Daiwa Zillion G 1000 Gear Longevity

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
flipper502
Angler
Angler

Re: Daiwa Zillion G 1000 Gear Longevity

Post by flipper502 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:38 am

My Zillion G JDMs are still smooth. Don't have any brass ones to compare.

They are all 7.1s. I wonder what gear ratios folks are having problems with?

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:39 am

dragon1 wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:22 am
SSS wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:44 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:24 pm
SSS wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:20 pm
BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:12 pm

I wouldn't say we are at a point where alloy is better than brass. I'd say its cost cutting and using inferior quality brass. The OG zillion gears stay smooth for many years and the OG ryoga and Z reels cant be beaten as far a longevity is concerned
Got the daiwa tick on my og ryoga and the my z that i use for musky lost its smoothness pretty quickly tbh. I do agree that the og zillions stayed smooth for a long time.
Agreed, the quality of the gear material and manufacturing process also contributes to longevity and durability, as much as does any gear design. I also believe that gear alignment being slightly off, and poor quality support bearings, are also culprits to premature wear and buzzing of these new gears.

The Z, in any gear ratio, was definitely not made to be a dedicated musky reel. I would say that a 300-400 sized reel in Daiwa's lineup would be at least what would be needed to tango with muskies.
I use it to chunk large baits, be it for bass or musky. I also don't use anything that is over 4.5oz, so i am having a hard time believing that a Z is not capable of handling these kind of weights. I have also seen the 300 or 400 lexas that went buzzy way quicker than my z when fishing for musky.

Which gear ratio Z? I have a 2010 Z2020H 6.4:1, bought from Brooklyn Bill's...still on OG set and had Ian order me a new set from Plat a couple of months ago. I toss up to about 3 oz max on it, bit nothing with real heavy torque, upwards of #6-#7 willows and Colorado blades and 1oz Buzzjets and lots of 1-1.5 oz lures. OG gears still ticking, just not as smooth as new. I'll fish the OG gears another year or so...and yes, I removed the AR dog leg.

One major detail on the Z, this reel will tend to engage on a harder cast, especially if the handle is upgraded to a larger/heavier one. It is vital to keep the thumb bar consciously held down during casts to prevent re-engagement of the pinion gear during a cast, for obvious reasons.

Still, the Z is not what I would use for muskies, I'd beat up on a 300 sized reel like the new Tat, Conquest, Toro.
Have the 6.4:1 as well. I have a 107mm carbon handle from Studio Composite and two of those big rubber knobs from Gomexus (ripoff from the DRT knobs), and i've actually never had it engage on a cast.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:36 am

Engaging the gears on a cast will cause the buzzing. As has been said, bad bearings and worn parts with do it also. The OG Zillion gears spoiled us for those of us that use that platform. It's good to hear that the Daiwa aluminum gears are holding up. I'm gonna try a reel with them. Almost all Shimano gears seem to have problems. My friends in the Shimano service business seem to have more gear business than they can handle.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:28 pm

toddmc wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:36 am
Engaging the gears on a cast will cause the buzzing. As has been said, bad bearings and worn parts with do it also. The OG Zillion gears spoiled us for those of us that use that platform. It's good to hear that the Daiwa aluminum gears are holding up. I'm gonna try a reel with them. Almost all Shimano gears seem to have problems. My friends in the Shimano service business seem to have more gear business than they can handle.
Yeppers, I agree on many of your points. Off topic, but it's almost unbearable to watch a Tactical Bassin' video anymore when Matt touts the current MM geared Shimanos as "the most reliable and durable".

Honestly, if more gear ratios were available in the OG Steez and TDZ, along with available parts, I wouldn't even be adding any newer models to my arsenal
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:30 pm

I have posted some in depth looks at the 20 Mets in the user review forum here.

I have now hit the point where all my Mets are geary and noisy. It’s disappointing to say the least.

I’m this -><- close to going back to being Shimano free. The Mets perform excellent otherwise, but the buzzing is tough to stomach at those prices.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:03 pm

Been using the JDM zillion G for about a year and half now, USDM Zillion G for a year, and Zillion G gear sets in Steez A's and Morethan reels since the gear sets became available. Heavy use. Still butter smooth. I use Krytox 225 grease if anybody cares.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:04 pm

iabass8 wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:03 pm
Been using the JDM zillion G for about a year and half now, USDM Zillion G for a year, and Zillion G gear sets in Steez A's and Morethan reels since the gear sets became available. Heavy use. Still butter smooth. I use Krytox 225 grease if anybody cares.
Which Zillion G brass or Zillion 1000 duralumin gear set did you install in the 2019 Morethan PE SV XH 8.6?
Last edited by dragon1 on Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:23 pm

CFDoc wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:30 pm
I have posted some in depth looks at the 20 Mets in the user review forum here.

I have now hit the point where all my Mets are geary and noisy. It’s disappointing to say the least.

I’m this -><- close to going back to being Shimano free. The Mets perform excellent otherwise, but the buzzing is tough to stomach at those prices.
I have read your posts, and know that you and Steve P. have shared a lot of insight as well, on MM gears and what may be causing the issues.

Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:49 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:04 pm
iabass8 wrote:
Which Zillion G brass or Zillion 1000 duralumin gear set did you install in the 2019 Morethan PE SV XH 8.6?
Yeah should we call Zillion 1000 for JDM and Zillion G just for USDM to avoid confusing. The G designated when Zillion become available for US anyway as ZLNSV100G.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:54 pm

Have to add. Have been using a 2015 met dc that i purchased in a very good used condition for about a year and half, and the reel is still silent and smooth. But that's most likely because i use it for things like jerkbaits, flukes, small swimbaits and other lures that don't have much resistance. I also never pull any snags by tightening the star drag and just ripping the lure from the bottom. Its as if these gear sets were made for gentle use or enjoy the grindy buzz.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:44 am

dragon1 wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:04 pm
iabass8 wrote:
7x usdm

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:54 am

Just update the frames and keep the same gears of old and I’ll be a happy camper.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:16 am

Real Pudd legend wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:54 am
Just update the frames and keep the same gears of old and I’ll be a happy camper.
Yeppers... unfortunately any manufacturer that did this would lose the market. Sad but true.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:38 am

All Shimano needs to do is bring back the original gears and market them as macro module lol

flipper502
Angler
Angler

Post by flipper502 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:52 am

Unfortunately Shimano is likely committed to their micro gears. Switching back would be admitting there is a problem.

The old Chronarch MGs I purchased when first released have still been going strong. Last time I serviced them them gears looked like new.

I expect similar life out of my JDM zillions.