Daiwa Zillion G 1000 Gear Longevity

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Zillion G 1000 Gear Longevity

Post by toddmc » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:21 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:28 pm
toddmc wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:36 am
Engaging the gears on a cast will cause the buzzing. As has been said, bad bearings and worn parts with do it also. The OG Zillion gears spoiled us for those of us that use that platform. It's good to hear that the Daiwa aluminum gears are holding up. I'm gonna try a reel with them. Almost all Shimano gears seem to have problems. My friends in the Shimano service business seem to have more gear business than they can handle.
Yeppers, I agree on many of your points. Off topic, but it's almost unbearable to watch a Tactical Bassin' video anymore when Matt touts the current MM geared Shimanos as "the most reliable and durable".

Honestly, if more gear ratios were available in the OG Steez and TDZ, along with available parts, I wouldn't even be adding any newer models to my arsenal
Most of us on here would love a few XS ratio TDZ's. :D

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:42 pm

Shimano doesn't need to abandon their micro module. Simply create something new that you could easily market, and keep using the micro gears on their bfs lineup. It would make perfect sense for the aldebaran bfs to to have micro module gears.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:41 pm

toddmc wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:21 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:28 pm
toddmc wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:36 am
Engaging the gears on a cast will cause the buzzing. As has been said, bad bearings and worn parts with do it also. The OG Zillion gears spoiled us for those of us that use that platform. It's good to hear that the Daiwa aluminum gears are holding up. I'm gonna try a reel with them. Almost all Shimano gears seem to have problems. My friends in the Shimano service business seem to have more gear business than they can handle.
Yeppers, I agree on many of your points. Off topic, but it's almost unbearable to watch a Tactical Bassin' video anymore when Matt touts the current MM geared Shimanos as "the most reliable and durable".

Honestly, if more gear ratios were available in the OG Steez and TDZ, along with available parts, I wouldn't even be adding any newer models to my arsenal
Most of us on here would love a few XS ratio TDZ's. :D
If I could really learn to crank LH, I would have a couple 7.1 TDZs in my arsenal.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:57 pm

When all that was available was right handed you didn’t have a choice. Now that lefty’s are all over the place it has me wanting but then if it sticks I’ll have to convert everything and that’s a pain in the rear.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:04 pm

Real Pudd legend wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:57 pm
When all that was available was right handed you didn’t have a choice. Now that lefty’s are all over the place it has me wanting but then if it sticks I’ll have to convert everything and that’s a pain in the rear.
Haha...funny how it can seem to always work out that way.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:27 pm

Real Pudd legend wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:57 pm
I made the switch to LH 15+ years ago now and haven't looked back since. The hardest technique for me to re-master was walking the dog. Now it's like clock work when I want that cadence. I still run several TD-Z variants, and they all have the 7 speed rocking and rolling.

As far as the US Zillion G, I got one of the first LH 6 ratio reels on the market. It's been on my primary spinnerbait/chatterbait rod ever since. I have my reels serviced annually at a minimum, and my reel is just as smooth and powerful as it was right out of the box.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:59 pm

I have 8 of these reels. About half of them I have had since their released. They have been used a ton on lakes like Fork, Rayburn and other Texas waters with heavy cover and big fish. Usually with 20lb flouro and 1/2- 3/4oz Texas rigs or jigs as well.
They have been put to the test and used on fish up to 9lbs. I have yet to have one single issue with the gears or their longevity.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:57 pm

M Perry wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:59 pm
I have 8 of these reels. About half of them I have had since their released. They have been used a ton on lakes like Fork, Rayburn and other Texas waters with heavy cover and big fish. Usually with 20lb flouro and 1/2- 3/4oz Texas rigs or jigs as well.
They have been put to the test and used on fish up to 9lbs. I have yet to have one single issue with the gears or their longevity.
Yours JDM or USDM? I know the G is technically the US model, but everyone with both models gave input...

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:50 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:57 pm
M Perry wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:59 pm
Yours JDM or USDM? I know the G is technically the US model, but everyone with both models gave input...
USDM

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:56 pm

I have ended up ordering the JDM G1 alloy gear sets to replace my buzzy gears. Hopefully the issue doesn't arise again so quickly.