Daiwa Zillion G 1000 Gear Longevity

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Daiwa Zillion G 1000 Gear Longevity

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:26 pm

I have 3 of the zillion G reels , the made in Thailand models with brass gearing. having used them for over 12 months now and have noticed 2 of them starting to get a gear buzz you would expect from alloy gear reels. One is more noticeable than the other but this would be related to the amount of use that they have had . Reels were pre serviced , I service and repair reels. They are used in saltwater but well maintained. All bearings have been checked and still ok. I use cals grease and TSI-321 as my lubricants of choice.
Wondering if anyone else has had any issues with their new zillions.
All reels have the 7.1:1 gear ratios.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa Zillion G 1000 Gear Longevity

Post by Just_Bass » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:26 pm

You know what, I have 3 alphas SVTW which supposedly using same brass gear. One of my get buzzing feel to. I swapped gear to other reel and buzzing still happen.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:03 am

I bought two a while back, one of them jdm model with the aluminum gear and the other American with the brass gear. The us model got rough fast which surprised me but the jdm model is still butter. I swapped the jdm gear into my steez Ct 70 and it’s silky smooth. I think I’ll order the aluminum set as a replacement for any steez or alphas variant that I have.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:40 am

Got the JDM aluminum 7.1 version, still butter. Only had it a short time and use it for lighter freshwater duty, but still feels amazing.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:56 am

Now I’m worried, just got the HD with brass gear, also order another HD gear set to replace the buzzing one. I also have JDM with aluminum gear that have been fish as hard and still smooth.
It might be incompatible between brass main gear and aluminum pinion gear?

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:21 am

All 5 of my JDM SV TW Zillions are still smooth as butter.

Some of which have seem heavy fresh and brackish water usage. They’re becoming my favorite reel of all time and I find myself using my 20 Mets less and less.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:49 am

The 20 metaniums I had all went geary and grindy even after new gear sets. Caught lots of fish but those mico module gears just have no durability.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:57 pm

I might order the JDM alloy gear sets then. I have had Steez A reels get the gear buzz but after a few years of use not a year. Seems the G1 Alloy gears are more durable then the Current brass gears from Daiwa.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:15 pm

It is really too fast to say and so far only a few of us with this brass gear have buzzing problem. I would be really happy if the hyper cut aluminum gear work and doesn’t mind to make all my alphas lighter.
Too bad Plat close for weekend plus national day off on Monday. I might change my order and get the Aluminum gear from Zillion instead of HD.

Scuba Scott
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scuba Scott » Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:17 pm

I have a pair of Zillions and several 20 Metaniums. All reels are U.S. market reels. I don’t have any issues with the Zillions yet. About half of the Metaniums have the buzzing/geary feeling. They have also been used the most. I have also had some Curado 150 MGL’s that have come out of the box feeling like this.

Are the issues with the buzzing/geary feeling from both manufacturers due to gear durability or the need for more frequent maintenance? It does not seem like the gearing with smaller more numerous teeth are as powerful as well.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:07 pm

I own the Japanese model since the first 2 months they were released. Used it a ton, and there's zero buzz and the reel is about 90% as smooth as new (haven't even serviced it yet).

Funny thing is, i was watching NDYakAngler video, and noticed some insane buzzing on his zillion g, and that was the first time, which was only a few days ago, that i hear of a buzzy zillion. Here's the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sYCBNMi07c

Are we at a point where the aluminum gears are better than brass? Because i have been using my reel a lot with high resistance lures (spinnerbaits, shatterbaits and medium diving cranks), and the reel is as silent as new.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:12 pm

SSS wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:07 pm
I own the Japanese model since the first 2 months they were released. Used it a ton, and there's zero buzz and the reel is about 90% as smooth as new (haven't even serviced it yet).

Funny thing is, i was watching NDYakAngler video, and noticed some insane buzzing on his zillion g, and that was the first time, which was only a few days ago, that i hear of a buzzy zillion. Here's the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sYCBNMi07c

Are we at a point where the aluminum gears are better than brass? Because i have been using my reel a lot with high resistance lures (spinnerbaits, shatterbaits and medium diving cranks), and the reel is as silent as new.
I wouldn't say we are at a point where alloy is better than brass. I'd say its cost cutting and using inferior quality brass. The OG zillion gears stay smooth for many years and the OG ryoga and Z reels cant be beaten as far a longevity is concerned

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:20 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:12 pm
SSS wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:07 pm

I wouldn't say we are at a point where alloy is better than brass. I'd say its cost cutting and using inferior quality brass. The OG zillion gears stay smooth for many years and the OG ryoga and Z reels cant be beaten as far a longevity is concerned
Got the daiwa tick on my og ryoga and the my z that i use for musky lost its smoothness pretty quickly tbh. I do agree that the og zillions stayed smooth for a long time.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:28 pm

The old zillions were money that’s for sure. My steez sv tws are smooth as glass after tons of use and they feel almost identical to the smoothness of the current hyper drive steez limited I have.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:21 pm

Now i wonder how many people are having issues with the 2020 met gears. I used to hear a bunch of people saying that after swapping met dc or the 2016 met mgl gears for brass, it becomes super smooth and there's no more buzz, but in this thread alone there's plenty who are having gear issues, and its brass that's on the newest mets.