIAC wrote:
SSS wrote:

Which gear ratio Z? I have a 2010 Z2020H 6.4:1, bought from Brooklyn Bill's...still on OG set and had Ian order me a new set from Plat a couple of months ago. I toss up to about 3 oz max on it, bit nothing with real heavy torque, upwards of #6-#7 willows and Colorado blades and 1oz Buzzjets and lots of 1-1.5 oz lures. OG gears still ticking, just not as smooth as new. I'll fish the OG gears another year or so...and yes, I removed the AR dog leg.

One major detail on the Z, this reel will tend to engage on a harder cast, especially if the handle is upgraded to a larger/heavier one. It is vital to keep the thumb bar consciously held down during casts to prevent re-engagement of the pinion gear during a cast, for obvious reasons.

Still, the Z is not what I would use for muskies, I'd beat up on a 300 sized reel like the new Tat, Conquest, Toro.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:46 am

I’ve been reading this thread for a bit and the first thing that strikes me is brass vs aluminum donnybrook. Metal fatigue can be the result of many stressors. The fact that Daiwa has been using “aircraft aluminum” for more than 20 years could suggest they know what they’re doing and they have a lot of experience with the material.
That said, aluminum planes have been know to drop from the sky at the most inopportune times because of metal fatigue. Are fishing reels more or less susceptible to wear and fatigue than airplane parts? If you want to get the correct answer, you have to ask the proper questions. The first being “What EXACTLY is the noise you are hearing?”
Could it be there are similar noises but not exact noises but the human ear lacks the ability to differentiate?
Good luck

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:25 am

I wonder how the aluminum gears will hold up? I got another IP and PE special instead of a modern zillion because I wanted to see how these new gears hold up. The TD Zillion has proven to hold up well and look cool. Not a fan of the new Shimano like silver Zillion's appearance although the HD has grown on me. Currently planning on an HD with SV Boost spool. Maybe alloy gears too. All just to make a black zillion. :doh:
Last edited by LowRange on Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.