22 Bantam for 3oz and under swimbaits

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
PotatoLake
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

22 Bantam for 3oz and under swimbaits

Post by PotatoLake » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:25 pm

I was curious what you thought of the new Bantams ability to handle lures in the 1-3 oz range. Debating on whether to get a burrito and sling it around with my Bantam. With a 2.8 oz lure, do I need something like a Tranx, or can the Bantam hang?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 22 Bantam for 3oz and under swimbaits

Post by Cal » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:29 am

The only limiting factor is if you can get enough line on the reel to be comfortable fishing the baits you want. When you cast, the reel is under free spool so there is no stress on the reel. Swimbaits, in general, do not provide any more resistance during retrieve than a deep diving crank. The baits you mentioned provide virtually no resistance at all.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

hmnginmn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hmnginmn » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:34 pm

The bantam can hang unless you're really trying to bomb the bait out there with a 7'11 rod. Like Cal mentioned line capacity is your enemy. I personally wouldn't use anything under 17lb... 20lb is where you're going to be safeish from cast offs, look for thinner than average fluro at 20lbs. OR you can go braid to leader (50lb absolute minimum, I recommend 65lb or 80lb Max Cuatro) to your choice of heavy mono or fluro.
Long live the Jerkbait

PotatoLake
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PotatoLake » Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:21 pm

hmnginmn wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:34 pm
The bantam can hang unless you're really trying to bomb the bait out there with a 7'11 rod. Like Cal mentioned line capacity is your enemy. I personally wouldn't use anything under 17lb... 20lb is where you're going to be safeish from cast offs, look for thinner than average fluro at 20lbs. OR you can go braid to leader (50lb absolute minimum, I recommend 65lb or 80lb Max Cuatro) to your choice of heavy mono or fluro.
Yeah, line capacity is for sure the angle I missed. Thank you both for giving me something to think about there. In the past, for my swimbaits I went 65lb braid to a 20lb Maxima leader. I might try a thinner diameter fluoro. I can't say my swimbait fishing has been super fruitful in the past. Maybe the fluoro will lead to a few more bites.

Does anyone know of a thinner diameter fluoro that's not quite as steep as Tatsu? Maybe something JDM I can add to an overseas order?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:35 pm

PotatoLake wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:21 pm
Does anyone know of a thinner diameter fluoro that's not quite as steep as Tatsu? Maybe something JDM I can add to an overseas order?
AbrazX is also pretty thin but if you're just going to use it as a leader, Seaguar's Gold Label is very good and the spools are smaller so the outlay is less even though the filler spools are much smaller.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"